In the Arctic, We Just Call it a "Blow"

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No media hype, no running from it. Ya just hunker down and don't do stupid.
Can't get to my job site until the blow settles. On the left is the sustained winds on shore (where I'm stuck). On the right is the sustained wind on SID (where I'm trying to get to). Been four days of this. Yes, that's mph you see. And, yes, ambient temp is in the 20sF. LOL

c797ed3af4f2fb50402405d946db01b4.jpg

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
do you not get paid until you reach your destination?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not for me, you are a tough guy!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So as far as you go your tour has started no matter if you get to the site or not...well that is a good thing!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Only hosing thus far, missed out on 4 hrs of OT for day one. The jet couldn't land in Deadhorse initially, had to go back to Anchorage and try again.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What in the heck would the wind chilly be?? As stated above "heck with that" Holy cow!!! One good thing it is not sub zero yet!!?? BANG BANG!!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What in the heck would the wind chilly be?? As stated above "heck with that" Holy cow!!! One good thing it is not sub zero yet!!?? BANG BANG!!
Lower than what this charts shows, but, not too bad. Now... when the ambient is -40F (and it WILL in about 3 mos)... PAINFUL!

windchill.gif

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
NOAA needs to update their charts?? 25 below with a 35 MPH wind is the coldest I have seen it or been in and that is why Texas is called home!! BANG BANG!!

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Bit chilly. Don't miss my time flying up there, never had to do so many wave-offs due to critters on the runway.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang to cold for me.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hey RD, you will get a kick out of this. I just got to work to start my hitch in the morning. The forecast is for mid 50s in the morning and one of my room mates says he will surely have to have his jacket for pre-flight. I told him he was just a big wuss. At least I don't wear a jacket until it gets into the low 40s or high 30s. Where you are, I would just have to hug the stove all day and night.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey RD, you will get a kick out of this. I just got to work to start my hitch in the morning. The forecast is for mid 50s in the morning and one of my room mates says he will surely have to have his jacket for pre-flight. I told him he was just a big wuss. At least I don't wear a jacket until it gets into the low 40s or high 30s. Where you are, I would just have to hug the stove all day and night.
I've been wearing a fleece hoodie over a t-shirt. LOL

Made it to the island. NOW... (quite often) the wind will change direction and we'll do it all over again. When it changes direction 180 degrees after a blow, we call that a SUCK. :eek:

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
o_O7F, 20mph winds, wind chill to -15F.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Super Typhoon Nuri making its way to the Bering Sea (may be the strongest storm in recorded history, packing 180 mph winds). Filming of Deadliest Catch is going on, seas of 50' are expected.