now they're taunting me

D

djones

i haven't confirmed anything about the magazines yet. i just needing something to blame, lol, i got three pri 25 round mags. i wanted the high capacity for obvious reasons, hehe, but not sure if they are the most reliable??

this place is next to a tank that floods easily. there were so many mosquitoes i had to pull my shirt over my face to cut down on the number i actually swallowed. i stalked this herd forever, mainly because i lost sight of them so many times in the weeds. i wanted to get closer, but my footsteps were just too loud.

got lots of shots here. watching the vid, i saw more screen interference and noticeable recoil. i know the shots were pretty far there at the end, and the hogs were pretty small, but i was surprised i didn’t hit any more than i did. i counted 3 hits at the beginning and one more about in the middle.

when i was done, i saw one of the first hogs still standing. took aim and… boom. holy crap…MY SCOPE FELL OFF!!! now i seem to remember someone talking about replacing these mounts. when i switched it to the new rifle i did notice that mine does not have a name on it, so i guess it’s the cheap one. but what really bothers me is that no one told me what the actual problem was with these mounts. i’m going to go back and find out who the culprit is who was probably waiting for this to happen to me while he sat back and laughed. i have a feeling it’s that guy from bermuda who wears khakis, but i’m not naming any names yet. the bad thing is this happened to me on my other rifle right after i got the scope. i just tightened the qr levers really tight and checked them often. i thought they were tight enough on the new gun, but i guess i’m in the market for a new mount now. i didn’t know joining this place would be so expensive.

too many weeds and mosquitoes to look for very long. plus i was tired and bummed about the scope. after i found one hog i just wanted out of there. the rule is… no pic, no pig, so only calling this a one kill.

pig4_zps8gusfpin.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
lots of shooting going on the ooops, the scope falls off, that had to be a bit disconcerting!

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Second pic looks like aliens wrote a message from outer space for ya DJ...
Welcome to the 6.8 club.
Good shooting as always.

D

djones

thanks for the encouragement!

i was thinking about work at 8:00am and really should have gone home, but the 6.8 was just too sexy. i opened my third monster and poured a 5 hour energy in it, just to give it some extra vitamins. that was just what the doctor ordered. i was good to go and pulled into the last spot. bingo… hogs. it was a hike across the field and i was a little out of breath. the scope had been repeatable after dismounting and remounting before, but i wasn’t confident enough for a head shot. went for the percentage shot and flattened the first one. then the energy drink kicked in and i was a little shaky on the next hog. sounds like he took a hit, and i think i saw him in the brush towards the end, but…. no pic, no pig.

was on a roll with the shooting and the tripod leg went out as i was turning. but you deal with whatever comes along and i managed to regroup, but not without knocking the scope cover down for a moment. when i recovered… babies!! everyone loves babies!! playtime begins…

ran out of bullets before i ran out of babies. you can hear me continue pretending to fire just cause i couldn’t seem to get my finger off the trigger. it still felt good too. oh well, some saved for another night.

quad5_zpszkglgvr5.jpg

pig5_zps2uuunqid.jpg

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lots of action there. Sorry the armasight mount failed on you.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you must be exhausted at work?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gotta love a good face-plant! Lots of great action to enjoy there. Thanks for sharing all that good hunting footage.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB

these were completely exposed in wheat stubble. can’t believe i got so close with no cover. for some reason i could only get 16 rounds in this mag. i thought it would be plenty, but i should have known. yea... you can hear me clicking the trigger on an empty chamber there at the end. i did make a pretty good shot on the baby if i say so myself! i think i may have accidently left another one in the field. oh well...

quad2_zpswnsxqevj.jpg
I think you made six good hits.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heck of a night!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like the way those cute little fellas nose dive when hit.
DJ's day job is doing sleep deprivation tests.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like the way those cute little fellas nose dive when hit.
DJ's day job is doing sleep deprivation tests.

D

djones

ok, time to fess up. it appears the scope mount failure may have been... ummm... operator error. i thought the more you tightened the throw levers the less chance they would come loose. turns out if you tighten them too much the locking tabs don't pop up and secure the levers. i loosened the levers and they appear to close properly now.

two of my mags hold 26 rounds effortlessly. the third mag holds about 18 with some effort and 23 with extreme effort. haven't taken any apart yet to see if there's any visible difference causing that. either way i can live with it.

i actually got a lot of practice staying out all night in my misspent youth. of course it hurts worse now but that's what monsters are for. they're not just for breakfast anymore! the trick is to down one on the way to work. then try to tough it out till lunch. if you start to take a nose dive like the little piggies go ahead and start another at 9 and just sip it the rest of the morning. take a power nap during lunch (don't skip this step no matter what). now the hard part... try to gut it out till about 3 before drinking another. if you start one too soon in the afternoon you'll crash. then there aren't enough monsters on the planet to get you to 5:00.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Be careful with that stuff... does ugly things to your system after a while. BP begins to soar, heart troubles can creep up. I know a young man (early 30s) who took a trip to the ER and ended up on BP Rx because of drinking 6 of those things/day.

D

djones

i hear ya. perhaps i'm exaggerating just a bit; although i have been drinking them regularly for over 10 years. they've definitely aged me but it wouldn't be as much fun if it was good for me :-/

D

djones

scram i do believe you're right (for once). i was reading it upside down
hammer_zpsf379c626.gif

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats sir! On the hunts and the new toy! Hunting with you has to be a riot with the numbers of pigs and all your BS! Lol

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
So Djones is now a 6.8 man, well I see another opportunity ahead - since you've made the choice to go *** you should talk with Constructor (Harrison) about offering a limited edition Djones action figure with every gun sold.

It's a win win for all - the little action figure can have a utility belt with holsters for extra magazines and monster energy drinks!

Cool videos - I couldn't imagine ever seeing that many hogs over the course of 1 evening in Stephens County (twilight zone of hog hunting)