Practicing with Night Vision

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
2014-11-22/23
2200-2330/0115-0245
50F
10 mph SW

Goal(s): First session, to zero 7.62 at 100yds and 5.56 rifle with thermal at 100yds. Second session, observation walk.

Environment: Dark, might be the 2nd or 3rd darkness night I'd seen. Precipitation was heavy mist to rain.

Equipment: 7.62 with ir-laser, sling, 3.5-10x scope, ps-22, 5.56 with ir-laser, sling, eo-tech, thermal. 13-17 inch harris bipod and tripod. Ballistic helmet with L-3, ir-illum, 3l rgbw. Bump helmet with pinnacle, ir-illum, 3lrgbw.

Activity: Neighbor went with me for the first time in two years. We zeroed the 7.62, first two groups fired by neighor were low, I cranked the knobs and fired the last two rounds getting a 10 and a 9. So feel confortable that rifle is zeroed, now need to co-witness laser and test thermal. With the 5.56 and the thermal was high, cranked down, too much was low, crank up, not enough, cranked up one more. Using big while reticle on Apollo. This shooting was some bipod and some tripod. Since I'm using the Apollo reticle, not the eotech reticle, I'm hoping the thermal will be zeroed on both rifles.

Later we went out to observe no weapons. Setup observation point, but it was raining, and neighbor did not have on rain suit, so after 45m we called it. He was hooked on looking around with the ir-illum (on his helmet) turned on. In the rain, the ir-illuminators bounce most of their light off the water, so I don't turn them on. I did use an ir-becon to mark the spot I selected while we were carrying gear. The thermal lens got pretty well covered with water as the spot we selected was downwind from the critter trail we were watching. In the event, I only saw one small creature at about 100yds and I couldn't ID it, though I think is was fairly roundish, so I guess rabbit. They have round rear ends. I see them all over.

Results: Well it was useful having someone along as this is only the second time I've ever shot with another human at night and only the fifth time I've observed with another human at night (other four times were with wife). I had anti-fog wipes with me, but need to check about what wipes are best to keep water off thermal lens. Going out with another person, finally motivated me to crimp some lines on the 14 related gear that needed them. I need to work on the situation on the bump helmet some more, those "bungie" chords on the front are not the same as the ones on the ballistic helmet. This is one area where the ballistic helmet is better. One more night (tonight) before TG break (one week). Need to confirm zeros on everything.

Last edited:

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Can anyone tell me if I can/should use normal scope glass cleaning stuff on the front lens of the thermal? I have a bunch of Zeiss cleaning wipes and liquid ... is that stuff ok on the geraniums? ;)

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Happy TG and a safe trip.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Oh boy, went out today to "fine tune" thermal on 5.56 rifle and 5.56 rifle had two cases of "bolt won't go all the way home" ... it is only 20F with 20mph N wind ... so did RTB ... I will try to clean and lube and see if that helps. I do not have special cold weather (silicon) lube, but didn't think I needed it in these conditions!

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Cleaning worked, no stoppages on second trip ... should be good to validate thermal tonight.

I guess I had fired more rounds than I thought without cleaning before going on TG trip and "gunk" was more solid due to humidity and cold.

Had to cover gap between thermal and eotech with support (gloved) hand in order to be able to see handwarmer during the day light, too much glare off the back of the thermal eye piece.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
2014-11-30
2100-2230
15F
15 mph NNE

Goal: Validate 5.56 thermal and ir-laser at 78yds.

Environment: About 60% moon but overcast and moon obscured. Some stars, satilites and planes visible. Wind in my face when shooting. Last winter I gave my self nick name "Wind in his Face" since I mostly seemed to be shooting when the wind was blowing in my face ... and I can see the attribute returning this season.

Equipment: 5.56 rifle with thermal and ir-laser. Sling, lrf, 3x 14 magnifier, .45 acp and serpa, 1 quart canteen.

Activity: Fired 5rds with thermal from 78yds standing unsupported, 36 points, 7.2 avg, fired 5rds with ir-laser from 78yds standing unsupported, 41 points, 8.2 avg.

2014-11-30_zpse347b296.jpg

In both cases it was difficult to see what needed to be seen. With the thermal, it was hard to see the hand warmer, so I cranked 2x magnification. With the ir-laser, it was hard to see the ir-laser, so I had to come at it from the side, where the background was darker.
Shooting into the wind is always "fun". I've gotten the balaklava under the chin strap previously, but couldn't do it tonight. I should've tried harder. I did notice my windward side cheeck was cold when I was walking into the wind to check the targets.

