The DARKSIDE 300 BLACKOUT.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i'm on 'team screwed'... i mean 'skewed'. get him. i got your back!!!
popcorn_zpsbzyipy5c.gif
It must have been hard being pick last for teams everytime growing up.

Wait must be positive.... grrrrr

DJ you are soooooo funny!

Steve

LSB Member
i'm on 'team screwed'... i mean 'skewed'. get him. i got your back!!!
popcorn_zpsbzyipy5c.gif
Someone disagrees with the almighty texas law man and all his cronies show up to chime in their two cents :D Nobody disagree with the almighty or ya get the 3rd degree. Texas Law Man for Gov! lol

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well he does own the forum and you get what you deserve for antagonizing any owner of anything...pretty stupid if you ask me...just sayin'

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Someone disagrees with the almighty texas law man and all his cronies show up to chime in their two cents :D Nobody disagree with the almighty or ya get the 3rd degree. Texas Law Man for Gov! lol
I didn't notice anyone jumping on any band wagon here for either side.

D

djones

Could just be that Todd shoots, tests, and uses this stuff everyday and people have grown to respect not only him, but also what he has to say...
paaa-leaaase!!!!! somebody's bucking for another banner!!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
With the 300BLK,your bullet speed AND associated energy/momentum levels drops off pretty fast when you start subtracting anything from a 16" bbl. Remember we are using primarily pistol powder and for the most part dealing with below mid gas.
When you drop down to pistol length gas systems there is not enought bbl length before the gas ports left for the faster vels. These slower vels are what makes the Barnes 110gr "black tips" so appealing. They will still open to "optimal" on out past 200+yds even coming out of a AR pistol and/or SBR.
Seems that my buddy tested them out of his 10.5" and 12.5" SBR's and they were good out to 275yds or so. The NosBalTip 125gr Varmint is another good bullet for the 300BLK as is the Sierra 125gr Pro Hunter. --- pruhdlr

iFlyLow

With the 300BLK,your bullet speed AND associated energy/momentum levels drops off pretty fast when you start subtracting anything from a 16" bbl. . --- pruhdlr

The muzzle velocity, bullet drop, and energy charts don't bear that out. There is about 200fps difference with identical loads (regardless of the load) when fired with 9" and 16" barrels, and about a 200ftlbs energy difference. The bullet drop charts show about a 20 to 30 yd difference for equal drops from the 2 different barrels (480 vs 450 yards for 100" of bullet drop).
I won't argue the ballistic prowess of the 300 blk, only that there isn't a significant drop-off from shorter barrels. I think that is one of the reasons for it's popularity (along with the sub/super thing).
Disclaimer - I have a 10.5" 300 pistol, and a 16" Wilson Combat barreled (also pistol gassed) 300 rifle. While I have only shot them @ 100yds or so, I don't notice a significant difference in performance with identical ammo.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Love your RG iFlyLow!

iFlyLow

Love your RG iFlyLow!
Thanks. That shot was taken from our identical 182 in formation by my other pilot while we were flying home from picking this one up at the paint shop!

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another bruiser succumbed to the .300 Blackout last night. A friend of mine's gf put this ol boy down last night with a sbr. I hunt this ranch regularly and we have not been able to break the 200lb threshold, evidently it was so easy a girl could do it on her 1st hunt ever. He went 220. She also had her other hand tied behind her back... her thermal was an older ATN 320 unit!IMG_57841.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice! pretty Girl!!

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Beauty and the beast.
(sorry, low hanging fruit).

LSB Active Member
I'm really new here, but I believe perhaps you are seeing something that isn't there. I have no dog in this hunt I'm an old fart stuck on a garden variety 308 for better or worse. My vested interest in the 300bo/6.5/6.8 debates is simply curiosity et al my lens for viewing said discussions is simple curiosity, not defending or advancing a particular view.

Last edited:

AKay

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just got back from the range shooting my newly tweeked SBR. I put together a 300 with a 10.5 rainier barrel, geissele MK4 forearm and a Young Mfg chrome bolt group. It shot great. Only had magpul flip up sites. Had not failures in the 100 rounds I put through it. Shot 123 grain magtech ammo. All of the gen3 magpul mags worked. If I get my scope I can use it next week when I pig hunt in TX.