The Thermal Junkie

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I posted a version of this on THF. After seeing some posts here by new users and speaking with rgilbert last evening about his experience of getting hooked and now having a thermal monkey on his back, I thought I would post a modified version here...

Be warned, getting into NV will be like buying crack. Gen I is gateway nightvision. Sure, for a while you will tell yourself that you don't need NV and that you can stop using it at any time, and will continue to do so even as you are buying your next NV scope. Me, I bought some uncut Gen I Russian NV from a dark alley website, just for recreational use early on. Then, I found it could improve my hunting high, but soon, it just wasn't enough. I went next to a Gen II monocular, just to take the edge off. Then it was a Gen I rifle scope followed by digital rifle scopes, another Gen II monocular to share with guests, and somewhere along the way, speedballing illuminators and recorders. Now? I can't hardly get off on NV anymore. I have been mainlining thermal. It was just a little at first, then more and more. Now I have multiple dealers and a manufacturer on speed dial. I check websites and forums for updates and announcements about new gear and its use and even watch other junkie's videos. If I can't get a fix hunting, you can find me with my thermal, investigating my back yard at night, when the dog has treed a coon or possum.

Hi. My name is Brian and I am a thermal junkie. It has been 1 day(s) since I last turned on my thermal scope.

Last edited:

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It's a slippery slope and I'm sliding down it with you. I have gen 3 NV and a handheld thermal. It scratches the itch for a little while, but doesn't get me to cloud nine anymore. I'm going to have to step up to main lining a thermal scope. My name is Alex and it has been 1 day since I looked at a thermal manufacturer website and my fun money account to calculate when I can buy.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This made me laugh mainly because it is so true. I too have a prob but I can start to end the bleeding. With a NV mono, NV googles, NV clip-on, thermal spotter and thermal clip-on I pretty much have what I need.

My name is Eric and it has been a couple days since I last looked at thermal. Maybe I'm on the road to recovery. Lol.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I posted a version of this on THF. After seeing some posts here by new users and speaking with rgilbert last evening about his experience of getting hooked and now having a thermal monkey on his back, I thought I would post a modified version here...

Be warned, getting into NV will be like buying crack. Gen I is gateway nightvision. Sure, for a while you will tell yourself that you don't need NV and that you can stop using it at any time, and will continue to do so even as you are buying your next NV scope. Me, I bought some uncut Gen I Russian NV from a dark alley website, just for recreational use early on. Then, I found it could improve my hunting high, but soon, it just wasn't enough. I went next to a Gen II monocular, just to take the edge off. Then it was a Gen I rifle scope followed by digital rifle scopes, another Gen II monocular to share with guests, and somewhere along the way, speedballing illuminators and recorders. Now? I can't hardly get off on NV anymore. I have been mainlining thermal. It was just a little at first, then more and more. Now I have multiple dealers and a manufacturer on speed dial. I check websites and forums for updates and announcements about new gear and its use and even watch other junkie's videos. If I can't get a fix hunting, you can find me with my thermal, investigating my back yard at night, when the dog has treed a coon or possum.

Hi. My name is Brian and I am a thermal junkie. It has been 1 day(s) since I last turned on my thermal scope.

So Funny and true, that is why I will not even look through one!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I thought NV was all I would ever want to have, UNTIL I got to hunt with a quality thermal unit. I'm now hooked.

Hi my name is Rick and I'm a thermal/6.8 junkie!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I started with a pvs-14 behind a eotech and thought I owned the night everything was wonderful! Then one wicked night another user showed me the w1000 I resited but in the end the calling was too strong.

My name is Todd and I'm holding a thermal in my shaking hands now just staring at the on switch.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I can start a support group. ;) Part of the therapy is turning your thermal for 21 day period!!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like that, each of you in turn send your thermal to another member for 21 days, it will be good for you!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just trying to help other w their addictions...

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My name is FrankT... I'm a wannabe junkie... but, my ATN scope turned out to be oregano.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Too true RD too true!

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't even know why I'm reading this thread. Obviously, these guys have serious problems.

Sure, I've got a monocular, but it's just a Flir 24 (actually, it's a Raymarine, so it shouldn't even count). Even if I happened to get stopped and searched by a distributor, he'd probably just give me a warning to upgrade to a zoomable higher resolution.

And yeah, I've got it on a neck strap, but that's not to hide it or anything; a man's gotta protect his investment. And you never know when a critical situation might arise, like needing to know which beer in the cooler is coldest. Or if a snail throws heat. Or if I can write "Zeus" with my finger three times on my Photon 3x42 before the signature dissipates.

Sure, I recently switched my home, auto, and life policies to Germania, but my premiums only went up 30%. And changing companies makes sense, because I'm obviously not a Farmer.

And the reason I don't even bother to go outside when the humidity is over 70% is purely safety based. I mean, the human body consists of about 65% water, and it would be dangerous to do anything to upset that balance by breathing in even more. I've got my family to think about.

See? No problem here. I can't help it if I have buddies who don't understand why I don't rate women anymore on the scale from 1 to 10 but as "red hot", "white hot" or "black hot". And, frankly, it's pretty damn rude of them to refer to my occasional check to make sure my unit is OK as a "heat stroke".

Pretty disturbing to read these posts from sickos who obviously have some sort of therminal illness.

Last edited:

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just spent $15k at the Armasight booth during shot show.... Said two weeks to ship. Pretty sure the UPS guy thinks I have a crush on him cause I stare everytime he drives by.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you guys are OK NO problems!! yeah right...

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ahh...must have the wrong site...I was trying to order a pizza.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hi! My name is David and I am a junkie. I thought I could resist because it was so expensive and after all I am a practical type person. Then, I found out my wife was an enabler. Sure it seemed innocent at first when she said "buy that gen 1 scope, it's only $650. That was when it all started to come apart. Then I just had to go hunting with Afalex1. He introduced me to gen 3 NV. I had never experienced a high like that. Now I have my own gen3, a thermal spotter and 3x lens. I'm waiting for a weapon mount to use the NV behind an Eotech and the 3x. Please help me, I already dream of greater highs. Does anyone need a used car or boat that I can turn into a thermal scope.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My name is Ed. I quit night vision hunting and have my feeders only spinning day time hours! :)