Armasight Zeus review-D grade to date

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Had problems with the mount on my Zeus and Stephen was great help. Turn around was about 10 days back in May 14 and the problem was completely resolved.

what was you issue? mine was too loose for my AR, I switched upper receivers and it worked, but my previous zeus worked fine on the other upper...

Navygator

LSB Active Member
I have not Dave. I have been dealing with a very sick family member over the past several weeks and haven't had much time to dedicate to the issue, maybe you guys can weigh in with some advise.
I have sent a second email to Armasight detailing the issues and I have not heard back on either. Here is what I am seeing on my end:
  • The viewer went dark on me again and I had to perform another factory reset resulting in another loss of boresight.
  • The image will intermittently wash out (go to mostly white in white hot) when slowly scanning, especially vertical scanning.
  • Smaller reticles are difficult to see
So something is wrong with the scope but it isn't unusable. I am not sure if problem 2 is related to problem 1 or if problem 2 is even an issue. It doesn't wash out bad, just seems odd. I wish I knew someone in my local area (Atlanta) that had some experience with thermal.

My view is that the scope cost a crap load of money and if I think something is wrong, Armasight should probably be addressing the issue. Since I have been preoccupied with personal issues, I haven't had the time to go on a one man crusade to slam Armasight on every review sight that matters, hoping it won't come to that. If they don't return emails soon (I will call today too), then I may have to return scope. That is too bad because I need a thermal to keep hogs under control in OK.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like you have a bad screen I would return it for another one without delay.

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have not Dave. I have been dealing with a very sick family member over the past several weeks and haven't had much time to dedicate to the issue, maybe you guys can weigh in with some advise.
I have sent a second email to Armasight detailing the issues and I have not heard back on either. Here is what I am seeing on my end:
  • The viewer went dark on me again and I had to perform another factory reset resulting in another loss of boresight.
  • The image will intermittently wash out (go to mostly white in white hot) when slowly scanning, especially vertical scanning.
  • Smaller reticles are difficult to see
So something is wrong with the scope but it isn't unusable. I am not sure if problem 2 is related to problem 1 or if problem 2 is even an issue. It doesn't wash out bad, just seems odd. I wish I knew someone in my local area (Atlanta) that had some experience with thermal.

My view is that the scope cost a crap load of money and if I think something is wrong, Armasight should probably be addressing the issue. Since I have been preoccupied with personal issues, I haven't had the time to go on a one man crusade to slam Armasight on every review sight that matters, hoping it won't come to that. If they don't return emails soon (I will call today too), then I may have to return scope. That is too bad because I need a thermal to keep hogs under control in OK.

No clue about problem #1, but I'd be beating on the doors about that. As for problem #2, with my fairly limited use of different thermals (have used a Flir PS32 and an Armasight 3x 320 a little, and a Thor 2x 30mm 320 60 hz a lot) it seems that if the horizon (aka sky) takes up more than, say 40%, the software overloads or something and the viewing screen washes out. With the PS32, I remember rotating the rectangle viewing screen 45 degrees to make it a diamond shape and that helping out a lot. I rotate the Thor in similar situations and it helps to reduce the whiteout a ton.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
sounds like 1 and 2 are related....seems to be a connection, loose part, failing part, or some similar issue...only way to find out is to send it off, as with all electronics, sometimes things aren't noticed during QC and until they are used

I would continually get on the phone with Armasight, since they were preparing for Shot Show they were behind on things, but after I can't get through on a couple emails, I keep calling

Once you have a return authorization, send it off so you can get it fixed.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
They called me back. Steve (from armasight) wanted me to perform NUC and try it again out in the field (I have done this a few times and performed a few factory resets). I have not had the opportunity to try the NUC/field test again.
Pretty disappointed in Armasight. As I mentioned in earlier post, dealing with some illness in the family and haven't had time to mess with the zeus too much. I won't go ballistic until I get a chance to really play around with the unit again.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Honestly I would not be waiting so long I would send it back to where I bought it.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I believe holding down buttons 1 & 3 for a couple seconds does the manual Nuc

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hold the up and down buttons. Do it with the lens cover on.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Yea, with shutterless systems have to cover the lens for a manual nuc

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It will work without the cover but I prefer to cover it just in case.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Yes it will, I've read of people pointing them at different objects to test and reported that it didn't make a difference, haven't tried that to see if it matters

chthump

LSB Member
Well, I had to post what happened to my Zeus 336 - 42mm 30hrtz. Purchased new about 1 1/2 months ago. Yesterday I inserted the battery pack and the unit came on. Check the switch and it was on the off position. Turned the switch to on, then off, unit stays on, then turned the switch to the remote on setting, tried to turn the unit off with the remote on. The only way to turn the unit off, is to take out the batteries. When its on, it appears to be working fine, just can't power it down. I made a phone call (no answer), sent an email. Waiting for response, already got it boxed up ready to ship it out for repair. I had a Zeus 640 75mm 30hrtz on order, but hasn't shipped yet, so the 640 will probably be cancelled if I don't get a response today.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
chthump I'm betting water got in the on off switch causing corrosion that is keeping a connection. I know that's why the pro line has a button and not a switch.

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've currently got a non-pro 640 2x 30hz Zeus. How do you perform the factory reset?