Today Was a GOOD Day.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't know if "normal" qualifies. LOL But, indeed, and, thanks Frank.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Could not happen for a nicer guy!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow... just received a confirmation of my thoughts from earlier, in which I talked about the Good Lord doesn't take something from you without having something better to give you.

I sent an email to my former work partner at the drilling island I was working while doing my bear guard job. As much as I enjoyed that particular job, and the opportunity to study/watch polar bears in the wild IN PERSON... my former work partner told me that drilling has ceased on the island, and the 200 bed camp (we kept FULL) has 27 people in it now.

I don't know if they just ceased drilling due to the price of oil, or whether they finished the drilling they had scheduled and scratched the expansion plans they were planning (due to the price of oil). Before the drop in prices, they were planning two phases of expansion for the island. They were going to increase (by 2/3) the number of wells to drill, and were planning to construct a second island. I had hoped to finish my working days doing that job.

So, it would appear to me, a confirmation that, although I didn't understand the why/how (etc.) of my being laid off... and, the financial struggles I faced the last year... the Good Lord brought me a much better means of a living when the dust settled in this chapter of my life. For that, I am very grateful.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
God Is good and we should never doubt him...I wonder everyday as I am sure each of us do.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The energy business is in dire straits right now. We laid off 19 more pilots last Wednesday as I was leaving work. The guys with the least experience had over 8 years with the company. That kind of experience is hard to replace, so you know thing are bad when a company is forced to get rid of people they will have trouble replacing when things turn around. I was hoping to work till next year before retiring, now I'm hoping the company will still be here next year.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Being an oil field brat thru to 1968 and worker in the 70's &80's it is all cyclical and happened more than any of us wanted and still does. It will get worse, then better, then worse then a boom, then fall apart all over again.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So, there I was (as I do very often these days)... taking a number at my local (family run) lumber yard, just 1/2 mile from my house. Needed to pick up something for a job I'm working. "Walter" (a long time salesman there) calls my number, notes the company name on my t-shirt and brings up the account. Doing as he's supposed to do, he asks my name... then his brow furrows a bit after I tell him and he says: "You're NOT Charles Greene, I know Charles Greene." I show him my driver's license and he smiles, and says: "OH!!! You're a Junior !!" I'm third generation customer of this location. He knew my dad from his days of being a cement finisher and/or buying materials for around the house. I've conducted business with him before, but he apparently never connected the name before. We had a nice/brief chat, finished our business and I headed back to the job with my materials. Gotta love it.

My mother's father also did business there in the 20's.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on the opportunity!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I basically left home at 18 and have lived all over since then. Those kinds of moments just don't happen to me. I do miss that type of connection to my family and past though. Glad you had the opportunity to connect with a stranger at a most unexpected place and time.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Same here Chopper, ya'll are my new family

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'll take that. I feel the same. Wait till you start getting to the meet and greets, it will feel even more like a family to you.