Result: Now to try to do same for the 7.62 rifle. I have two more nights to prepare.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Hog hunting exercise in Texas postponed due to personnel issues ... so switching focus more to long range shooting for a while ... I use .22LR as "sub-caliber simulator" for LR shooting, last year got out to 325 several times with old Mossberg 715 (since sold) now will be trying with PTA upper.

==
2014-12-01
2030-2200
10F
5 mph NE

Goal: Zero .22LR at 100yds.

Environment: Cool tonight, but also clear. Orion and Andromeda visible. I had no fogging problems. Wore tee shirt, light jacket, medium sweater, wet suit top, snow pants and balaklava, so was plenty warm. Moon was 70%, heading towards full this weekend.

Equipment: .22LR, with atlas bipod, L&S 3-18x H58 scope, CO-LR. Eley Match. Thermal mounted on top of COLR for observation. Dual PVS-14s on ballistic helmet.

Activity: This was first time with new (to me) Eley Match. I started knowing I was sort of zeroed with the old Federal AM22 ammo, so decided to fire 2 rds at 100 to see where I was. I aimed at the top of the left black circle. I cranked the scope up to 18x so I could see the target real well. I did not use a "rear bag".

G01 - 100yds - 2rds - 8 + 9 = avg 8.5.
I was right and a little low, so I cranked left 10 clicks (1 mil) and up 5 clicks (0.5 mil).

G02 - 100yds - 2rds - 8 + 7 = avg 7.5.
I was high and a little left. But I had been aiming top center of black circle, so I decided not to click down, but I did click right 1 click. For elevation I just aimed next round at the bull.

G03 - 100yds - 1rd - 8 = avg 8
High and a little to the right. So I click down 2 and left 1. I thought I had 6 rounds in each mag, but then remembered only 5, so I did a mag change.

G04 - 100yds - 2rds - 9 + 7 = avg 8
I was doing NPA and could not compensate for barrel going high after 10s eyes closed, after the first round, barrel still rising, I held a little low. Unfortunately, I hit low. So decided I was pretty close, and I would switch to the other target. I tried lowering the bipod, but these magazines are "tacticool" extra tall magazines and I couldn't lower the bipod. That is a problem shooting prone with this setup.

G05 - 100yds - 2rds - 9 + 9 = avg 9
Decent group, but a little to the left, so I clicked one right. I had a jam in between these two rounds and lost that round in the dirt. I need to clean this sucker. And this Eley ammo is "sticky", so even more cleaning probably required. I probably got some water on the round that jammed and the bolt didn't go home on it, it didn't get all the way in the chamber.

G06 - 100yds - 5rds - 9+9+9+9+8 = avg 8.8
Low and left. The left part might be wind, but lookos like I might need to click up one on elevation. But I am close enough to try to get to 150-200yds next time.

On way out and way back I did some 360s from the top of signal hill, but saw no creatures. I heard some coyotes to the east. I had earlier spotted a place along the fence on hill 1309 where some coyote fur came off on a barb, so the sounds were near that crossing point, but no visual. Mounting the thermal on top of the CO-LR looks silly, but it meant I had one less thing to have in my hands and I could switch back and forth between looking through the CO-LR on 3x and the thermal on 1x with just a slight change of eye position. I rested the stock on my shoulder, so the weight of the contraption was not an issue. The batteries in the thermal died during the final 360. These batteries only last about 90-120m. These are Tenergy rechargables and I use the hecque out of them, but for a real exercise, I would use "real" batteries (lithium non-rechargables). But for practice, the rechargables are fine and they get me used to batteries dying and getting changed. The CO-LR on 3x is very clear, pretty much like the PVS-14 with 3x slipon magnifier.

Results: This new (to me) Eley Match ammo seems better than the old AM22. My groups would have been twice this size with the old ammo. Now I need to practice doing my part. I've run the numbers before and I think I can get out to 300yds with this ammo. I did with the old ammo, so should be able to with this ammo. This ammo is subsonic, so the drop is greater, but the rounds are made to higher tolerance, so the variation per round should be less.
The image on 18x is a little fuzzy, but I liken it to using the digital magnification on the thermal. It makes the target appear larger and for aiming purposes a little fuzziness is ok. For observation, I run it on 3x and it is very clear. My targets are in the shadows, so not illuminated (much) by the moon light. But with the CO-LR on 3x I can see through about 100yds of woods now that the leaves are down, didn't try farther.
Not sure I can afford to standardize on the Eley Match ammo, it costs almost as much as Fed LC 5.56 55gr ammo I use for target shooting. But will try Eley "Edge" as something in between the old AM22 and this Match ammo. It runs in the low 20 cent per round range.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
2014-12-02
1145-1245
30F
10 mph SSE

Goal: Confirm zero of .338LM at 473yds.

