Mulefoot DOUBLE, 6 From Sounder, 1 Lone Boar

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Did you know the Mulefoot is an actual breed of pig? Today, the Mulefoot is the rarest of American swine breeds. It has been a conservation priority for American Livestock Breeds Conservancy for over a decade.

Only about 600 registered in the US and 1000 worldwide. You might contact the register and let them know about the wild population you have found, I am betting they would be interested

Yep, since the first one, I have been researching them.
Montague Mulefoot Sow | Lone Star Boars

I have contacted the Registry. They are not interested. Feral hogs are not considered purebreds and so are not considered part of the heritage breed. They don't care to share with me any information on who might have been raising them in my area, either. I have found the 1910 and 1916 registries online and while there are numerous mulefoot hogs (registered purebreds) that were sold to folks in Texas and a couple of registered breeders noted in Texas in those two volumes, I can't find anything close to Montague County. Of course, having mulefeet is just a homozygous recessive condition, one of many traits. For example, a couple that have been killed in east Texas also had wattles. I have yet to see a feral hog with wattles, but they are out there, as well.

Glenn Guess who has also killed 2 in Montague County has told me that he has been told that there was a breeder in Montague County, but he hasn't been able to track down who it was or where it was specifically, but all of our hogs have been killed in the lower half of the county. No idea if the breeder was actually a registered breeder or not.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Interesting, Brian, we have wattles here too, actually they were transported in by doggers who catch and release them over and over. At one time the pure bred Mulefoots were highly desirable.

I was watching Bizzare Foods last night and Andrew Zimmer the host was in GA at Comfort Ranch, where they host Wounded Warriors and they showcased the Mulefoot they breed there and went on and on about how great they were for BBQ, so I finally looked them up!