Today Was a GOOD Day.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gonna be busy. Had a day of classroom training today for the "911 Driving School" gig (part-time). This is a multi-state franchise entity. For WA State, "Driver's Ed" is no longer funded by the school districts, so this company is one of the competing private firms contracted to provide the classroom/road training/written exams/road testing to qualify new drivers for their operator's license. We also provide one-on-one in-car training, as well as classroom training for those who let their license expire and need to pass the written/driving test. We also assist those who possess a valid O/L for another country to acquire a WA State O/L. Once I obtain my Instructor's Certification, I can complete another full day's training to receive my Examiner's Certificate to conduct the final road testing. This is appearing to be a pretty sweet deal, make my own hours I choose to work once I receive my certification. The office I'll work from is within 2 miles of my home. 911 Driving School hires ONLY former LEOs for their Instructors positions. They choose NOT to get involved with court mandated Defensive Driving "re-learning", or the court mandated DUI training. Less headaches that way.

The full-time gig I've landed is a regular Mon-Fri 0800-1700 hrs. carpenter's job. This too (thus far) appears to be a pretty nice gig. In-house design/architecture, working off pre-approved plans to help guide my efforts. Even a guy that shows up to haul away the debris. The other facet of the company is a "Handyman" service to provide routine small job help for minor repairs. So far, I'm feeling pretty good about these opened doors for me. Very thankful.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh... (BTW), my experience with the job hunt. Once I found/used the "Indeed" job search web site, not only was I finding jobs I was interested in applying for, but, received more than one email from sources who were inviting me to submit a resume and schedule an interview. In fact, the Driver Training Instructor job was one of them. The company owner does a search of any former/active LEO listed in someone's resume. That's how he found me after I'd posted a copy of my resume online with Indeed. So, I found one job in the field in which I was searching (through "Indeed"), and one which I'd've never even considered looking at. Nice tool, from either end of the hiring process.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Day #1 on the new construction job went very well. Starting out next week to help with a new project (demo), a kitchen remodel. And... the rumblings I'm hearing is that I may get assigned a new job on the following week. Time to get my feet wet and start showing what my capabilities are.

Seems like a nice company to work for, a good crew of folks thus far. Today, helped one guy with a concrete pour he was doing, then paired up with one of the Mgrs. for some warranty work, some estimation of extras, and some final wrap-up details for another job.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They found a jewel in having you join the company!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They found a jewel in having you join the company!
Or, at least a lump of coal to apply enough pressure/heat to... to MAKE a jewel. LOL Thanks though Frank.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Spent my day today doing "ride-a-long" as instructors were doing training of students. All in all, not a bad day. The hard part was to just sit back and keep my mouth shut since I wasn't the instructor. We had one driver that kept wandering a little too close to parked cars. I kept waiting to see mirror parts flying. LOL

Just over a week ago, one of the instructors got rear-ended while in the training vehicle... totaled it. Caved in the rear and pushed him into the car infront. Light weight little rigs, Nissan Versa Note. Surprisingly, very roomy in the back seat for such a tiny car.

The most humorous part of the day was watching two clowns at a bus stop. One of them was chipping his teeth at another guy who was sitting and reading the newspaper. Kept at it, until the guy launched from the bench and the two of 'em started exchanging "bitch-slaps" at one another. They both swung like girls. LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Damn who knew Carpentry might be safer than a driving instructor?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL, indeed. Luckily, no one was hurt. I saw pix of the damaged car last Wednesday. It got hammered.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Homie's too old for today's adventure. First half of the day, running a 60# jack-hammer (horizontally, on a vertical wall)... the last half of the day, swapped to a 30# jack-hammer. It's a 3 Ibuprofen evening. LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is brutal for an old man!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes! It is... I'd go so far as to call it "elder abuse". LOL

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No argument from me on that. Surprisingly though... not too stiff this morning. Of course... I was asleep by 2030 last night, and slept until 0600 this morning too. LOL

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Today was written test/road test day. Got a 98% for the written and aced the road test. So... one step closer at getting my Instructor's Certification. And, it was a great day for a drive to go for the tests... about 80 miles round trip in the warm sunshine. Only thing which would've been "more gooder" would've been taking that ride on the bike... but, had to take the truck to do the road test with. C'est la vie.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
80 mile road test they could have done in 10 miles! Wed my Buds are leaving Bandera for Ca the the Ride to the Wall in DC, then back to Bandera...just crazy on 2 wheels! Last year they went to maine then back to TX 11,000 miles in 2 mos

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No, I had to 80 mi. R/T to go TAKE the tests. The road test was done locally around the licensing office. LOL

The first five years after I bought my bike, I logged 125,000 miles on it (while working full-time too). I used to log some serious saddle time. I typically wore out two rear tires and one front per year.

I need to set aside some time to do some work on it so I CAN ride it more though.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sweet !!! Got the word. State of WA has issued my Certification. I'm clear to begin taking students as an Instructor on my side job !!!

It was looking pretty dark there for a while, but, the Good Lord has opened a couple of nice doors for me with these two jobs. The last time I went through this fiasco (back in 2010), I heard a tidbit which was a nice piece to hold to. The gist of it was that if you find something being taken from your grasp, let it go... the Lord will replace it with something better. He did then... He has once again this time. The "path" between losing my last job and gaining these two was pretty rough... but, He's kept me afloat thus far. I'm no longer having to live in airports for three days a month, I'm no longer spending $800/mos in plane tickets, and I'm home every day. And, I'm making more per hour (straight time) than I was having to earn by 44hrs/wk in overtime. I also have a good means of income to fall back on once my bones object too much to my work in construction.

My point? We don't know what another is going through in their life. If you're facing hard times, trust Him while you're going through the struggle/test. I'm not "out of the woods", but, have a believable/doable means of tackling it head on.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Man I am so glad you are doing better and getting back to normal...Thank the Lord!