Environment: Warmer today with breeze from South. Our wind turbine near the house thinks the wind is from SSE but wind at 473yd FP was from SSW.

Equipment: .338LM rifle with 250gr lapua. L&S 8.5-25x TMR scope, harris 9-12 inch bipod. LRF, AB (Apllied ballistics calculator), Kestrel. No cheat (er rear) bag.

Activity: I averaged wind speed at 8mph for 2m, at 240 degrees off the bullet path at the FP. I keyed 10mph 270 into the AB (Allied Ballistics Calculator) and got 2.7 moa. The knobs are moa on this scope, but the reticle is mils. So I guesstimated and held 1/8 mil (aim at left side of face near shoulder as I was facing the target.

G01 - 473yds - 2rds
Rode in buggy to check target and noted I was still right, so decided to double my hold to 1/4 mil left for wind.

G02 - 473yds - 3rds
This was decent group, 3 inches from center to center of farthest apart rounds.

Results: Goal accomplished, now to push out to 600yds. Shooting at these distances with this rifle and ammo seems easy. I need a place to shoot farther! But that's where the sub-caliber simulators come in. The .22LR simulators droppage and windage at 300yds that I would face much farther out with heavier rifles. I have a plan to shoot at a nearby ranch in February where we can get out to 1400yds with the .338LM, so preparing for that. We will try to do both day and night and I will use .338LM, .308WIN and 7.62 rifles.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you are doing well

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
2014-12-03
2130-2330
30F
02 mph SSE

Goal: Push .22LR out to 200yds.

Environment: Overcast, moonlight almost completely obscured by cloud, but, the pastures are still lite up.

Equipment: .22LR, atlas bipod, L&S 3-18x H58 scope, CO-LR, thermal. LRF, dual 14s. Eley match, AB, Kestrel. No rear bag.

Activity: Wind averaged 1.3 mph for 2m pretty much directly from the rear of the bullet path at the 150yd FB, the only place I measured. Tried three groups at 100yds. I had cranked elevation up one after last time so elevation was at 1.2 mils. I cranked the scope all the way up to 18x, so I could see the target real good. That also let's me see the marks on the reticle very well.

G01 - 100yds - 2rds - 9+9 avg 9
High, so I cranked back down 1. Now at 1.1

G02 - 100yds - 2rds - 9+9 avg 9
Elevation ok, but left, so cranked right 1 click.

G03 - 100yds - 2rds - 9+9 avg 9
Still left, so cranked right 2 clicks and went to 150yds. My 100yds zero is 1.1 mils on the dial.

G04 - 150yds - 2rds - 7+7 avg 6
Measured distance with lrf, got 149 and 150 and called it good.
AB said to crank 2.4 up so I cranked to 3.5 mils on the dial.
Way left, so decided to hold right half a mil.

G05 - 150yds - 2rds - 9 + 8 avg 8.5
This hold was good. So went to 200yds.

G06 - 200yds - 1 rd - 0 avg 0
I remembered right after I pulled the trigger, that I had forgotten to elevate, so I got some dirt/rock pieces making scratches in the target. I've only done this once before, but I don't like it, when I do this. If you forget to crank, no telling what else you'll forget.
AB said to crank 2.7 up, so I cranked to 6.2 mils on the dial.
For windage, I cranked 3 right (0.3 mils) and aimed at the bull. This was a little more than half the 0.5 I had held at 150yds.

G07 - 200yds - 2 rds - 9+9 avg 9
I'll take that group.

