AR15 in 45 ACP

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good news, can't wait till your feet test it out!!
LOL... I noticed that too. Figured that fat fingers and phone keyboards met for that one.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just thought maybe young and blonde? Or text to speech was the culprit.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow .015 out that is persnickety. We look forward to testing.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
.015 is a lot in the machining world.

I've been playing with the Macon Armory 45 acp upper for a while now. Let me say it is really fun! I worked up some hand loads, but I wasn't too satisfied with the results. I'm going to try some different bullets next time and if the results are better I'll give a more thorough report. Winchester whitebox and tulammo fmj work well

Right now the gun.doesn't like to feed truncated cone, flat nose hollow points (hornady 200 grain xtp), or swc bullets. Macon Armory is redesigning the feedramp on their HK USC mag adapter to fix this. However, it functions flawlessly with round nose fmj, round nose lead, and round nose flat point lead. These are the bullet profiles that the feddramps and chamber were designed around.

When I get more information and testing I will report in again.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My Beretta CX4 Storm will feed 45ACP full wadcutters after I did some polishing on the feed ramp AND the chamber. I also contoured the underside of the feed lips on the OEM Beretta mags. --- pruhdlr

Last edited:

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Alex I know this has been a challenge but is sounds like you are moving forward to get it to work for your needs. Good luck.
PS XTP rounds are so close to round like FMJ. Still it does not like feed is that what I am hearing you say?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The 200 grain xtp bullet is not shaped like typical fmj bullets at all. It is a straight taper and not an elipse or radius like fmj. Because of the straight taper it pushes the nose of the bullet too high when going up the feed ramp. This causes the bullet to ram into the upper part of the feed cone that is machined into the barrel extension. In turn the bullet is set back and a failure to feed occurs.

Fmj or "hardball" ammo feeds perfectly. Lead round nose flat point feeds well too as long as the flat (meplat) isn't to large.

Rudy at Macon Armory has really taken my issues into consideration and is doing everything he can to make this gun feed with nearly any ammo and 100% reliable. A lot of 45 pistols are really finicky about feeding different shaped bullets. The 45 acp is such a short, fat round it is not really conducive to easy feeding.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Rudy, at Macon Armory, sent me a new magwel adapter. The machine quality and finish work is superb. It fits extremely well in my lower and runs like a top. This new adapter allows me to shoot 200 and 230 grain Hornady xtp hp bullets without issue. I can still shot any standard ball ammo too. My plan is to try a 200 grain Hornady xtp hp around 950 fps with a suppressor on a lone boar. I want to get around 30 yards or less and shoot him in the neck/head. Once my form 4 comes through for an octane 45 suppressor this will happen.<br/>

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Its been so long since you talked about this, I forgot you were still working on this as a hog killer.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yea I got mine to work also but have not killed anything but tin cans yet.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yea I got mine to work also but have not killed anything but tin cans yet.
I forgot about all the trouble you were having with yours. Glad to hear you finally got it working.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was going to go 45 but decided on the 7.62x39 but then I dontt reload so have to go super w a suppressor that will fit it and my 6.8...To me that is the only reason to reload to go sub and load your own.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The only reason for me to go 45 was for suppressed subsonic work. Originally I was going to use the 300 blackout but then realized the 45acp has more mass, diameter, and is designed to expand subsonic.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Rudy, at Macon Armory, sent me a new magwel adapter. The machine quality and finish work is superb. It fits extremely well in my lower and runs like a top. This new adapter allows me to shoot 200 and 230 grain Hornady xtp hp bullets without issue. I can still shot any standard ball ammo too. My plan is to try a 200 grain Hornady xtp hp around 950 fps with a suppressor on a lone boar. I want to get around 30 yards or less and shoot him in the neck/head. Once my form 4 comes through for an octane 45 suppressor this will happen.<br/>
Alex do you fell good enought to recommend someone buy his upper?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yup, I'd go .45ACP too (for sub-sonic) for suppressed and cheaper to feed.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I think Macon Armory has the bugs worked out now. Other than the issue with feeding hollow points it was flawless. The new mag adapter had fixed it.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I got to work on some reloads today. My loads are above book max with W231 and Hornady 200 grain XTP bullets so I won't post them here. I am getting an average of 1030 fps without any case bulging or signs of pressure on the primer. I got a 3/4" group at 50 yards and no feeding issues at all. I shot these into a soaking wet grainger and MSC catalog taped back to back to see what kind of penetration and expansion the 200 Grain XTP would provide at this velocity. I recovered the two bullets and found they had penetrated about 3.5" each and both expanded to between .620-.705". Below are the pictures.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice, retain weight well?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
3-5" penetration, that enough? Not for a hog but I guess maybe a person?