ok maybe something's wrong

D

djones

decided to check impact at various yardages. zero is 100 yards. all shots were at 2x (6 power), except the last shot.

100 yards - dead on
75 yards - bout 1.5" low
50 yards - bout 3" low
normal since scope height is greater than the bullets trajectory at 100 yards.

200 yards - missed target???
tried again at 200 yards (video first shot) - miss
tried right target at 4x (12 power) (video second shot). 5-6" low

what's up with that? obviously i'm not the best shot around, and this is out the truck window, but it didn't seem like i could have missed that much.

target_zpsfphefd3w.jpg

D

djones

did some scouting before buddies showed up. who would have guessed i'd see a daytime hog. she was headed down a trail when i first got her in the scope. then she stopped so i got closer since there was some brush in the way and the daylight setting wasn't optimal for thermal. slipped into easy range but still had a little brush. might have rushed the shot a little but she was skiddish and very close to disappearing for good.

brought the truck up and videoed the approach so you could see what the terrain looked like. i drove around the left side because the brush was a lot thicker on the right where i snuck in and shot from.

IMG_1489_zpsmj8uudp3.jpg

D

djones

i was checking out the animal and didn't realize it was a cat until it was too close for anyone else to get out without spooking it. the farther it walked to the right, the more twisted i got in the seat. i rushed the shot because i thought it was too close to the brush line. apparently cats don't respond well to the lip squeak. i know i gut shot it but i'll go back later and look again. it might not bee too far in.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

djones

this hog was on the passenger side so i was just going to film over the top of the truck while standing on the step rail and let the other guys shoot. good thing i was ready. also a good thing that i saw low my gun shot at 200 yards earlier.

IMG_1492_zpsjtl833el.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Club foot. What happened to all the sounders? Just single hogs these days?

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
16" 6.8
95gr barnes ttsx
30.0 aa2200

fields plowed. no food, no cover. hogs gone till planting season

I hear good things about that load .... hogs gone till planting season??

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What is your sight height? (Distance from barrel to center of objective lens). Mines about 2.75" for the Reap-IR with Dloc mount.

Also, what velocity r u getting from those bullets?

Attachments

• IMG_5752.PNG
    IMG_5752.PNG
    366.3 KB · Views: 3

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm assuming you're getting 2700 FPS.
My .277 Wolverine spits same bullet at 2714.
75 yard zero good 50-190 less then 2" rise/fall.

Maybe clean your rifle?
6.8 smokes a wolverine way more powder capacity.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hear good things about that load .... hogs gone till planting season??
You hear wrong. Sure ear shots or even center shosee shots work hit anywhere else they just zip on through might as well be a fmj.

D

djones

don't remember the exact scope height, but i had 3" in my strelok app. haven't chronoed them but i was expecting them to be over 2,800. i definitely have fire coming out the end of the suppressor so there's no flies on them.

i actually cleaned my rifle a couple hunts ago. i usually just oil the bolt and it's good to go. however, i've been performing a detail cleaning every 500-1,000 rounds... and i'm not sure it even needs that!

his foot got shot off somewhere in the melee

i don't know how animals that weigh a couple hundred pounds can get by digging up food in the pasture, but they do it. i have to bait the edges just to get them to peek out. seems like the same thing happens in other places whether they go back to a river or canyon.

dunno why the 95gr ttsx catches so much flak. i took out two hogs with less than a hand full of bullets each. i should get some type of award banner.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
decided to check impact at various yardages. zero is 100 yards. all shots were at 2x (6 power), except the last shot.

100 yards - dead on
75 yards - bout 1.5" low
50 yards - bout 3" low
normal since scope height is greater than the bullets trajectory at 100 yards.

200 yards - missed target???
tried again at 200 yards (video first shot) - miss
tried right target at 4x (12 power) (video second shot). 5-6" low

what's up with that? obviously i'm not the best shot around, and this is out the truck window, but it didn't seem like i could have missed that much.

target_zpsfphefd3w.jpg
Actually from my experience this is about what you would expect. If you want to be closer at 200 yds, you should be about 1 1/2" high at 100 yds. This will put you closer to zero at 50. I'm sure someone will shoot me down, but this why most of us zero at 50 with thermals. It keeps you closer to zero until you are almost out of practical range at night.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would suggest a 5 shot group at 100 yds to confirm zero. U might be low at 100, meaning the bullet never even rises unough to cross the line of sight at any distances. Either way there shouldn't be a 3" difference between 50 and 100 yards if you were zeroed at 100 with a 3 inch sight height. Probably more like 1" low at 50 if you're dead on at 100. Try to zero 1" high at 100 yds with a 5 shot group.

When I had the W1000 with 100 mm lens my sight height was 3.5" I'm pretty sure. So a 75 mm thermal probably is abiut a 3" sight height unless the armasight mounts are super tall or something

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Actually from my experience this is about what you would expect. If you want to be closer at 200 yds, you should be about 1 1/2" high at 100 yds. This will put you closer to zero at 50. I'm sure someone will shoot me down, but this why most of us zero at 50 with thermals. It keeps you closer to zero until you are almost out of practical range at night.
I suggested the 50 zero and to verify POI at 100 and 200 with that, and see how close to zero it came back down to at 200 with it. It's not the first time he's had it suggested. I just enjoy watching the warning shots sending the hogs to running, and the melee which ensues.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I suggested the 50 zero and to verify POI at 100 and 200 with that, and see how close to zero it came back down to at 200 with it. It's not the first time he's had it suggested. I just enjoy watching the warning shots sending the hogs to running, and the melee which ensues.
I think he just enjoys shooting at them on the run, whether he hits them or not isn't important as long as he gets to shoot. Lol

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think he just enjoys shooting at them on the run, whether he hits them or not isn't important as long as he gets to shoot. Lol
LOL... new campaign. Only "Like" vids when he hits on the first shot.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I don't think I can support that. I feel like if anyone takes the time to post a video or pictures, they have earned a "like." I know how many things can go wrong when you try to video your hunt.