i need a new gun

cletus

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
nice shooting while having malfunctions. maybe you can give dubbs some tips he just gives up!hahahaha

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I recommend some TLM in your life, while your clearing the weapon I'll lay down cover fire.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
2 things DJ, adjustable gas block and ASC or CPD mags and your issues are finished.
Thanks for the story and video...hope the hand gets better.

D

djones

lots of gud advice here. looks like scram got it. apparently i'm not supposed to breast feed while hunting. who knew??
typing is limited with hand messed up, but here's the finger i promised. i think they used a too bigga hammer, but as long as it bends... therapy shud work out the orientation kinks in time.
finger_zps559orshe.jpg

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
lots of gud advice here. looks like scram got it. apparently i'm not supposed to breast feed while hunting. who knew??
typing is limited with hand messed up, but here's the finger i promised. i think they used a too bigga hammer, but as long as it bends... therapy shud work out the orientation kinks in time.
finger_zps559orshe.jpg
That ought to cut into the love life a bit......

D

djones

if y'all havent figured out by now... i lie. even my title is bogus. i'm happy with the gun, just not the way it's currently functioning. but i do appreciate y'alls sincerity in helping.

hdfireman reminded me to go back to basics and figure out what's wrong instead of just replacing stuff or trying something different. genius. i will chk the action and see if i can tell WHY it's jamming. i really think it's magazine related. the cpd wouldn't even fit in all the way and got stuck when i forced it (go figure). so scram, you weren't so helpful after all. i can prolly still continue the breast feeding while hunting.

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
DJ -

Sorry about your gun issues - any lesser Man's confidence would be shaken in making shots, you managed well but you're correct , you're gonna get trampled on again with that gun and the manner in which you hunt.

D

djones

i'm a little embarrassed to admit some of the dumb things i do, especially when i know in advance it was stupid. one of the last hogs i shot on the edge of the corn ran in after he was hit. i thought he'd be laying there just a few rows in, so i went after him... with the gun that had been jamming all night... with a hand that just had a finger bitten off and hammered back in. i went in all the way to the first pivot tire rut, which is too far. so yea, at the minimum i need my gun to work.

that reminds me of a similar hunt last year with a pof in 6.5 creedmoor. i was sighting in a friends atn mars 6x. got a pretty good shot on a hog with it, but he made it into VERY tall grass. i knew better than to go after him, but i really wanted him and he should have been dead. i entered the grassy corridor with pistol and flashlight. he growled when i got close, and the top of the 8 foot grass disappeared from the skyline as it gave way to his charge. fortunately it was so thick, he had a hard time getting through in his condition, and i was able to retreat back to the truck.

i felt the creedmoor was enough firepower, so i held the flashlight against the hand guard and let the barrel lead the way back in. i still couldn't see him when he charged, so i started firing in the direction of the snarls. after a few shots the flashlight somehow shut off, and i lost my footing, stumbling to the ground in darkness.

i kept my bearings from the moonlight and kept firing where the grass was slapping the ground under his pounding hoofs. the whole magazine emptied flawlessly in a few seconds. i don’t have the words to describe how i felt lying silently on the ground with an empty weapon, straining to hear if an agonizing death was still headed my way.

pof_zpspfumipzt.jpg

anyway... i've got a hot tip for clearing up the jam and i'm very hopeful. so much so that i may just go right into battle without testing it. ok that would be stupid, but what else is new.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have always heard if you run a suppressor you need to have an adjustable gas block. If the proper CPD mag would not fit in then your lower may be out of spec or you have bigger problems.

Anyway don't worry we all do stupid things one time or another and most have lived to tell about it

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have always heard if you run a suppressor you need to have an adjustable gas block. If the proper CPD mag would not fit in then your lower may be out of spec or you have bigger problems.

Anyway don't worry we all do stupid things one time or another and most have lived to tell about it
I suppress every AR I have and have never found the need for an adjustable gas block on any of my DI guns due to taking the suppressor on or off. I get a bit more gas in the face with a can on them, but they cycle just fine...

Only AR that I ever needed an adjustable block on had a barrel that the gas port had been over drilled by a previous owner.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ok smarty pants, but it cannot hurt...lol

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
DJ's lower is probably just fine as well - the CPD magazine is more likely to be out of spec due to him having success when he first used PRI mags.

I've never really understood why I have to tweak feed lips, mag springs, and receivers to get reliable functionality , especially on factory or assembled equipment from vendors.

Unfortunately it reminds me of the days of Windows "Plug and Play" when absolutely nothing lived up to that standard in Win 95 and Win 98 days.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hunt... Sorry bout the malfunctions. Good luck getting it straightened out

D

djones

i do have an adj gas blk. when i set it, i stopped as soon as it locked back on empty. i should have opened up a little more for good measure. it may be marginal. that would explain everything. i'm told there's no way 3 pri mags would all jam unless something else is wrong.

btw, the cpd mag is too tight, this is what it did to my upper. all other pri mags and 223 mags fit fine. waiting to see what cpd says. i'd rather just file some metal off rather than exchange it.

jake - IF you were right, don't get the idea i'm going to start paying attention to you just because you had a lucky guess.

20160728_193120_zpsgtqbvfal.jpg

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would never expect that ha. I just hope you get that machine running right. Your poor ammo supplier is wondering why he has taken a pay cut, his kids gotta eat DJ!