You know it's hot out when...

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
In case y'all were wondering, the typical range of temperature for a healthy cow is 100 - 102° F.

I'd think most any cow in the sun in Texas is gonna be 103.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Its the same way in my neck of the woods. Just too dang hot.

We had an attic fan in the house I grew up in. The only AC we had was a huge window unit installed in the wall. We always had box fans going and the windows open when we were home. As soon as the sun started to go down we cranked the attic fan up and it felt great.

Drift

LSB Member
It's hot here in central Fla. .
When I was a kid we lived in the South Pacific. Wake Island. In a Quonset hut. No A.C. Fans when we had electric. Coolish shower every week or so when we had water. (They ran the water pipe along the ground to pick up heat)I thought it was great. My parents would not swim in the lagoon unless the water temp was >92. They had moved from above the artic circle and never wanted to be cold again. But now that I think about it, to take that kind of heat it they must've been tougher people than I am.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
95 here today then a litte Rain humidy you was oppressive. Cooled off nice since sun has gone down. Like me AC

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'd think most any cow in the sun in Texas is gonna be 103.

I posted internal temperatures. Exterior temps shouldn't be too far off though. Most cattle in the south have long ears and veiny legs for a reason, the closer the blood gets to the surface the more internal heat is dissipated. Cattle also drink LOTS of water when it gets hot.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hate it when it gets hot out and I have to forge. Here is the inside of my shop, yes the sun is shining on it and the forge is running. It is still darn hot to work in.

0625151741_zpsd9uuw8bj.jpg

Bottom is the finishing shop. Top is forge.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just now noticed it was a little cooler then. It shows a high of 138f. But it's a DRY heat....:confused:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just now noticed it was a little cooler then. It shows a high of 138f. But it's a DRY heat....:confused:
Where's the UNlike button?!? LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
113 heat index at the lease today, WET heat!

Galveston340

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Supposed to hit 96f in Houston and a little under that here on the coast today. We usually have a pretty good sea breeze start in off the Gulf but lately with this high pressure over us it's not until late afternoon that you can feel it.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hate it when it gets hot out and I have to forge. Here is the inside of my shop, yes the sun is shining on it and the forge is running. It is still darn hot to work in.

Looks Like dry heat like AZ still feels like an oven.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I picked up a nice forge yesterday...after a liitle cleaning and some Mobil 1 in the tank she purrs like a kitten!Metal Forge 001.JPG

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mine are propane. Have 3 but was only running the biggest one. And it was outside. Still blows hot air into the shop. Coal forges are a nice distraction but way too dirty and expensive to run for me. The wife would not allow all the coal dust. She already goes nuts over the grinding dust.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I posted internal temperatures. Exterior temps shouldn't be too far off though. Most cattle in the south have long ears and veiny legs for a reason, the closer the blood gets to the surface the more internal heat is dissipated. Cattle also drink LOTS of water when it gets hot.

Thanks professor.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter