2014 Lone Star Boars members get-together.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
We had a blast and there were no door prizes. Just yanking your chain.. I did get to go with some dog hunters tonight over at Steve's place. They bayed a BIG hog up that shook all of the catch dogs off and ran off. He was definitely Sus Venator material! We will try and get him later.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We had a blast and there were no door prizes. Just yanking your chain.. I did get to go with some dog hunters tonight over at Steve's place. They bayed a BIG hog up that shook all of the catch dogs off and ran off. He was definitely Sus Venator material! We will try and get him later.

there is no try , there is only do or do not.

for TLM - famous Yoda saying from Starwars

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The Grand Prize for the weekend was taken home by our very own new family member Chopperdrvr.

and that would be Mrs, Chopperdrvr.

Nice catch my good sir, nice catch.

OK BRD, I see you are still trying to suck-up. lol

MS Chopperdrvr said that was a really sweet thing to say.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
rgilbert, does Wrongway Mike have info/website for his drones?

For those not there, Wrongway Mike brought out his racing quadcopters complete with a 2 sets of visors and took us on "rides" around the property via the visors and an onboard camera that gave the wearer a first person perspective of flying around. I am quite intrigued by the whole package. I can see where changing the optics and adding a larger transmitter would make the copters capable scouting drones. The better optics would be needed for better identification ability from higher altitudes. Watching rgilbert's dog, Beall, I would guess that maybe 200-300 feet elevation would be good for not disturbing animals on the ground. I can't say that I am ready to start flying tomorrow, but certainly thought a lot about the possibilities on the drive home after seeing first hand a sample of what could be done.

Thanks for having me out there guys. It was a pleasure to meet you all.
I'm Mike, but not Wrongway Mike and I'm the one that brought the quadcopters. For those that went on the "ride along" with me, we probably got up to 300 feet or so. Hopefully another time we'll be able to chase some pigs around with it!

Here's a little video when I was flying a little lower"

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LMAO!! That was very cool! and some great maneuvering by the way right up till the END. Very nice thanks for posting, that thing scoots right along!! BANG BANG!!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Now that most of the friendly jabs have been made (but no ass stabbing), I would like to take a minute to offer a BIG thanks to Rgilbert for offering his place for the get-together and for being a great host. Also, a HUGE thanks to Miss Debbie for organizing the meals and refreshments AND for keeping Rgilbert in line when he needed it. Everyone who attended appreciated the help that these two provided in making this a great time for everyone.

I would also like to thank Ident Marking for providing a couple thermal units for us to fondle and look at. And another thanks to Brian for bringing his new Armasight thermal unit. With the members equipment and vendors units, we got to see the full range of options from LED lights all the way to high end thermals.

THANKS GUYS!!

Looking forward to next time, and those who couldn't make it, all I can say is you need to try harder next time 'cause you missed a fun weekend.

Last edited:

SteveR

LSB Member
Thanks for having me out there guys. It was a pleasure to meet you all.
I'm Mike, but not Wrongway Mike and I'm the one that brought the quadcopters. For those that went on the "ride along" with me, we probably got up to 300 feet or so. Hopefully another time we'll be able to chase some pigs around with it!

Here's a little video when I was flying a little lower"
My lovely wife just said "that would be cool to have one of those". That ranks right up there with when she said " We're always going to have a problem with hogs, I think we should get a night vision scope". I have a really great wife!!!

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sure was a Charlie Brown kite tree. That thing ripped on one antenna and killed at least one motor when it threw me into the sand under it. Oh well, part of the fun.

Glad you guys enjoyed it. Fair warning for those interested in try it, its just as addictive as guns and not much cheaper.

marineimaging

LSB Member
Now that everyone figured out I was kidding about the door prizes and all that, it was a great time folks. A few of us sat around until 1:30 talking. I don't think I have enjoyed a weekend with meeting new people. I am not usually very good at it. (That is why I am better at marketing than sales.)
My lovely wife just said "that would be cool to have one of those". That ranks right up there with when she said " We're always going to have a problem with hogs, I think we should get a night vision scope". I have a really great wife!!!
Yes Sir! We all do me thinks, by gollies.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
And a big thanks to Lynn for making the breakfast every morning. And I could not have done it without Debbie's help!

marineimaging

LSB Member
Chopperdrvr, since Lynn doesn't do the board can you get and post that recipe for the breakfast casserole? I was telling my wife about how good it was and I would like to do that when we have the kids coming over early. They would love it too. Thanks!

marineimaging

LSB Member
Debbie was on top of everything and unlike some, she didn't hover around and tell everybody how wonderful she was. She didn't have to. Perfect, perfect, perfect. (You gotta love that gal, RG.) I wasn't sure how this was going to play out so next time I would like to bring something to the party like Chopperdrver and the sweet Crazy Cajun did so that you guys don't have to do so much.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Chopperdrvr, since Lynn doesn't do the board can you get and post that recipe for the breakfast casserole? I was telling my wife about how good it was and I would like to do that when we have the kids coming over early. They would love it too. Thanks!

I will do that for you and anyone else who wanted it. I will also post the recipe for the Carolina style sauce she had for the pulled pork. Several people wanted that also. (As soon as she gets them to me)

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A short review of the gear with permission from IDENT. I am not a thermal expert by any means. This is just my opinion. I really like the simplicity of the controls on both the W1000 and L320 monocular. Don't have to scroll through menu's to change things. I was actually OK with the size once it was mounted on the rifle. Easy to sight in and easy to mess with. That was my fault. Not much on the battery option's but they have been covered by Lawman. Since I only had the unit for a little over a week it was a big learning curve for a guy that has been shooting NV. It did take me a while to get the thing focused as I would like. I talked to Lawman and he told me to use the contrast wheel. Doh! Another thing was my glasses kept sliding down and I was looking over the top instead of through the lenses. My fault again. One big thing I did like was the scanning abilities with the 1000. Eye relief could have been longer for my taste also.

I really liked Brian's Zeus! Great clarity, but the options got too confusing to me. If only they would make the new Pro Line with the big lens with only the options the W1000 has. Off/on/brightness, contrast, white hot/black hot only, reticle choice and focus only.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like a great time was had by all. Thank you rgilbert for hosting it I know it is a lot of work and I'm sorry I had to miss it. Next time I will get my events timed right.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sounds like a great time was had by all. Thank you rgilbert for hosting it I know it is a lot of work and I'm sorry I had to miss it. Next time I will get my events timed right.
We've been scheming on ways to make you pay! ;)