Who here is buying NV or thermal in the next 365 days?

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 270AR was designed by Harrison Beene at ************** - one of the sponsors of LSB web site. High performance 5.56, 6.8spc barrels under $200, bolts and muzzle devices
The cartridge is a wildcat based on 6.5x47 Lapua brass. This round is designed to fire a 130grn round at 2750-2800+ fps from a 20" barrel.
Think 6.8 on Steroids,,, all in a AR-15 platform.

Dennis

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 270AR was designed by Harrison Beene at ************** - one of the sponsors of LSB web site. High performance 5.56, 6.8spc barrels under $200, bolts and muzzle devices
The cartridge is a wildcat based on 6.5x47 Lapua brass. This round is designed to fire a 130grn round at 2750-2800+ fps from a 20" barrel.

Dennis
Additionally, look for him here, posting as "Constructor". Inquiries emailed to infoATar15performanceDOTcom

Beacon22

Hog Hitman from NY
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Dennis
Sounds very interesting. I built an AR-10 but don't use it because I prefer the reduced recoil of my 6.8. I like the ability to get back on target quicker with the 6.8 when you are in a sounder.

So..... I wonder how the 270AR will be with regards to recoil vs. the .308 and the 6.8

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds very interesting. I built an AR-10 but don't use it because I prefer the reduced recoil of my 6.8. I like the ability to get back on target quicker with the 6.8 when you are in a sounder.

So..... I wonder how the 270AR will be with regards to recoil vs. the .308 and the 6.8

270AR recoil is more than the 6.8, and less than 308.

Duett Parrish

Just bought a
Like the title says baring unforseen circumstances who here will buy a night vision or thermal in the next 365 days? If so I have some questions?

1. What will you be buying night vision, thermal, or both?

2. What will you be using the equipment for?

3. Do you have a specific unit in mind if so which one?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

tommy cole

i ordered a zeus 3 , 336 ,42 60 hz, mostly beaver shooting. this is my first night scope. iknow nearly nothing anout them.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Where do you live Tommy? I once laid on a river bank for hours to shoot a beaver in the brain with a .17. That thing was so big I could barely drag it, but they are pretty smart.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
CD the 19 or 35?? Hey man good on ya!!! Hope to see some video and pictures of your night time escapades!! Good luck! BANG BANG!!

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I ordered an IRD Hunter MK II.
The ribbing we gave you on Friday out at the meet and greet finally got to you? ;)
Congrats, you're going to love it!

I just picked up a new to me item. A Mod 3 dual tube setup with a pair of ANVIS tubes that are looking pretty clean. I should have it in hand tomorrow. The ability to see what I'm tripping on with both eyes has had some appeal for a while.....

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The ribbing we gave you on Friday out at the meet and greet finally got to you? ;)

Yeah, the minute I looked through Rick's, I knew I had screwed up. It helped that my wife was willing to write the check for the order.

JPK

LSB Active Member

I just picked up a new to me item. A Mod 3 dual tube setup with a pair of ANVIS tubes that are looking pretty clean. I should have it in hand tomorrow. The ability to see what I'm tripping on with both eyes has had some appeal for a while.....

When I was gearing up my son and I, I tried the two PVS 14's I got as duals using an IC bridge. Wow, I sure do like duals a heck of a lot more than a single. Had to pick up another PVS 14.

The increase in depth perception is fantastic, and, at least for me, so is the increase in FOV. I don't feel like I'm looking down a toilet paper tune.

I keep thinking about a Mod 3 set up to cut weight, but I really like feature of the IC bridge that allows one PVS 14 to swing out of the way to use a thermal scanner.

Looking forward to a report on your Mod 3 set up.

JPK

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When I was gearing up my son and I, I tried the two PVS 14's I got as duals using an IC bridge. Wow, I sure do like duals a heck of a lot more than a single. Had to pick up another PVS 14.

The increase in depth perception is fantastic, and, at least for me, so is the increase in FOV. I don't feel like I'm looking down a toilet paper tune.

