AR15 in 45 ACP

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ident said an l3 pvs 14 will be fine on the 45acp upper. Macon Armory told me the upper should ship this week. Woohoo!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I received my Macon Armory 45 acp upper today. I'm stuck at work and can't wait to get home to put it all together.

I have an eotech exps3 coming for a sight. It should be here Thursday and then I will do some function testing and load development.

So far I am impressed with the finish work and the items included in the purchase. The upper came with a magazine, the USC mag adapter, a 2" rail section, and 2 each 1" rail sections for the Samson handguard.

I will post pictures later tonight.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think I'm sending my .45 carbine back. Had 24 stovepipes out of 100 shots this weekend.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I received my Macon Armory 45 acp upper today. I'm stuck at work and can't wait to get home to put it all together.

I have an eotech exps3 coming for a sight. It should be here Thursday and then I will do some function testing and load development.

So far I am impressed with the finish work and the items included in the purchase. The upper came with a magazine, the USC mag adapter, a 2" rail section, and 2 each 1" rail sections for the Samson handguard.

I will post pictures later tonight.
I really like my Samson hand guard just enough rails for me and lower weight, feels good in your hand.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
No. TLM has a just right carbine 45 acp.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It amazes me at the stories I hear about all the problems a 45 acp semi auto rifle has. You would think someone would get this right eventually. It's the only thing that keeps me from buying one. I just ordered a 454 casull lever action instead. Hopefully some day I'll get my 45 acp. Seems the only gun that has it right is the Thompson. Those are a little hard to scope from what I have seen though

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm am liking mine so far. I fed it 40 rounds of Winchester white box 230 grain hardball and it had fte malfunctions every 3-4 rounds. Not good but I don't plan to shoot this ammo very often, if at all.

I fired 30 rounds of my handload using 7.0, 7.3, 7.6 grains of unique with a hunters supply lead round nose flat point, mixed brass, cci lpp, 1.170 oal, and used a Lee factory crimp.

From a 10.5" barrel these loads ranged from 980-1100 fps depending on powder charge and had zero pressure signs. My hand loads cycled flawlessly.

No accuracy assessment yet. I'm waiting on my eotech to arrive.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
From what I see, factory loads are usually too light to cycle properly. I have worked up a few hotter loads without hitting pressure signs but they have some serious kick out of my 1911. I think they would be perfect for using in a rifle. I just don't know which one to get.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I might get an extra buffer spring and buffer to play with. Maybe trial
A half coil off the spring at a time up to two coils max. Then, face off a little of the buffer at a time until it is light enough to cycle the cheap stuff. I figure if it will cycle wolf and WW box its great. Then just keep a standard no weight buffer and standard spring for my heavier loads.

The weakest part of this whole setup is the brass.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Here are the pictures I promised.

ProgMag H&K USC mag and Mag block for standard lower

Modified feed ramp for the singe stack mag

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fine lookin' rig there A.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks. Its just missing an eotech and some hog blood.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am sure we will see some hog blood soon. Nice rig!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks Rob. Hopefully there will be some hog blood in the next couple of weeks. My plan is to use this with a 45 Octane HD on lone hogs as to reduce the chance of spooking other sounders in the area. I think a quick neck shot will work. If not, there is such little recoil a follow up shot can be almost instantly taken.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice looking rifle there. I'm still thinking I need one

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ha! It is really fun to shoot. I'm really liking the Samson evolution rail and the finish work Macon Armory did. Rudy has been very responsive and helpful with trying to figure out why the Winchester white box isn't cycling. He said that is what he test fired it with and it ran without issue. Of course, I am using a different lower so it may be an issue with my end of the deal. I plan to do more testing today.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Here is the latest update. The upper is going back. It consistantly has free malfunctions with Winchester bulk ammo. Rudy said he fired before he shipped it and it ran without issue. I 100% believe he did this because there was a little powder residue in the upper when I got it. However, we agreed that he flawless magazine run was a fluke because he has an identical upper that he fired this morning and had the same issues.

Rudy is making it right though. He is already working on a replacement to ship me. I believe he will get it right in the end. He said his 16" and 11" uppers run without issue.

We will see.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Man, you guys have had your share of problems getting one of those .45's to work reliably.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Man, you guys have had your share of problems getting one of those .45's to work reliably.
I heard 'dat. Been contemplating one myself... but, I dunno now.