Results: Well, serious black mark forgetting to crank. But, achieved goal and now ready to push to 300yds next time. If the wind is like tonight, It should be possible.
I heard a lot of flapping in the trees while I was shooting at 100yds, but I never saw birds in the trees. Owls live there and I had heard them before shooting when I was doing 360s at signal hill, but I think these were Turkeys. The owls usually holler if I disturb them, the Turkey's usually flap away if there is just one or two of them. And I saw 2 Turkey's in the pasture on my way back as well. I heard coyotes to the SE, but they were over 500yds away.
I could not see the LRF laser at 200yds with the 14s. I've seen the laser at 300yds before, so I'll try changing the battery on the LRF. I had to lase an intermediate point, the tree at the 100yd FP. I forgot to try ranging with the reticle. I've been practicing that off the back porch in the day time with this reticle.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
2014-12-05
2030-2200
40F
5 mph N

Goal: .22LR at 300yds.

Environment: I call this "heavy mist". I've only had one night like this previously, once last year, when I could not see the targets at 60yds with anything I had then: MKIEB, 1000Lumen white light, PS-22 with gen3a tube, with or without ir illumn. The clouds were on the ground tonight, no light sources visible in the sky, but a little must have been leaking through, because I could estimate 100yds visibility while rolling out in the buggy.

Equipment: .22LR with CO-LR and thermal, atlas bipod, Eley Match. Dual 14s on helmet, with LRF and 3x magnifier on belt pouches.

Activity: I realized the goal would not be reached, so I re-tasked the exercise to observing in these conditions. I wanted to find the edges. The only hot observation target I had was the buggy, so I parked it on signal hill and went on foot with the thermal as a hand held monocular.

80yds thermal - identification
80yds L-3 14 - identification
80yds LRF - range

130yds thermal - detection
130yds L-3 14 - detection

200yds L-3 with 3x slipon magnifier - identification

250yds L-3 with 3x slipon magnifier - detection

I had to estimate non-rangeable distances with foot steps, but I checked them twice on the way out and on the way back, except for the 250yd distance, but the other distances closely calibrated within a few yards, in both directions. The farthest I could lase anything was 87yds, off a tree line. I got 87yds exactly once. I got an 86 and an 85, and a lot more less than that, off a tree line. But for the buggy 79-82 was the max. Bouncing off the front of the buggy is pretty reflective, because I have the windows on the buggy, but still nothing more than 82yds lasing the buggy.

Results: I was surprised the thermal could not do better. I wonder if it could if there was an actual critter to look at. I guess I'll find out one day, but these types of nights only seem to come around once a year on our land.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Critters will show up in the thermal, but no reference as to how close or far other then a guess.
Had this happen last 2 nights. Like looking into nothng with the thermal (Thermal used -ls64 useless, ps 24 & 32 were better using the instalert4 setting, zues 336 75mm the 5x lens only good for targeting not scanning as no background would appear), then some hot spots started to appear with the ps24.
As the hot spots came closer I could id with the zues 336 5x as to the critters were hogs, so put a bullet thru one at around 120 meters. Hog ran about 40yds and game over.
Hog is in the ice chest. It started to drizzle as I was cutting up the hog and visibility went to 20-30yds. When everything is wet and cold and the air is saturated with moisture thermal is better then anything, but not what you are use to seeing. Pvs14 no light to boost, with IR light it just bounced back off the drizzle and would over drive the pvs14.
Pretty much worse conditions I have ever seen, I have been in thunder storms using the thermal and pvs 14 and could see no problem( having the 720 ir filter on the pvs14 helps with the flashes of lightning not leaving a trail on the screen). Working on video to show some examples of last 2 nights.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I agree with all that EXCEPT ... note that for me the magnified PVS-14 seemed to give better results. I probably had a tiny bit more light than you? This is a "slip on the front" 3x magnifier and seems to pull in more light than the 14 without this magnifier.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
I have the usgi 3x as well, but the fog was really bad in the field I was in. The night before dew point was bad but not visible so the thermal had a very hard time as no back ground could be seen, but pvs14 was nice and clear with the 3x lens to 800yds no problem and with 10x lens ID at 800yds was no problem. But when the fog was the thickest I have ever seen, it was a suprise to not be able to see with gen3 pvs14 or thermal. Keep in mind with a light 5yds was all you could see, so thermal worked better then the pvs14 but I felt blind for the first time, so it can happen. It may not have happened to you but don't think it can't. I have never been in that situation before, not able to scan and see in the dark. Even ir light at ground level could not get under the fog. I think it has to do with the field beinga low spot with wind break surrounding the field, so not having any air movement let the fog settle in. Now I get the saying the fog was as thick as pea soup :D

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Oh, still the worst night I've experienced was last year. I could not see target at 60yds with anything.

