Thermal PVS-7

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
After using a helmet I have learned to hate them, to me this looks perfect! In fact it just reminded me I have a Faux helmet with all the mounts I need to sell!
I'm not a fan of helmets, but they serve a purpose. I tried everything I could think to headmount my pvs14 before giving in and getting a helmet. I even rigged up a picatinny rail on a baseball hat brim, it worked but wasn't as secure and stable as it needed to be...

The current head strap works kinda, but it's front heavy and requires more rearward head tilt than is ideal. I'll likely try an extra over the top of the head strap to see if that helps. In the mean time a supporting hand works perfectly.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just mount it on a chest strap and use an old submarine periscope.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
'Das a GOOD dog !!

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That thing has some awesome clarity for being so small. Really make me want to rig something to mount on my truck and mule when driving lights out.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That thing has some awesome clarity for being so small. Really make me want to rig something to mount on my truck and mule when driving lights out.
That's in the plan as well. The modular aspect of this core offers so many host options.....

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Are you using the optional HDMI module with you vue? If so, does the image look as clear as the video?

Thanks

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are you using the optional HDMI module with you vue? If so, does the image look as clear as the video?

Thanks
I'm not, I have one on order to see if it makes any difference but I'm currently plugged into the usb.

The image recorded by the internal SD card may be a bit better than what I see through the goggles, but if there actually is a difference, it's minimal.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
very cool

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's always more fun to share.... And how better to share the fun of a thermal than to allow multiple users to view what's being seen at one time.

I mentioned earlier in the thread about the idea of adding a video transmitter to the unit, this is what I've come up with so far.

I added a second cavity to the 3d printed part that holds the Flir Vue Pro in order to accommodate this 5.8 vtx.

600mw 5.8.jpg

Some screen shots of the CAD design.

ZvgNvxQm.png

M5yqcAjm.png

lOI3Quqm.png

Add in a circular polarized antenna instead of the basic whip that it comes with and you end up with this:

L9bVjPSm.jpg

MEmd9Jmm.jpg

Wires that can be seen in the bottom view are well tucked away under the shroud and behind the Flir. I may see about working out a better cover for them, but they really aren't as exposed as they look in the pic.

So far all works as expected, but I'll be trying to get out and do some range testing over the next few nights if I can wrangle some friends to help out. With my drones, I've had no problem getting 1/2 mile distances with clear transmission. However with both the transmitter and receiver on the ground, I'm optimistic that I'll get a couple hundred yards if I avoid obstructions in between them.

This is one option I have for others to view the images. It's 7" monitor with built in battery and video receiver.
LCD.jpg

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lock and load!!! (Here Kitty-kitty-kitty...)

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks guys, I'm having fun with the modular aspect of this thing. It really lends itself to all kinds of options.

I'm really hoping Flir offers their Boson 12 micron sensor in a similar configuration. It would be great if BAE offered their's in a compact package as well.

One other config I've been playing with, but still have some work to do is a pan/tilt setup for remote viewing. Think about being able to set a pod on top of a feeder hours before going out hunting. Then when you arrive that night, you're able to look around with a thermal camera from that perspective even if you're a couple hundred yards away. There are so many times where due to an angle or tree outcropping, I wasn't able to see a sounder approaching the feeder until it was almost there. However they would have been visible from much further off from the feeder's perspective. Or just sticking the pod up on a pole for a better view through the weeds. Most of us have seen BushmanLA's aerial videos (which are absolutely awesome BTW) where there was no chance of seeing things unless you get in the air. I'm hoping to gain some of that advantage without the time limiting aspects of flying. Batteries last a heck of a lot longer when they aren't moving motors and propellors......

4vMtAOlm.jpg
2Opm9ARm.jpg
D6mXvBzm.jpg

So far it works, but the tilt swings in too large of an arc for the diameter of the shell. Also the shell viewing hole is not quite wide enough on the sides to not impede the overall view at the edges of the panning. The eventual plan is for the gimbal to be controlled with a head tracker, so I look right it looks right, I look down it does too. But that still has to be wired up as well. So far it's just controlled by an rc transmitter's thumb sticks.

Still moving forward...... and having a ton of fun with it!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You've got some serious cool going on there with that project. Nice work!!

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So we tested out the remote viewer last night. We'd set up a new feeder in different pasture than it had been in so figured we wouldn't see much, but we had visitors after all.

I enclosed the FLIR and video transmitter in a 3d printed shell that mounted on the top of a painter's pole. The pole was then mounted to a small 1 man deer stand. Once it was powered, I set the FLIR to take one still image every 30 seconds. This would happen while the live video output was sent to the video transmitter.
Photo Aug 31, 11 38 39 AM.jpg

This way, I could sit in one location and scan with my IR Hunter and also see the live feed from the FLIR Vue Pro that was almost 45 degrees off to my left as well as with a significantly higher vantage point. There were multiple times during the night that the overhead view could see animals that I couldn't see from the ground level. It was really cool to be able to check things out from multiple vantage points without having to physically move from my comfy spot.

Palestine copy 2.png

The time lapse was supposed to go all night but the battery ended up dying around 1 AM, but that still collected about 5 hours of footage. This time lapse is comprised of 600 (5 hours of 1 pic every 30 seconds) still frames pics that are being played back at 10 frames per second. I'll need to do some math to see just how big a battery I'll need to keep it going all night.

Talk about a great way to pattern the critters in an area!!!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Love watching deer roaming about.