Practicing with Night Vision

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
and here's a pic of cattle I ranged at 183yds on 12x.

49744238892_2f6186577d_k.jpg

Here is the first 5 rd group with the UTC-xii. It was a 17/16 group and was centered high and right with only 1 rd on the handwarmer. It was centered 1 inch high and 1.5 inches right (sry for the fuzz).

49743406888_a16127f861_k.jpg

I forgot to tell SB001 to dial down his magnification to min mag required to quarter the handwarmers. When I shoot handwarmers this is the best practice as they are rather large targets and they bleed. For all groups after the first (which was on 16x) he dialed down to 8x. And I also forgot to remind him to focus, so all groups after the first included verification that the thermal clipon was focused. I did remember to remind him to set the parallax knob on the day scope to infinity.

Here is the first 5 rd group with the UTC-x it was 1 14/16 group and was centered high and left on the hand warmer.

49744082403_948be7ef4a_k.jpg

And here is the first 5 rd groups with the UTC "nada". It was .75 high and .25 left. It was a 12/16 group.

49744249987_98f2f2c64b_k.jpg

I laughed out loud when I saw the "nada" group was basically dead center on windage ... compared to the vaunted "xii" and "x" versions ... :)

So, in summary, surprisingly, the UTC "nada" wound up having, on avg, the least POI shift. The second UTC-x group hit right on top of the first group (after a remount). The second UTC "nada" group was .5 left and 19/16 (the worst handwarmer group and had 1 outlyer round way left that thru the group left and the group size up to 19/16. All other rounds were on the handwarmer and just a tiny bit left.

The last UTC-xii group was a bit lower but still right.

Again, we remounted each clipon between each group.

==
Then finally we headed out back on the 4-wheeler for some wind practice.

Rolled to the target area and setup a steel target (the cows knock them down, must be great fun cow game !! :D ). Then heated the target with propane torch and headed up to the 300yds FP and setup. Since we had not be able to confirm DOPE in the day, I wanted to start at 300yds. sb001's first rd was low and right, he said he mistakenly held 0.5. It might be that he has never shot with any of my T3 reticles, so today might have been the first time he's ever shot with a T3 ! :)
2nd and 3rd rds were hits and we walked to 400yds, were he got first rd hit, second miss and 3rd hit. Then walked to 500yds, were again he got first rd hit, two misses and 4th rd hit. For myself, I only count first rd hits, so he got 2 hits and 1 miss, if I just count 1st rds. This was off tripod. The wind was behind us and we checked it three times. I made the call and I could not see any deviation between the wind and the bullet path.

==
Results/Summary: Well, over the years we've had an amazing number of issues trying to get sb001's barreled action to work. Today was a shinning exception !!! Besides averageing sub-moa groups both in the day and night, sb001 got 2 of 3 first rd hits on the steel at night ... all with chassis, scope, clipon and ammo he had never used before. I was very happy !!

He also brought me out 8 lbs of CFE223 and 8 lbs of TAC. And 1000 155 SMK bullets and 1000 77gr SMK bullets and 3000 205M primers.

I will use the CFE223 to try to develop a load for the 155gr and the TAC for the 77gr. So we are going all in on the 556 reloading business as well as the 762x51 reloading business. This will mean we are reloading for ALL our centerfire rifles and carbines since all we have a 556 and 762x51 !!