I keep thinking about a Mod 3 set up to cut weight, but I really like feature of the IC bridge that allows one PVS 14 to swing out of the way to use a thermal scanner.

Looking forward to a report on your Mod 3 set up.

JPK
I'm really curious to compare your experiences with the dual PVS14's and mine with the Mod 3.

Some weekends I'm out with guys that have all the cool toys, thermal/i2 etc and other weekends I'm the only one with them so I wanted a way to share the toys. For that reason the modularity of the Mod 3 system really appeals, but then the dual PVS offers many of the same benefits. I just came across a deal I didn't want to pass up on the Mod 3.

The ability to run dual tubes or easily sway to two mono setups sure sounds like a good idea, I'll be curious to see how I like it in practice. I do like the IC bridge allows one tube to swing away..... Always fun trying out new toys!

JPK

LSB Active Member
I hear you on wanting to have enough gear to share, and hopefully get buds addicted so they buy their own stuff. My No 1 predator hunting bud is not there wrt to being able to buy his own stuff, he is not long out of the Army and still very active in the Reserves, much younger and has a very young family, it's nice to be able to share with a guy like him.

On the sharing note, it took one weekend with the Patrol and MKII before I bought a Pulsar HD19A as a dedicated spotter. Very quickly got tired of passing the Patrol back and forth. 'Wow, look at that!..." "Hey, let me see!..." Over and over and over again.

The main drawback to dual PVS 14's is the weight. And that is where the Mod 3's would shine I think. Dual PVS 14's plus bridge = about 2lbs. For a counter weight, I'm using a surplus mag pouch with two 15rnd ASC 6.8 mags loaded with 110gr SSA TSX loads, plus two CR123A's and two AA's. Add the helmet and a hemet mounted IR light, NV mount and it has got to be near 5 or even 6lbs. Remarkably, I don't find the weight too heavy, in so far as getting a sore neck or getting tired. But with that much weight up top, I feel it at every moment and I wouldn't want to take off at even a slow jog. But even with all that weight up there - worth it!

JPK

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've a MKII 20mm on my rifle and love it. The buddy I've been passing things back and forth with just bit the bullet and ordered a Pulsar HD19A as well to add to his rig from Cliff at *******************. It didn't take too many trips out before he "had" to have a thermal too. Now with the Mod 3, we can both use a "pvs" and each have our thermal so it should make for much less "hey pass me the........".

I think you may be right about using extra 6.8 mags on there as counter weights. I've been enjoying my Crye Nightcap with my single PVS14, but it gets some hot spots after wearing it for a few hours so I upgraded to a Team Wendy to join the cool kids.

Moving to the Mod 3 also lets me just carry CR123A batteries while I'm out and about instead of adding AA's to the mix.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Benefits of using a surplus mag pouch and magazines for a counter weight are that the surplus pouch is cheap and you already have the magazines, in addition, adjusting weight for a dual set up or for a single is as easy as taking a mag out of the pouch. And then, if you ever get into them beyond your expectations, you have your spare ammo too.

Attaching a MOLLE mag pouch to a TW is easy using HD wire ties and the rear bungee. Fwiw, you want a covered mag pouch.

As you know, the Patrol uses 123's, the PVS 14's AA's but doesn't go through them like a thermal. The 19A uses four AA's, which give a pretty decent run time, for a thermal. So I need to carry both spares. I Just set up my 35mm MK II with the UNV Anker remote battery pack, which should give it all night run time at 30htz. I attached the pack to the left side of the butt since I'm a lefty.

I have a Nightcap, works well for a single, but doesn't offer the support for a dual set up. I never thought I'd wear a helmet, I'm 54, overweight with a good gut and zero desire to be "tacticool," but to my surprise, I really like wearing the TW.

If you are interested in a small, lightweight IR light for your TW, you can find a remarkably capable, zoom able AA powered 3w light for about $9 that will mount to the TW side rail with an inexpensive 1" Weaver scope ring by googling "eBay IR flashlight."

JPK