Need Help understanding "Clip-On's"

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
So really, you’re just using the day optic for magnification still relying on the thermal for the crosshairs?

Hootiewho

Has anyone used, had positive or negative results or experienced any wild POI shift when using a UTMx as a clip on for a low power optic like a ACOG or Elcan? Mind you all shooting will be well under 200 yards.

Just to ad, for those who have not used one, this is a PVS-30 and a S&B short dot at 100 yards. I had an IR illuminator on and used a small piece of reflective tape as a POA. One thing you’ll learn real quick is unless you have a light wind, if you are using an IR illuminator with a I2 clip on you’ll lose a bit of SA right after the shot from the smoke. You don’t have this with a thermal. It can make follow up shots tricky in some situations.

Robert H

LSB Member
I recently put armasight clip on in front of Leopuold pig plex had issues getting point of impact to match recticle because when thermal removed daytime optic was right on I was able to get info that there is a setting called margin and basically this means the screen moves inside the scope move until poi matches recticle this worked and poi now matches hope this helps

R

John Haley

BIG difference between the over $10k MSRP military clipons and the under $10k civilian clipons.

Military clipons like the PVS-30 and the UTC-x do not have any means of performing adjustments ... but the civilian ones, like the Apollo and even the $1 less than $10k MSRP clipon have adjustments and require adjustments ... at least the ones I've had did. The military ones are "pre-bore-sighted" at the factor ... meaning their Risley Prism rear lens were collimated on a collimating table. I'm guessing some manufacturerers like Armasight and IRD did not have collimating tables and hence could not collimate their thermal clipons. Not even sure the Apollo has Risley Prism rear lens, but pretty sure the SNIPE does ... it sure costs extra like it does.

==

It is pretty much like zeroing ... except the rifle and day scope are already zeroed, so you are "zeroing" the thermal clipon to match.
Just a Question, and a note about the Snipe. The question - since zeroing a clip-on involves your day sight and your rail, I don't see how the clip-on can be "pre-bore-sighted" by the manufacturer. Then again, I don't know half of what you do, and never heard of a Risley Prisim. Everything I've read s o far indicates thermal clip-ons have gotten better in regard to collimation but it remains an issue. Physics.
The comment - whatever the magic is, the Snipe is not so blessed. It does require sighting in, and that is a bitch. I have been trying through several boxes of ammo, at least four range sessions, over 7 hours of range time, after reading and re-reading all the instructions, mapping the menus, and extended back-and-forth with Trijicon support. I would say support is very good, but it has gone silent lately and my messages aren't read carefully - or not understood, maybe it's my fault - before answering.
Trijicon instructions do suck. I got my Reap good, but needed help outside the manual there, too.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've got and ATN clip on thermal, and I could never get the cross hairs from the ATN to align with the scope's crosshairs. I turned the reticle color to black and use the illumination from the NF scope. Probably not the ideal setup, but it works perfectly for me.