Trespasser/Thief Problem

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have texted with a couple of you on this already and appreciate your thoughts. For the rest of you, I have a trespasser who has made multiple entries into my property and I recently got the guy on camera stealing one of my tools. Don't know who he is. Notified the Sheriff's Office and filled out a complaint.

I would be just as happy if the guy never came back as I would him getting caught (which won't amount to much). It has been suggested that I post his picture at the gate where he makes entry to let him know that he is being documented. So my questions are these...do you think it will dissuade him from coming back in again? Or is this a bad idea for some reason?

I do have reason to believe he will be back. On the photo documented visit, he stayed over 2 hours before leaving with my tool.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah I would be posting his pic ..infact if you have a local FB site for news/lost dogs and such, like the paper, I would post it there t0o w a reward for his identity. I just hate thieves!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Every neighbor should have a copy, every nearby gas station/convenience store should have a copy, the local P.O. bulletin board should have a copy of the clearest pic, as well as a description of activity, and how his image was secured... with a request to ID him from all.

Would the local paper accept the "story/picture"?

Did I mention a bear trap on the floor of your shed? LOL

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am supposed to speak with the deputy later today. I will ask that they post his picture on their FB page.

As for speaking with the neighbors, I have some mixed feelings. He may be one of them. That could go badly in a heartbeat. I would like to avoid direct confrontation.

I see where a guy in PA set a booby trap for a trespasser that was composed of an airbag explosive and paint that painted the trespasser quite well. It was all caught on camera. Both the trespasser and the landowner received citations for their transgressions. I will avoid anything like that.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So you don't recognize him as a neighbor? Can you ask the neighbors you do know personally, they may be having the same problem you are.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think your deputies advice will advise you as to where to go from here.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You have more faith than me. My deputy was supposed to be in at 4:00 but now won't be in until Saturday. So far they have taken a report, asked if I would be willing to prosecute and testify, and thanked me for my time. It is a small SO with a minor complaint from the far corner in the county where there are only 25K people (whole county). I don't think they are going to resolve the issue anytime soon unless this guy gets picked up on something else.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well i was hoping you would get a better response...call in the Rangers!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree with Frank it would be nice to make his picture into a Wanted poster

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How about calling a Dallas Cty Dep and have him handle it?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have never seen a game warden in Montague County, but I know there is one and he is supposedly responsible for 2 counties. With that said, why call the game warden? I am not being argumentative, but just trying to understand the reasoning. There is no indication of poaching or anything hunting related at this point that would seem appropriate. However, I am not usually involved with such matters and so am not up to speed on how these things are done.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Last edited:

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would think if he saw his picture on a wanted poster he would go else where.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The game warden is a good person to notify because they know a lot of fine upstanding citizens who prefer to amend the rules to fit their needs. He/she might recognize his picture. Also, game wardens have more jurisdiction than most other LEO's.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
From my understanding, they trespass authority without the requirement for warrants, for one.