You know it's hot out when...

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
:confused:Naw, those are just Cold Cuts cattle.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
105 heat index, hard to breathe!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Was in JAX on Thursday was pretty humid and hot.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang why is,that? They are so good at keeping heat in? Sounds strange.

Because it's hotter outside than their body temp so they are cooler than the sun soaked ground arround them.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have measured ground surface temperatures of 140+° F in STX when the ambient air temp was 102° F. I have also seen 99° F temps at 10 pm down here. If it's that hot where you are, I'm scared to go outside and look at the thermometer!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
no we are only 93 or so and 100% humidity

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Because it's hotter outside than their body temp so they are cooler than the sun soaked ground arround them.
Oh my goodness that is hot dog internal temp is 101 so cow is close. Pig has to be hotter

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
In case y'all were wondering, the typical range of temperature for a healthy cow is 100 - 102° F.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Must have been a cold front huh TLM.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Headed to the lease tomorrow and here we are 104+ heat index, good grief, where is the pop up shower or sea breeze?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Be careful what you ask for. I went to the range yesterday thinking the pop-up shower we had would cool it down a couple degrees......WRONG!! It was like trying to shoot inside a sauna. I lasted only 80 rounds and had to retreat to air conditioning.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
After weeks of mid 90's, the last couple of days' mid 70's is sweet ! About 78% humidity (also) today.

No A/C here. But I've gotten pretty good at freeing up painted shut sash for double hung windows. I might even take some apart and retie the weights to get them working as originally designed. It does help to have the tops open to give the hottest air a place to escape... allowing the cooler air to come in through the open lower halves. Add some window fans and room fans, lots of water to drink... and life ain't too bad.

Some may laugh... but after getting used to the COLD of the high arctic region... mid 90's is HOT ! About a 150 degree difference.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
RD, we are mid 90's but a much hotter feel here and could not stand w/o A/C!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, whether cold, or hot, humidity is brutal.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I was talking to a co-worker this morning about the lost art of keeping houses cool without a/c. Down here in south LA (Louisiana) we had high ceilings and attic fans. You would be hard pressed to even find an attic fan now if you wanted to install one. I built a house in Alabama back in the 80's and the contractor looked at me like I was from another planet when I told him to install an attic fan.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Feel like temp here now is 110, very oppressive!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I installed an attic fan in a house here in Seattle (no roof vents were there), as well as a screened hatch to replace the solid one for summer use. As the fan pushed air out through the gable, cooler air was drawn in through the screened front/back doors, through the lower floor, up the staircase, through the screened hatch, and out through the fan. It made a big difference in that house.