shooting lessons available

D

djones

i noticed not too many folks post a lot of kill pics so i'd thought i'd share some of my secrets of success.

circled around to get the wind and double checked the surroundings. sometimes those ‘between the eyes’ shots turn into ‘between the nostrils’. good thing i only had to concentrate on one hog when the freedom run started.

IMG_1500_zpsll8c98op.jpg

D

djones

ahh yes... one of my favorite spots. i know this place well and recently started baiting it again. the view at the beginning of the vid is 325 yards. conditions only afford a few shots at best, but it’s easy to get to brushy cover about 80 yards from the feeder if the wind is right. somehow the rightmost pig sensed something was wrong and kept looking right at me, even though we were both obscured by branches. he would continue to look at me several times but i was ready to fire if he sounded the alarm.

the wind was calm down in the bowl, which added to the intensity of waiting for the perfect first shot. then the hog that was out of the picture came in between me and the others. he could definitely pose a problem and i’d have to change my plans for subsequent shots to include him. i may not be able to connect on a running away shot, but i could sure mount a formidable defense with 29 remaining rounds.

IMG_1506_zpspxavawbk.jpg

D

djones

caught some orphans from the previous night off guard. since i love a good chase, i laid down some panic fire to stampede them. i was ready and wasted no time in circling to the other side of the field to cut them off. watch and learn.

IMG_1508_zpsczraxjsx.jpg

D

djones

be sure to practice from all positions because you never know when you might have to lean out the window and shoot sideways. i can actually shoot this way while driving but i don't suggest you try that until completing my advanced shooting class.

bumped this guy because he wasn't supposed to be there. already running by the time i could go to guns. drink it in.

IMG_1510_zpswrmuwmez.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh, that's easy... they were staring at you because they could smell the fear... of a DRT first shot connection. :p Good hogs down. Nice vid, thanks.

D

djones

of course there's more to hunting than just precision shooting. one must be able to recover the downed game. i knew exactly where this hog went down but decided to spend the time hunting.

D

djones

i could have closed in on this hog but felt confident with the shot. even took into account a bit of drop. just goes to show you that sometimes even the best laid plans go awry. followed a blood trail as far as i could while walking. it lead to three tunnels and he took the middle one. i looked in as far as i could but would have to belly crawl for an unknown distance to proceed any further. maybe in the daylight.

LSB Active Member
First off love your vids please keep posting. What caliber are you popping? I am like a kid at Christmas waiting on the new Pulsar thermals. Big learning curve this summer, but can't wait to get started will enjoy every minute of it. Leading out targets in the dark....this will be fun! Here's to more face plants than dirt clouds. Thanks for the vids these are great.

D

djones

currently on the 6.8 band wagon shooting 95gr ttsx. going back to 120gr ssts soon. might switch back to the 308 if the pigs keep pissing me off. even thought of trying a 6.5 creed in an ar but really like the shorter barrels. i prefer to sling it barrel down when getting into position and the can will drag in brush and make noise.

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
another great time there, El Quapo!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I GOT IT!!! Leaning like that your equilibrium is out of WHACK. You GOTTA have an inner ear infection!!!:) BANG BANG!!! or
B B Dang it I put them at a slant but when I hit post it all lined up!!!!! It was pretty funny though???
A A
N N
G G
! !
! ! :) :confused:

You do have the most dancing porkers I have ever seen!! That is very cool!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I GOT IT!!! Leaning like that your equilibrium is out of WHACK. You GOTTA have an inner ear infection!!!:) BANG BANG!!! or
B B Dang it I put them at a slant but when I hit post it all lined up!!!!! It was pretty funny though???
A A
N N
G G
! !
! ! :) :confused:

You do have the most dancing porkers I have ever seen!! That is very cool!!
(Bar Keep... I'll have what he's drinking.)

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good sets of video! Good hogs down as well .. happy and safe hunting!

LSB Active Member
currently on the 6.8 band wagon shooting 95gr ttsx. going back to 120gr ssts soon. might switch back to the 308 if the pigs keep pissing me off. even thought of trying a 6.5 creed in an ar but really like the shorter barrels. i prefer to sling it barrel down when getting into position and the can will drag in brush and make noise.

What kind of 308 are you using bolt or semi auto? In the last year I got rid of all AR15's they just sat once I picked up my new 308AR the weight has come down a lot of several makes. Just pound .37c cheap Wolf at hogs and Horny-day American Whitetails at the bucks. I still love my bolts, but I'm starting to think those days may have passed with my affinity growing for the newer-ish 308.

You might reload or have a great hook up already and these 6.8 prices may not even be good I have no idea, but wanted to pass this on this is where I get all my handgun and most rifle ammo. These guys are great their prices never fluctuate with political firestorms and shootings they just keep it right where it is same with shipping love them. Crazy fast shipping too.

6.8 SPC Ammo | SGAmmo.com

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lots of action on a well deserved hunt! Good Job Dr. Jones!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Look like from your vids you are leading them too much. To get more kills simply switch to a 300BLK. --- pruhdlr

D

djones

What kind of 308 are you using bolt or semi auto?
old model dpms panther

Look like from your vids you are leading them too much. To get more kills simply switch to a 300BLK. --- pruhdlr
i like to change it up. sometimes i lead too much, then too little mixed with not following through. i also like to aim high, then low and mix bullets of different velocities in the same mag. to keep it interesting i shoot off styx, the hood, the top, my knees, out the window and free hand. my favorite trick is to play musical chairs with the zoom button so i cant tell how far they are. added to the mix is double digit wind, pivot systems, houses, equipment and livestock.

but make no mistake... i don't do any of this for fun. i get my enjoyment posting my infrequent kills here so i can enjoy the volumes of corrective advice. that's what makes it all worthwhile for me.

20170310_220832_zpswisnlfz3.jpeg