Who here is buying NV or thermal in the next 365 days?

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a pinnacle so I'm trying to see based on recoil if I can run it on a 6.8 or 6.5. I have a 300 blackout that I'm a little worried about trying the PV-14 on. I run cans on all my guns as it increases my multiple kills by about 60%. I'm think this may reduce recoil enough to have no worries at all with either the 6.8 or 6.5.
I missed this comment earlier.

It's not only overall recoil, but the initial recoil impulse that can damage your PVS. I damaged an ITT filmed tube by shooting it on a 9mm integrally suppressed AR. The overall recoil is much less than even a standard 223 AR, but the initial recoil impulse was enough to cause the film and tube to touch causing black spots on the tube. Keep in mind it only took 2 times pulling the trigger to do the damage.

Turns out this initial recoil impulse is largely dependent on the diameter of the projectile, not the amount of powder behind it. So the lowly 9mm was a no go but 223 was no problem....

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Recent purchase - received from Aaron 12/11/2015: Pulsar XD50A thermal, 384, 50mm, 50hz.
Amazing image, amazing price!

1.5 pounds (light).
It looks HUGE, but it is light, not sure what they have got in this giant housing, feels like mostly air.
It has a bunch of useful reticles.
The zeroing system is different. You move an "x" around on the reticle to match the center of your group while the center of the reticle is pointed at the aiming point. Then the device calculates and stores your offset.
The controls are taking a bit to get used to, they are "icon" based and I haven't memorized what all the funny icons mean yet. But I am giving it some time.
The focus ring has a "high speed" handle on it, which is a great idea as it makes focusing much faster.
I worry a bit about the battery cover. It seems like it might "fly off" if you sneeze. But we will see.
The greatest aspect of this device is the clarity of the image. I've never seen anything like it.
I need to try to hook up some video.

Drift

LSB Member
Funny how different people can have different experiences. In my deer camp, 3 of us hunt with the 6.5 Grendel. And a couple o f guys show off their 6.8 SPC tactical rigs...but wont hunt with them because they think it's "not enough gun" . If I wasn't so heavily invested in the Grendel I would be happy enough to hunt with the 6.8.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Recent purchase - received from Aaron 12/11/2015: Pulsar XD50A thermal, 384, 50mm, 50hz.

The zeroing system is different. You move an "x" around on the reticle to match the center of your group while the center of the reticle is pointed at the aiming point. Then the device calculates and stores your offset.
The controls are taking a bit to get used to, they are "icon" based and I haven't memorized what all the funny icons mean yet. But I am giving it some time.

IIRC, there are 3 different ways you can zero it, one of which being the traditional way and then two different versions of their process.

The controls do take a bit of getting used to, but a night in the stand with cycling through them while scanning for critters and you will be a pro in no time.

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Aig

1.5 pounds (light).
It looks HUGE, but it is light, not sure what they have got in this giant housing, feels like mostly air.
It has a bunch of useful reticles.
The focus ring has a "high speed" handle on it, which is a great idea as it makes focusing much faster.
I worry a bit about the battery cover. It seems like it might "fly off" if you sneeze. But we will see.
The greatest aspect of this device is the clarity of the image. I've never seen anything like it.
I need to try to hook up some video.

Wig can you snap some pics of the scope on your rifle and of the battery compartment?

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Aye, here is pic of xd50 on a rifle ... this is 16 inch barrel (heavy profile) .22LR regular stoner 15 lower and mil carb std buffer ...

M7yGsDK.jpg

So that should give idea of size ...
Based on tomorrow's agenda I took it off the rifle now, will put it back on tomorrow. But I can take pics of btry comp shortly.

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That sucker is long. Sounds like a pretty incredible deal though.

JPK

LSB Active Member
I think a bunch of the length is rubber eye piece.

Wiggy, how long is the eye cup, and is it shuttered?

Thanks,

JPK

JPK

LSB Active Member
Note, click on images for full size :)

Ha! Learn somtin' new everyday!

With a body length of 11" (minus the eye cup) it would seem to be about the size of a 3-9x40 scope.

It seems the battery compartment is latched with a swiveling lever. If so, that is how the 19A's battery compartment is latched. I wondered how that would work on the 19A, but no issues so far and I find it easy and quick to use in the dark in the field too.

Thanks for posting the info, and the tip about expanding the photos.

JPK

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks great! My friend has one and he has been going hunting way more than his wife lets him ...; )

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Wig, housing is all polymer?

I would have to tear it apart to be 100% sure, but it seems like it. Maybe that is why it is so light!

==
With a body length of 11" (minus the eye cup) it would seem to be about the size of a 3-9x40 scope.

Yes in the length dimension, but the xd50 is wider and taller than a 3-9x I think.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
ATN ODIN 1x, 17mm, 320(30) Acquired in Jan 2016.

JvpwcIBh.jpg

Slides right into my MA/IC dual mount right beside PVS-14 ... works perfectly for my needs. Having thermal spotter hands free on helmet is a wonderful thing! :) Works for walking or riding on 4-wheeler. I've seen horses at 800yds with it and expect it can see farther (not counting moon - can see that also).

x4aRrPbh.jpg

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks good moving from one to the other how do,you eyes compensate. WhenI switch from thermal spotting to PVS-14 my pupils are dialed less from the light of the thermal so,it takes me a minute to get used to the NV again.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think a bunch of the length is rubber eye piece.

Wiggy, how long is the eye cup, and is it shuttered?

Thanks,

JPK
It sure does look big

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Looks good moving from one to the other how do,you eyes compensate. WhenI switch from thermal spotting to PVS-14 my pupils are dialed less from the light of the thermal so,it takes me a minute to get used to the NV again.

Well, the PVS-14 is on the left side in the dual mount on my helmet and the ODIN is on the right side in the dual mount on my helmet. So I'm not sure I am "moving from one to the other". Left eye always looking through PVS-14, right eye always looking through ODIN.
I do turn down the brightness on the ODIN a bit to minimize brightness balance issues (a.k.a. headaches). I've been out on 3 different observation walks of 2-4 hours duration with continuous use of this setup and have had zero headaches.
The images from left and right eye usually do not merge exactly (though sometimes they do) ... but neither do the left/right images from my MKIEB. I had eye surgery for double vision when I was a kid so my MKIEB have never really lined up exactly. Check yours. Focus on something 10ft away and close each eye one at a time and see if the item 10ft away shifts. It does for me.
Any way this is not "real fusion" but it is "poor man fusion" ... and it has additional flexbiilty that either device can be pulled off and repurposed. The PVS-14 could be mounted behind a day scope ... the ODIN can be a 1x sight on a .22LR or 5.56.
So this setup also has flexbility.

... It sure does look big ...
It has to be big to store all that air in there !!! :D
Hecque I don't know why it is so big .. but it isn't all that much bigger than the 75mm Zeus was.