AR15 in 45 ACP

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Its been interesting. It is such a low pressure round it is pretty finicky about gas setup and and spring rates. Once it runs and Rudy gets the kinks worked out I think it will be great. I had fun shooting it when I used my full power hand loads and it fed reliably. It was just the weaker factory target ammo that it struggled with. We will see....

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good luck on working it out.
What weight bullets? 230 or 185?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The factory rounds were 230 grain winchester white box. My hand loads are hunters supply 200 grain lead round nose flat point with 7.0 grains of unique and 200 grain hornady xtp with 6.5 grains w231. Both average 1000 fps form the 10" barrel. They would have enough umph to knock down a hog with a neck shot. I'm going to test each bullet on live targets eventually.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I looked at the HiPoint 45 Carbine for just this purpose but just did not pull the trigger...I would think that would be the cheapest way to go 45 and have a proven functioning gun. Did you consider that?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I went with an ar upper because I already have an sbr lower.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gotcha, I don't want to give the gooberment money for every piece of equipment I buy so no SBR or suppressor here...besides it is unconstitutional!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
They are govn. bribes in my eyes, but I want to play so I have to pay.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah something we should be able to do as a gun owner and no special taxes..On a good note i see the BLM backed down now the Nevada Rancher can go get his cattle.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's good news. Lets try tokeep this thread on track though.

I'm in a holding patterning the 45 upper for a while. Macon armory is working out the kinks.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I looked at the HiPoint 45 Carbine for just this purpose but just did not pull the trigger...I would think that would be the cheapest way to go 45 and have a proven functioning gun. Did you consider that?
Frank I have a HiPoint 40 cal carbine it run flawless. I had a plastic piece break they are serious about their warranty replaced part no questions asked. It is not a very pretty rifle but gets job done and my daughters loved to shoot it. The reason I bought it. It will not do what Alex is looking achieve.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had looked at a .40 cal but thought if I went that route I would get a 10mm instead. Might be a fun one to go along with my 10mm 1911

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I thought about 10mm but shyed away because ammo can be tough to find. Plus I wanted the biggest piece of lead at subsonic speeds. 10mm is typically supersonic.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, the 45 will do great suppressed. Gives me a reason to buy a 45 suppressor

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Alex has a Octane inbound and I have a osprey I am sure he feels like me it is a long time to get. Can't wait should be May maybe or at least June

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm looking at may or June too. I had it filed via eforms in January, but the recent shutdown of the system makes me think it will be longer. I know the ATF said they are still approving forms that were already filed, but I think we are heading for a slow down.

Its not a huge deal for the octane 45 cause I'm in a holding pattern for the 45 upper now. It will all come together with time.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm looking at may or June too. I had it filed via eforms in January, but the recent shutdown of the system makes me think it will be longer. I know the ATF said they are still approving forms that were already filed, but I think we are heading for a slow down.

Its not a huge deal for the octane 45 cause I'm in a holding pattern for the 45 upper now. It will all come together with time.
My class 3 gun shop did not due. E-forms or I would already have it submitted in September. Very curious to see how you 45 rigs works out. I think there are several of us wait to hear.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I talk with Rudy today. He said he had another 10.5" upper he has tested and is going to send it to me. He also said that he is going to run a 100 rounds through it before he sends it off.

It is a bummer that I had to send the first one back, but Macon Armory has given the utmost customer service through the process. If the new upper runs with the cheap Winchester ammo I'll be one happy customer.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Macon Armory received my upper yesterday. Rudy said curiosity got the better of him and he just had to figure out why the upper he originally sent me didn't run. Turns out they had a boring bar slip while cutting the feed cone on the barrels. He thought he caught all the goofed up ones, but mine slipped through. It was. 015" out of spec. He also polished the feedramp more and did a little.work to the bolt carrier.

I guess these uppers where designed to run with a carbine buffer that has had the weights removed, but it is not true with mine. Rudy tested it with a no weight buffer and it would fail to eject and misdeed. With a standard weight carbine buffer and spring it ran like a champ for him. I like this because u wonky have to switch buffers when going from my 6.8 sbr upper to this upper.

Rudy is applying some cereakote and shipping it out. I will report back when I feet to test it all myself.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good news, can't wait till your feet test it out!!