now they're taunting me

D

djones

what would you do if you were supposed to be watching a field and the landowner sent you this pic? i was going to hunt saturday night but got rained out and that's what i missed. did some scouting sunday and flew a drone over the area. what looked like normal rooting was actually the hogs spelling out 'bite me djones'!

well guess what? the secret weapon came in and even though i knew i would be miserable at work today, i stayed out all night. the ones i didn't murder had to watch while their comrades found out... you mess with the bull, you get the horn. massive carnage to follow....

rooting_zpspr28vfhi.jpg

D

djones

freshly planted peanuts. they stick their nose in the ground and go right down the row plowing them up. this isn't a lot of damage but if a lot keep coming back they can wipe out a lot of acres

20160612_105009_zpst2kdidm0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Crop circles....now we know!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They love peanut fields, we have them here and there is massive damage

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
People around here have pretty much given up on peanuts due to the hogs.

D

djones

i just had to have a 6.8 to see what the hoopla was all about. i must admit, it’s badass. i only got 5 boxes of shells so i didn’t want to waste too many playing around. i did test velocity of 3 rounds of hornady 120gr sst which averaged 2518 in the 16” barrel. got on target and tested feed and bolt lock with 3 of the 25 round pri mags. still haven’t figured out the best place to mount scope crap. my hand seems to go all over the hand guard so something’s gotta go.

got on the first herd and was ready to slaughter. had some sort of issue after the fourth shot. pulled trigger but no bang. don’t remember exactly what i did, but i think a push on the forward assist closed the bolt. then a few rounds later some sort of jam occurred. luckily pulling the charging handle and slapping a new round got her going again. not much to shoot at by then but got some on the ground. looks like i might have left one out there.

pair1_zps5jmle95m.jpg

tried a new mag on the rest of the hunts and didn’t have any more failures. i really need to adjust the gas block before my next trip too. other than that i like everything about this rifle. i see a difference on the video as far as less recoil although i don’t really notice it when shooting. after this first hunt, i see why the 120gr sst gets the nod from so many of y’all. utterly brutal round.

closeup1_zpsgjlgos1z.jpg

D

djones

these were completely exposed in wheat stubble. can’t believe i got so close with no cover. for some reason i could only get 16 rounds in this mag. i thought it would be plenty, but i should have known. yea... you can hear me clicking the trigger on an empty chamber there at the end. i did make a pretty good shot on the baby if i say so myself! i think i may have accidently left another one in the field. oh well...

quad2_zpswnsxqevj.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Which 6.8 rig Did'ja git? Congrats and welcome to the fold. Me thinks you'll enjoy it more and more as you use it.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We told ya so.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That one pig running with his tail up in the air looked like some pro track runner!! He was gettin it!!! Nice goin! BANG BANG!!

DJ, I sent you a message

D

djones

got one of the *** custom jobs.

this guy was taking a shower under a pivot. the noise makes it easier to sneak up, not to mention he could barely see over the corn. this should have been a slam/dunk, but it just goes to show you... nothing’s for sure. the 120gr sst didn’t exit. this bad boy took the whole enchilada and came up for more. actually, it couldn’t have worked out better. if he could just make it to the pivot road, i wouldn’t have to go in and drag him out! after seeing where i hit him, i can see why he was able to recover. still, that’s a lot of punishment to absorb. not sure the 308 would have done any better.

pig3_zpso5e3vc1h.jpg

oddly, the gimme finishing shot didn’t quite land where it was supposed to. but it was close enough that i didn’t pay much attention. he was a bruiser, and i soon forgot about the shot placement. boy would that come back to haunt me.

first shot - little high for behind the shoulder
first%20shot%203_zpskgicv2ms.jpg

finishing shot - was thinking it was closer to the eye
second%20shot3_zpsxsd4gwg1.jpg

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Knocked the snot out of him and he wanted more! BANG BANG!!

Tough critters fo sure

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You can tell he was pretty sick just before you finished him off. He was spitting up fluids, twice, just before the last shot. Nice kill... and to be patient.

And, yer gonna enjoy that *** rig. Good choice.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now that was some fine shooting Djones! Thanks for posting, those were some fun videos. You just made me feel even better about ordering a 6.8 *** 16" scout and a case of ssts last Thursday.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you are on with the 6.8 !! Welcome to the club ; )

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have 3 of those *** beauties, all shoot great you will be happy. ASC and CPD mags are good to go!