Video showing W1000-9 detection range

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Nice videos!

The alpha sow video where you focus on the dead sow and the piglets really shows the difference between the w1000 vs any of the flir units with fixed focus.
The resolution of the rocks and critters was the best I have seen, blows away the flir units I own, ps24, ps32, ls64.
So as soon as I sell the ps24 & ls64 should be able to get $5k then a w1000 will be ordered and I will work on a 18650 style battery pack for the w1000 which should do 20hrs between charges. The last 2 video's posted, the alpha sow and the range capabilities were the videos that locked in my decision. The only draw back is the weight @ 3.7 lbs.

Would also like to make an electronic pan tilt (& small servo to control focus knob) with magnet mount to attach it to roof of truck while driving and hook it up to the in dash video screen, with a picatinny mount it would attach and detach quick. Stop truck remove it from the picatinny rail unhook video cable, and attach it to rifle. At least that's the plan.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
the thermal will not shoot thru your windshield as I understand past conversations so you are going to mount on the roof of the truck? You slick fool you!

1956_4x4

Crestview, Florida
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice videos!

The alpha sow video where you focus on the dead sow and the piglets really shows the difference between the w1000 vs any of the flir units with fixed focus.
The resolution of the rocks and critters was the best I have seen, blows away the flir units I own, ps24, ps32, ls64.
So as soon as I sell the ps24 & ls64 should be able to get $5k then a w1000 will be ordered and I will work on a 18650 style battery pack for the w1000 which should do 20hrs between charges. The last 2 video's posted, the alpha sow and the range capabilities were the videos that locked in my decision. The only draw back is the weight @ 3.7 lbs.

Would also like to make an electronic pan tilt (& small servo to control focus knob) with magnet mount to attach it to roof of truck while driving and hook it up to the in dash video screen, with a picatinny mount it would attach and detach quick. Stop truck remove it from the picatinny rail unhook video cable, and attach it to rifle. At least that's the plan.

These ideas for the W1000-9 sound great. Keep track of the parts and design for the rest of us. I can see Frank pimping a W1000 on the top of his golf cart now... I think he'd use duct tape for the mount though.

Smitty

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM, thanks for uploading videos in 1080. I have to assume at this point that a better upload gives a better representation of what could be seen in person.

I have seen a few videos of scenes shot using a FLIR T-70 and they are very poor. Makes you not want to spend the LARGE amount of money on one. Does not mean that
they are not very capable, it just means I have no idea what the T-70 is capable of. I want to know what it is capable of. Also of the T-75.

Other videos with 'lesser' units have much better videos. I wonder how much of a role the recording devise plays into this equation. Cables, connections, storage media.

From what I have seen and heard from actual users of the devises I think that each bolometer seems to have a sweet spot of lens magnification, FOV, and size or diameter.
Somebody will be along to explain this away but that is what I notice from the videos. Each provider has strengths and weaknesses. Price point engineering has its limits.
Some of the units from various providers use the same TAU2 bolometer yet have differing levels of output performance. The diameter of the glass always gets explained as
non-critical. I think it is crucial. The FLIR RS-64 for example looks like it would do much better with a more expensive lens. But then fewer of us could afford the unit.

While I save to do a 'buy once cry once' thermal devise purchase, I cannot help but notice that none of the units have everything I want. The closest I found is $55,000 and they will not
consider selling it to me anyway. The fact that it is WAY out of my price range was academic. The market place is reacting to both technology and competition and increased market size.
Prices are becoming affordable to more of the population than ever before. What once was only affordable to governments is now being used by hobbyist hunters. This trend is accelerating.
Every year at SHOT show the latest and greatest, whether they are actually available or on the drawing board, are displayed for all to see. Some of these items are not ready for market,
others will never be brought to fruition. Take the V-sight from ATN. Great concept, great price, game changer specs, but has not been released. Not thermal but you get the picture.

The Raytheon W1000-9 looks like it has some of the best glass around. Unfortunately it has an older less capable camera. It also is fifteen or more years old and that is more than
a generation in the tech world. What is does do is work, and work very well for it's intended purpose. Detection at distance is a tremendous advantage to the hunter in the field.
Engagement is another story. The RS-64 is described as amazing by people who used military thermal ten or more years ago, yet it is not all it could be. But I don't want to settle.
I also don't want to die waiting for the next great advance that may or may not reach ME in time to do something with it. So what do I do? Everything I can to learn, plan and then buy.

Here is what I am thinking in the middle of 2014AD. This will change as I do, but here are my thoughts.

