Florida Bear Hunting

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Guns would make it a lot easier but being night hunting it will never be safe

Drift

LSB Member
That map of bear range in Fla is old and inaccurate. By the map, the ranch I hunt has no bears on it, and ,there is no legal hunting in this part of Fla . Still they have been tearing up our feeders for the last 4-5 years. They are growing quit large. If anyone remembers "gentle ben" he was a Fla bear. Perhaps something will be done about it in the future.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It won't be long before it ends up like gator hunting. They will open it up to the whole state and set it as a lottery

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This new Florida state record. 720lb Black bear killed by FWC as a nuisance bear, hope a hunter gets his brother, this our first season in a long time.

11091508_981043285247806_5345383906212157897_n.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
THAT... is a BIG black bear ! Bigger than many inland/arctic grizzlies! Amazing critter.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yes sir and there have been 3 killed in that range by FWC or cars. I can't wait to see what the hunters bring in this year. Permits are only $100

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Keep us up to speed on results, please. Love bear tales.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
there were over 1500 permits sold and they will close the season as soon as 350 or so(i think is the #) are killed, I expect a day or 2 season

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I can't imagine how a black bear can get that big. That thing is a giant! A 300 lb black bear is a big bear, but getting 5-6-700 lbs is hard to believe.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I can't imagine how a black bear can get that big. That thing is a giant! A 300 lb black bear is a big bear, but getting 5-6-700 lbs is hard to believe.

Food trash.

Look at the size of his muzzle in relation to shape and size of his head. The muzzle appears very short. This is definitely a very very large and overweight bear. Food trash is the only way I know of that a black bear can get like this, especially in areas as hot as Florida or Texas where annual hibernation is not the norm.

They love food trash but once a bear gets used to it and dependant on it they are almost as good a dead. They will eventually have to be destroyed as a nuisance animal or public safety threat.

FYI the black bear in my avatar is actually a bear from Starr County in Deep South Texas.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes you are right, they are seen at the dump, around trash cans and FL because of little winter lots of native natural food then they eat 365 days a year and do not hibernate.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Living in the mountains for so long, the average bear shot is really around 150 lbs to 200 maybe. I guess all that hill climbing and hibernating doesn't produce very big bears. They walk a long ways to find food, they are always on the move if not napping.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In addition they destroy deer feeders on leases when headed to the dump or other feeding grounds. We have had as many as 8 damaged in a couple of days. There are many leases and hundreds of feeders in our area.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just read that there are quite a few bears of that size here in Florida. They were left alone and don't hibernate much so they are getting huge. That's why Florida decided to open hunting season again. My question is how they will end the season at a certain number. How many hunters go out for a week and have no way to get updates about the season being closed?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For reference, coastal brown bears, and inland grizzlies (in Alaska) are nearly identical. It's the abundance of food/quality food that makes a coastal brownie get to 1000#, and why inland grizzlies are half that (and smaller).

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Largest Florida bear on record caught in Seminole County ...
www.wesh.com/news/largest-florida-bear-on...in.../30845246
WESH
Jan 22, 2015 - Largest Florida bear on record caught in Seminole County, weighing 740 pounds

Well here is an ever bigger one...yes they (FWC) put him down too.

Florida wildlife officials have approved the killing of 320 black bears next month during the state’s first bear hunting season in more than 20 years.
Rocker Ted Nugent is among the more than 1,800 people who’ve purchased permits so far. But the commissioned waited until nearly 5 p.m. to take public comment. Kate MacFall, the Florida director for the Humane Society of the United States, reiterated the group’s opposition to the hunt. She said any harvest limits could be arbitrary if trophy hunters flood Florida’s wooded areas on the first weekend of the season and exceed the limits before officials can stop the hunt.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just read that there are quite a few bears of that size here in Florida. They were left alone and don't hibernate much so they are getting huge. That's why Florida decided to open hunting season again. My question is how they will end the season at a certain number. How many hunters go out for a week and have no way to get updates about the season being closed?
In some mountain states they actually drop fliers from planes in popular hunting areas to let you know quotas have been met.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In some mountain states they actually drop fliers from planes in popular hunting areas to let you know quotas have been met.
I'll bet the bears are relieved when they read those fliers.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They actually cover the fliers in bacon grease so they don't fly away. Strange thing is.... they have never found one.