Video showing W1000-9 detection range

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I forgot to add in the video the farthest cows in the right corner next to the tree line are 2362 yards

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
boy that sure reaches out there.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is why thermal works so well for me. I can cover very large areas and this is in the heat, winter is simply amazing.

Ident Marking

Rockwall, Texas
Vendor
Roger that, gotta call it what it is! I like the image too, it's different than VOx or newer AS but it makes targets stand out in a unique (good) way.

Delta 4-3: The sensor in the W1000 has a couple neat features (some of which you can see in this video) While its still an uncooled detector its a thermally stabilized detector. This allows for better detection ranges in less than optimal weather conditions (heat and humidity- both of we deal with here in the south. Thats why TLM is picking up cows at almost a 1.5 miles in the Texas summer! He should do this again when its cold outside, then you could see the same targets at say 2-2.5 miles or farther! VOX was sold to the military as cheaper than the BST in the W1000 and it is smaller in packaged form. The BST really shines on detection range demos like this one.. and its solar immune (vox and ASi will fail if exposed to direct sunlight- i.e. don't look at the sun with the device)

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The cows hate it when you forget to add them in. They will follow you around and get between you and the hogs.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
There are 3 things when looking through a thermal; Detection, Recognition and Identification. Detection being just to see the heat signature. I know I can even see heat signatures a long ways with my Thermal Eye X150, which is only a 160x120 thermal monocular.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Right, the distances noted are quite impressive, but as Dave notes we are only talking about detection of a heat source, in this case from animals that are 4-14 times bigger in volume than our usual targeted hogs and 2-2.5 times taller, so you would expect to see them from a long ways away. Put back into the military scale, detection ranges for trucks are greater than detection ranges for soldiers as are recognition ranges and identification ranges.

So detection/recognition/identification ranges aren't just about the technology, but also about the targets. You can get 240,000 miles out of the scope if you look to the moon. :)

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The same cows were non existent with the mtm because of humidity. And the week before the mtm just showed a dull spot at only 480 yards, the w1000 showed a black hot hog. I'm pretty sure the mtm blows the 150 out if the water. It's also may be hard for you to tell in this video, but when looking through the scope I can tell the difference between cows, deer, and hogs. At this range I will confuse a calf for hogs but hogs will usually move in a different way and group up differently. The deer stand out because of their body shape. The w1000 may have some disadvantages but range and recognition it has smoked anything else I've had my hands on including the LWTS.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It was my mistake not to record the same field through the mtm. Of course you can see a long way with it when the weather is nice. But this was hot and humid so that makes a huge difference.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Not my point, only pointing out how thermal works in regards to detection, Recognition and Identification. Informational.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok I took it as this is not that impressive my x150 can see that far. Lol

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No but 3 x is not going to show what is not there. Like I said it was very humid and hit so the unit was not seeing like it would on a cool or dry night. The 3x would just magnify the area not the detection.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I understand it was very humid, but it isn't a very equitable comparison when you are comparing a difference of 1x and 3x optical magnification. Magnification will help significantly with detection.

Now, MTM with 3x isn't going to have the giant 3x lens on it either, but the more things you have in common, the more comparable the comparison. Saying something won't work in this sort of situation without testing it is awfully hard to substantiate.

Put another way, you haven't ruled out the variables. You certainly may be right, but the information just isn't there to support the conclusion.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
First this was not a comparison but just a demonstration Dave said his x150 can see a long way so I threw the mtm info in there to clarify. What exactly do you assume my conclusion to be? All I did is show the range of a particular piece of equipment, And made the statement that is has smoked everything I have looked through to this date including the LWTS? Soon I will be able to compare.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Now boys play nice. Don't make me get BRD in on this. LOL

This is why I want to compare different units with the same specs. Gives us a level playing field. And TLM I get what your saying. And Brian you and BRD need to sit down and confuse the hell out of everyone else with a conversation! Reading your post, which are very astute reminds me of trying to understand him.