AR15 in 45 ACP

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I believe that if you tried the 230gr XTP you would get more penetration due more to it's slower speed than to it's over all weight.

I have put the above bullet completely thru a 200+ lb sow. --- pruhdlr

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's 3 to 3.5" penetration. The target was an old grainger and MSC catalog taped together back to back and soaked in water. I think they are much more dense then muscle tissue. I plan to try to get to 25 yards and take a head/neck shot rather than 50 yards.

The retained weight was 176 and 182 grains. Not too bad for how much they expanded. I might try to find a 200 or 230 grain semi wad cutter that will feed well and see what it does.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What have y'all done to your AR15's to make them actually sound quiet when suppressed?

My buddy put his Osprey on an Olympic 45 auto upper. And also on a marlin camp rifle. Both of these weapons have a very loud bolt slap when fired.

It sounded so loud to me that I decided I didn't even want to buy an osprey for my Olympic 45. after hearing his on his Olympic.

I will admit that spent casings get ejected 20 feet away from the rifle and that's using the slash heavyweight 45 buffer also.

I don't know what else we could do to our weapons and would love to hear some suggestions.

It's a fun little rifle to shoot. Mine is actually a dedicated lower that uses 30 round grease gun magazines.

Now, hearing the Osprey on a 45 auto pistol. that's amazing!!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Unfortunately I am still waiting on the ATF forms to be approved so I haven't been able to test any of that. Texaslawman may have more insight though. I believe he has 45 acp just right carbine and a 45 octane.

dust

I put in a special order for an 8" .45 ACP upper threaded 5/8-24 with a HK USC magazine adapter that will allow me to use USC mags in my standard AR15 SBR lower.

Is 8" the best length for powder burn etc, or just a length you or he chose? I am considering this upper, but wondering what barrel length for 230gr. projectiles.

Also, what projectiles have you tried so far. Wondering about semi wad cutters.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I ended up with a 10.5" barrel because the 8" wouldn't cycle reliably. It easily burns all the powder. I have used 230 grain lead round nose, 230 grain fmj, 200 grain Hornady xtp, and 255 grain Missouri bullet "kieths" (semi wadcutter). All feed well with the new magwel adapter, except the 255 grain which is really the wrong bullet for 45 acp. I'm happy with the Macon Armory upper now that he redesigned the adapter

dust

Afalex, you are making my Christmas present decision harder. What is your "max range" for the rifle on deer/pigs? Do you plan on coyote etc, and if so, the same question applies.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I do not recommend 45 acp as a hog or deer caliber. It turns rifle hunting into nearly what bow hunting is. The shot placement must be nearly perfect (head shot on hogs). I'm using it as a suppressed lone boar killer with night vision and getting inside of 20 yards. Bullet selection and placement are of the utmost importance.

I've read about guys taking deer with the 45 acp and shooting behind the shoulder, but I have not done it. With the AR platform you could easily get 45 super brass and load that a lot hotter and expand the knock down power a little. Starling has it in stock right now.

For me the 45 AR is for sub work at extreme close range in the dark with a suppressor. Really, it's a novelty gun.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If you want knock down power I think the socom will have it. Good luck.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The socom has all the knock down power you will need. I have 2 now and they are my favorite to shoot.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What have y'all done to your AR15's to make them actually sound quiet when suppressed?

My buddy put his Osprey on an Olympic 45 auto upper. And also on a marlin camp rifle. Both of these weapons have a very loud bolt slap when fired.

It sounded so loud to me that I decided I didn't even want to buy an osprey for my Olympic 45. after hearing his on his Olympic.

I will admit that spent casings get ejected 20 feet away from the rifle and that's using the slash heavyweight 45 buffer also.

I don't know what else we could do to our weapons and would love to hear some suggestions.

It's a fun little rifle to shoot. Mine is actually a dedicated lower that uses 30 round grease gun magazines.

Now, hearing the Osprey on a 45 auto pistol. that's amazing!!

You will always have the sound of the action so how ever load that is when you load the rifle expect to hear that every time you fire. As will all suppressors the weather and surrounds play a big role in how they sound. I have shot my supersonic rifles in a field one night and they sound great the very next night its almost like not having a can. I shot my .45 carbine the other day you could hear the bullets impacting on the cardboard target.