In those days I had:

MKIEB
1000L white light
PS-22, gen3a
B450 ir-ill.

Conditions were "heavy mist", as I call it. But even heavier than last night.

MKIEB - I could see the trees and the berm, but not the target.
White light - I could see the trees but not the berm. Too much light reflecting off the water in the air.
gen3a - nothing
ir-illum - bright nothing (reflecting back)

I was hoping the thermal could do better ... but last night with nothing, except the buggy with enough heat (or emissivity) difference, nothing else could be seen, not even the tree lines, with the thermal. Last night, the MKIEB could see about as good as the unmagnified L-3 and better than the thermal. Only the magnified L-3 could get out to 200+.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
2014-12-06
0930-1200
30F
0 mph N

Goal: Creek walk

Environment: Still pretty misty, completely overcast. Cool, no breeze.

Equipment: 5.56 with sling, eotech and thermal, 55gr FLC. Binos, 1 quart canteen.

Activity: First creek walk since last spring a lot has changed. The bottoms moved around quite a bit in some places. We had two "bridge washout" rains this summer. A lot of of sharp rocks in the creek. Not flowing much on the upper side, but pooled up along 95% of the length and flowing on the bottom (lower) side. I walked about 2 miles in/near the creek bottom today. Some places it is too deep and I get up on the bank. I use saplings to help pull myself up and lower myself down. As the crow flies a straight creek would be about 1.414 miles on our land from where it enters, to where it leaves, but the creek meanders, and it is much longer.

Pic01 - On the ride side, last the point where the rock bank ends, there is a low bank and here one of our 365 d/yr springs enters the main creek. You can also note the main creek channel with pooled up water and rocks. My wife and I call this "spring 01" because it was the first spring we found, we traced it up to the origin. But a better name might be "spring below the pond", since this spring originates and a point about 200yds NNW of the pond, at a lower elevation.

IMAG1252_zps6aa7b447.jpg

Video01 - This shows the flow of "spring below the pond" entering the main creek. If you look carefully, maybe you can see the flow.

[youtube]

Pic02 - Farther down the creek, past what we call the "main ford", the water is deeper and flowing. I had to go up on the bank to get around this deep section. I use the saplings has hand holds to help me up and down the banks.

IMAG1254_zpsfff31378.jpg

Pic03 - Past the big pool shown above and back in the main channel. The water is flowing here.

IMAG1256_zps636215c1.jpg

Video02 - Showing the flow at the same spot as Pic03.

[youtube]

Pic04 - Farther downstream, we can see some ice still on the top of the water.

IMAG1257_zps7e47627a.jpg

Video03 - The most "exciting" part of my journey was climbing up a part of the bank that has a small feeder creek flowing into the main creek 8 feet below. I had to remove most of my gear and toss up on the rocks above, to lighten my weight. Then I was able to grab the rock and pull myself up to my upper waist, while slipping and sliding with my feet on the bank. Once up that far, I leaned forward as far as I could and I could take 80% of the load off my arms for a little rest. Then I pulled and squirmed to the point where the rock edge was at my lower waist. Then leaning all the way forward, I could take 97% of the load off my arms and rest again. Then I was able to slide sideways while pulling and get my right leg up on the rock. Then I was there and just more pulling and sliding. Got some mud on me and the gear, but got up the 8 foot bank. Here is a shot. I looks like an 8 inch bank in the video, but it is higher!

[youtube]

Pic05 - A skeleton. This might be from some cows aand calves that went missing from a pasture neighbors land last year. I expanded my search after seeing this, but found no more skeletons. A more exhaustive search is in order, but this area is very rough back here. We call it "the jungle" :).

IMAG1258_zpsf3f10d07.jpg

Results: Back at the house, my right shoulder is a little sore. I had the rifle and the water on that shoulder for 2.5 hours ( minus the several mins I scrambled up the bank).

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice country there, water, feed, has to be game all over.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Just went out with .22LR with CO-LR in front of L&S 3-18x H58 scope and thermal mounted on top of that. It is still very misty, 30F, no wind. Thermal can see 8 "blobs" in the alfalfa patch, 400yds from my back porch. CO-LR in front of scope at 6x can see 5 deer, clearly. Vegetation obscures the other three deer from the i^2 device ... but the i^2 device can clearly see they are deer, versus the thermal seeing them as "blobs". Nice example of trade-off. I need to figure out how to take pics through the scope+CO-LR.