Thermal PVS-7

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like to tinker.......

So the conversation in my brain went something like...........
Trying to constantly scan with my rifle mounted thermal makes my arms tired. I guess I can use a tripod each time. Heck no, that's annoying and cumbersome. I need a handheld scanner to look around, damn, I don't want to pay that much,...... I want a 640, damn the 640's are too high, don't want to pay the prices for a 640....
You can make your own........ oh well there went my free time, better learn some CAD.

While I've always wanted to put a thermal on one of my drones, I've always been too chicken to put that kind of money in the air and do more than fly it around line of sight. However I kept a eye on the best thermal cameras to do so. A little while ago FLIR came out with their VUE and VUE pro line. The main difference between the two is the pro line will record internally to a micro SD card and will connect to your phone via bluetooth for setting changes.

The modular aspect of these cameras that have no viewfinder intrigued me as something that could be made into other things. I've got lots more ideas that I'll be working on in the upcoming weeks...

So I picked up a FLIR Vue Pro 640 with the 19mm lens and decided I'd use some of my old FPV goggles as the viewer for the camera. Now fortunately these goggles already have a resolution of 640x480 so they made a good fit. Not to mention they have a much larger FOV to the eye than most of the thermal viewers I've looked through.

So the next question is how to mate this:
Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 5.22.49 PM.png

With:
2-1000x1000.jpg

So lets start with a mockup:
Photo Aug 05, 10 37 13 PM (1).jpg

Enter some rudimentary CAD design.....
Photo Aug 06, 5 25 25 PM.png

That then got more complicated.... I even added a picatinney rail to add an IR laser to later on for pointing things out to folks using NOD's and not thermal.
Photo Aug 10, 5 32 15 PM.png

Then on to 3d printing the design and testing some fitting...
Photo Aug 10, 2 23 46 PM.jpg

On to some rewiring of the goggles. Since the goggles natively take 6-13v and the FLIR lets out magic smoke above 6v, I added some voltage regulators. Also the FLIR uses the same pinouts as GOPRO cameras do, this make finding connection cables much easier!
Photo Aug 11, 9 29 33 AM.jpg

So CAD design and printing are doing well, so we'll go ahead and use some Sugru (rubber bonding clay) to connect the FPV goggles with the 3d printed mount to hold and protect the FLIR.
Photo Aug 11, 7 46 22 PM.jpg Photo Aug 11, 7 46 15 PM.jpg

Using a zip tie through the gopro mount for the FLIR to hold the thermal in place on the 3d printed part works great!!! Voltage works well. I can now use either the original 7v (2s) batteries that came with the goggles to power both the goggles and the FLIR, or any of the plentiful 5v battery packs that are out there. I just need to do some testing of battery life......

Quick clip testing out the internal recording:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome...I want one, how much?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now that is cool, so how much do you think you saved yourself by being more than handy?

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now that is cool, so how much do you think you saved yourself by being more than handy?
If you count time...... I'm behind.....

All in, not including time screwing with the CAD, a bit less than $4K. Not bad for a 640 30hz 2 eye viewer.

Not sure what a comparable monocular would cost, but being able to use both eyes is REALLY comfy.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you count time...... I'm behind.....

All in, not including time screwing with the CAD, a bit less than $4K. Not bad for a 640 30hz 2 eye viewer.

Not sure what a comparable monocular would cost, but being able to use both eyes is REALLY comfy.

I think those goggles will be so much better than helmets or hanging around your neck

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think those goggles will be so much better than helmets or hanging around your neck
It's a bit front heavy as it is. The whole thing minus the battery doesn't weigh much more than a PVS14, though I need to get it on the scale to see exactly what it weighs not that it's together. It's usable with just the behind the head strap, but it tilts down. I'll likely add an over the head strap to help that. But odds are it'll end up on a cord around my neck so I can raise it like binoculars when wanted. Not sure yet how I'll use it for sure....

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah that over the top strap should help alot then be able to take of and let it hang to use or put on.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now, fab up a printed mount to anchor it onto a bump helmet and you're golden !!! Good battery storage place for LiPos too.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very cool!

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What magnification is it do you think? That'd be nice if you have a ranger or a four-wheeler to just drive slow and scan.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What magnification is it do you think? That'd be nice if you have a ranger or a four-wheeler to just drive slow and scan.
It's not far off 1-1, but I need to do some testing and measuring to know for sure.

The goggles have a FOV of 30 degrees and the thermal's FOV is 32 degrees. So it might not be a perfect walk around device, but it's not like looking through a 3x mag.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So its a little closer to being like a gopro set on narrow field of view? I don't understand how to convert the FOV degrees into magnification terms.
Awesome set of googles you made though, wish I was that talented..did make me shop around at cores though.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
After using a helmet I have learned to hate them, to me this looks perfect! In fact it just reminded me I have a Faux helmet with all the mounts I need to sell!