time to set the record straight

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
lol..hogs turkey and anything else fall to the mighty .17WSM!

D

djones

negative postrider. you can't kill a hog with a 223 and you can't kill a turkey with a 17. granted i was using a 17 mhmr but that doesn't matter. also, fyi, only a practicing member of team OinK (not a paper member) can even kill a hog with a 300wtf.

here is my turkey with a headache after the 17 bounced off his gobbler

20170406_191406_zpsalkvneb7.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Why in the world would you even consider shooting a turkey in the head, when you still can't hit a full grown hog in the body at 50 yards?????

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like Mike Tyson....I had to bite his ear off...he kept punching me in the face.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
the 17 HMR is a dandy turkey rifle! base of the wing or base of the beard usually lays em right on over lol If for some reason i had to get rid off every gun i own but one, that is what i'd keep! it's been my truck rifle for years and man at the critters it's put down! lol

firemedic2000

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How far away is that bird. It looks a little far to be shooting with .17 hmr

D

djones

the top of that ridge is probably close to 350 yards. he was about 180 when i shot. hit him on the wing and knocked one of his feathers up so it's sticking straight out. saw him again yesterday and busted him again at just under 200. heard the bullet smack loud. he tried to fly but dropped back down. i might have broken his wing, but his legs were fine. no turkey.

i'm not trying to punish myself with the 17. landowner wants it shot with the 17 (his gun). would like to mount it and figured the 17 wouldn't blow him up. trying again tomorrow.

firemedic2000

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think thats just a little to far for a 17 hmr for shooting a turkey. Their feathers are ptetty thick. About 100 yrds is about as far as I'd push a 17hmr for what your doing.

If some one else wants to chim in do so. You are talking about a 17hmr right. Now for Varmints you'd be fine at that range. But for a turkey that's to far away. Won't kill it. Unless your lucky enough to hit it in the head maybe. But a body shot, it won't penetrate the feathers at that range

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep, 200yds is too far for a 17hmr.
Base of the neck would be a good bang/flop though - 100-125 tops.

D

djones

thnx but u guyz arent tellin me nuthin. i sed in first post 17 wont kill crap. chk out the energy on em. hes got a 17wsm tu but thats only bout 100 fps faster with a woppin 20gr boolit. thats like tryin to kill a hawg with a wtf.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A .17 Remington loses a lot of killing power after 100yds., and it has a lot more powder behind it.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I carried a 17 in my truck for years in Colorado and it was great for muskrats, beavers, gophers, prairie dogs but coyotes would run off if not a brain shot. I even shot a pigeon on a power line and it flew off. Mixed feelings about it. The Wsm seems to have a good extra pop to it. Just fun to shoot rimfires sometimes especially if you grew up with them.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
17 rem is a different animal
I understand that... my point is, that even with substantially more snot behind it, it faded very quickly after the initial screaming speed.