Armasight Zeus review-D grade to date

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So you think it is temp proximity to dew point? Interesting thought. Obviously, dew point is the point when water vapor is the air condenses out into droplets. As temps and environmental conditions are not 100% uniform across an area, as you approach dew point, you will undoubtedly have spots/areas where dew condenses out first (lower temps or higher dew point) even though you don't have it happening everywhere. As with low areas and radiation fog that sometimes forms, you could get the condensing going on despite not reaching the dew point for the entire area. In other words, you may be close to dew point for the whole area, but in some localized areas, you are much closer or reaching dew point and so thermal conditions are much worse than you might experience if you were at the same humidity, but not close to dew point. So being close to dew point would not necessarily make things worse if you weren't in a localized spot where you are apt to reach dew point (such as low areas).

Also sounds plausible.

Last edited:

Dry Creek

LSB Member
This makes sense to me. My main hunting area is in a low spot. Thermals on some nights are barely working yet I can drive several miles to another ranch, gaining elevation, and the difference in thermal performance is apparent.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just received the new Zeus Pro 100mm,640 60 hz- a total disappointment. I've done all NUC and factory resets and the image quality is so bad, that you really can't distinguish any large object with certainty. Sending it back.

Unless you have more info I will have to consider this a false report.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For the price of these units I just do not see many of them going out the door not working 100%. From what I have read their quality control is much better than that!! BANG BANG!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well there are just so many Proline that went out especially the 100mm 640's, easy to track down.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
So,
With the additional troubleshooting that armasight did with me while I was in Atlanta, the unit seems to be working better. If I had to regrade, I would raise the grade to about a B. While the unit picks up heat signatures well and is really easy to use, the fact that it had issues (see original post) such as going mostly dark twice keeps me from raving about the unit. I can't help but feel I am headed for some issues in the future but, without the scope having the problem anymore, pretty tough send it in.
I tried to edit the header on the original post from D to B, but couldn't.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
OK, not making this up. Took the 6.8 out to cycle some rounds through using the thermal and the screen went totally black on me. I can hear it cycle on (it has a very distinct cycle on sound), but no screen. I am not going to say Armasight is crap, but this unit obviously is. I will see if they can troubleshoot again over the phone, but I am going to be pissed if I am on the ranch for another week without a thermal scope.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
crank the battery compartment door down tight?

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Yup, it is getting power. New batteries and I can hear to power cycling on. I appreciate the suggestion though, will try anything because right now I am dead in the water.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey just trying to get you on the road again...try different batteries, check the spring in the housing

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Talked with Armasight, unit is defective. Spent several hundred dollars to send it back overnight because they said the repair should be fast and they could overnight it back. As you can imagine, pretty upset and maintain my grade of D (or lower) for the unit.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They are electronic devices so things can happen. The fact that they are willing to fix it quickly and overnight it back says something about their service. I'd wait until you get it fixed before the D or lower grade because I have seen many of these with no problems. I do understand your frustration though, you spent a lot of money.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Any brand and model can have defects period, they are after all man made. I've also heard people say they see more brand X units with defects vs brand Y. What many people don't consider is brand X may sale 1000 units a month vs brand Y sale 100 units.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I just got mine today. Live in a rural area but have a few neighbors. After 3 minutes I remembered to take the obj cap off. Yeah, I'm smart. Grabbed some brew, a chair and set up overwatch over the neighbors polo pony ranch. Got the eyepiece and obj adjustments going in conjunction with brightness. (Zeus not on a rifle....handheld). All I could think of was Iraqi Freedom war Apache attack videos. 2 guys at least at 200 shooting the S, I can see all of their hand gestures, dog runs up.....horses walk in front at between 100-150, I can see sweat hot spots on them and their eyeballs. Wow. This is gonna be fun. Thanks Aaron at NCS.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Navygator, where are you located?

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Armasight was able to repair and overnight it back, should get here this afternoon, allowing me to salvage the rest of this trip. Service was good, surprised that I had to pay shipping to repair a ~ $4800 thermal scope that had two hours worth of use. Even if I didn't overnight, they would only pay shipping back to me.
Again, from all research Armasight makes a good product and I know electronics can sometimes break. My only hands on experience with them is the scope I purchased and I don't rate on other's experience. I maintain a D rating from my experience alone.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think if you had sent it back 4 mos ago when you first experienced problems it could have gone regular shipping and you would have had it all week...whatcha think?