I need a better crystal ball.
I need my eyes to look through as many devices as possible.
I need to be frugal with resources that are limited.
I need to listen to people with real experience, not people who are keyboard experts.
I need to find ways to limit my criteria to what I would be happy with.
I need to figure out what I would be happy with, then stop and be happy.

I want a 640 or better core. When will the 880 or 1080 cores be available? I want them.
I want a large diameter Germanium lens. Not for a high power factor, for the ability to gather more heat.
I want a optical zoom much more than a digital one.
I want a viewfinder that gives my eyes the best possible view of the thermal world.
I want to be able to discern small variations in object temperatures.
I want to be able to ignore small variations in object temperatures.
I want a video product from my unit that is very close to what I actually saw and experienced.
I want to have data from the situation on the screen. And have data excluded from the screen.
I want programmable reticles that actually work like a traditional first focal plane scope. And I want them to get out of the way sometimes.

Then

I want this to be available to me as a citizen of the United States of America.
I want this combination of capabilities to be somewhat affordable. As technology advances and brings down the prices my savings will be increasing.

When the above capabilities are met at a price I can pay for I will buy. Just once. In cash.

Last edited:

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Okay, so you want a miracle.

You are going to over analyze yourself out of hunting. Basically, you have reached purchaser paralysis, setting overly specific lofty goals that are unrealistic in the current market. Even if you find it the scope that matches your criteria, you are then going to redefine your criteria or question their validity to the point of not making a purchase.

You can have it good (fitting everything you want). You can have it fast. You can have it cheap. Pick any two criteria.

Sooner or later, you have to go from "I want" to "I need" in order to make your purchase decision. When you actually understand your needs, then the decision will be easier to make.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Okay, so you want a miracle.

You are going to over analyze yourself out of hunting. Basically, you have reached purchaser paralysis, setting overly specific lofty goals that are unrealistic in the current market. Even if you find it the scope that matches your criteria, you are then going to redefine your criteria or question their validity to the point of not making a purchase.

You can have it good (fitting everything you want). You can have it fast. You can have it cheap. Pick any two criteria.

Sooner or later, you have to go from "I want" to "I need" in order to make your purchase decision. When you actually understand your needs, then the decision will be easier to make.

exactly what I said

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
What is the voltage, I built a couple battery packs for my Zeus, one with AA's, the other with 18650's. What batteries does it currently take?

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I told you not to let BRD and Brian get into this. Bale o wire or something like that he said. Now my brain is hurting. LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
6, 9V? no wonder it weighs so much ..so how long do the 9 batts run it?

Hard_ware

These should run the 9v pack about 7hrs, this is the charger and 2 sets of 6 batts.\ under $90
http://www.all-battery.com/TN346Li-ionRechargeableBattery-91159.aspx
91159-Combo-x450.jpg

The pack I would build would use 18650 batts, 3 pairs in parallel. 8.4v @ 10.2 ah, the ir lights, flash lights, head lamps I own all use the 18650 batts.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I posted a thread in the nv thermal section about some nice rechargeable 9v batteries I use they run 7-9 hours and are half the weight.

Hard_ware

Ok how bad is the display on the w1000-9?

Was about to order one and guy I spoke to was wanting to know if I have hands on and have looked thru eyepiece.
He was saying that the eyepiece was pretty crappy compared to other thermals, he said the flir ps series has a better display then the w1000-9, and the ps series viewfinders are not very good( I have a ps24, ps32 and ls64 so I know the quality of the flir ps series and agree). I like the video output of the w1000-9 but the eyepiece views I have seen are not very good. Hate to drop the cash and not like the unit overall, kinda like the ls64 I was never impressed with the unit.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There is no problem with the display. A problem that some people have is with the eyepiece. The edges of it are like a fish bowl. If you don't get directly behind it the image you see will be blurry. If properly set up on the rifle and you have a good consistent cheek weld you will not have a problem.

What eyepiece views are you talking about? Have you looked through it or looked at pics/video that was taken through it? Huge difference. Because of the eyepiece it makes it extremely hard to take pics or video through it.

The video output is black and white but that isn't what you see on the display. The W-1000 is a milspec unit that was designed for a military contract. One requirement was that the display be green like with NV. This is done because our eyes can see more contrast in green(Disclaimer- I was told this because I am colorblind. LOL). So when you look through it you see black and greens. I like it because its really easy to transition from NV to the thermal. If you would rather the display be black and white we can make that happen.

If you order it from us and you don't like it just send it back for a refund.

Last edited:

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am sorry in advance any news when DVR cables will be available ?