Hunting rig bible

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well I have a hard time calling any KME a firetruck in the first place, but people call those OES rigs firetrucks... If it isn't a Pierce or Spartan it isn't worth taking to the fire!

Ohh!!! You know what, I gotta find a picture of the USFS trucks.... You like lime green???

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I knew I had it in a file somewhere, this was published in a couple magizines too...

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now the trooper is the larger of the 2, pretty tall, not sure how much smaller the II's are but I like the way the back doors open and they are pretty reliable.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I knew I had it in a file somewhere, this was published in a couple magizines too...

Ack !!!! I see it Spontaneously Self-Combusted !!! I would too, if I were that color !!!

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LMAO! The Gooberment decided that it was a non-intruding color and it wouldn't harm the animals, or at least that's what I was told!

Frank, get the II if you can, the regular Trooper is tall and likes to tip over with its narrow track. The II can get sketchy in steep country also, but being in Florida you don't have real hills to worry about! lol

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Keeps Mechanics Employed. LOL The first 2 yrs of my career I was on one. Well when it wasn't OOS
LMAO!! We were down a reserve engine last year when our 1989 Arrow gave up the ghost. OES gave us the KME and I worked on it for 5 weeks straight, it never went into service the entire time it was here. And I couldn't pull any of the others for services or anything during that time. Luckly we got a nicer loaner from the next town over and then I could swap things in and out for repairs.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LMAO! The Gooberment decided that it was a non-intruding color and it wouldn't harm the animals, or at least that's what I was told!

Frank, get the II if you can, the regular Trooper is tall and likes to tip over with its narrow track. The II can get sketchy in steep country also, but being in Florida you don't have real hills to worry about! lol

Thanks, yeah we have no hills at all but ant hills...lol even thought of a Rodeo

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A Rodeo wouldn't be a bad idea, there isn't much difference between one and a Trooper.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just like the back doors on the trooper better. I am tired of tearing up my good truck at the lease and want a beater to go back and forth and to hunt from.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's why I got a hunting truck. I was looking at the 4runners until TLM told me to really consider a Land Cruiser. Glad I did because I am liking it so far.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah i would like a land cruiser too but they are alot higher here...heck I will take a truck but extended cab w a camper shell too...just need a cheap on gas beater.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Buy one up here, then you'll be close enought to book a hunt with T-bone. LOL. Win Win

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yeah i would like a land cruiser too but they are alot higher here...heck I will take a truck but extended cab w a camper shell too...just need a cheap on gas beater.
A 1990-1998 Mazda pickup might fit the bill. They make a 4x4 with a 4cyl. Its actually a ford ranger, but the price is MUCH lower. I can find the 2wd ones here for 1500-1800 all day, the 4x4s are harder to find, but they are out there for 2000-2500

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah and any of the TOY old truck would be good too.

OK HD, sell me the one you just got for $1500, I will come get it and book a hunt too???

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well... for now, my "huntin' rig" is also a daily driver. M'be less so, now that I've got one of my other rigs squared away and runnin' good.

'90 Dodge Dakota (2WD) with a V6. It's got a posi-rear in it, so it's as good as most of the "4x4" rigs in my area. I have NO idea WHY... but they order 'em with open diffs. "?" May not be the greatest on gas... but not having a truck payment goes a LONG ways towards balancing things out. Purrs like a kitten and still runs clean. About the ONLY thing NOT working on this truck, are the power mirrors (plastic gears are stripped). Just had the air-conditioning converted to 134A and fully charged... and with 178,000 miles on it, it still holds its own.

Dakota.jpg

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A 1990-1998 Mazda pickup might fit the bill. They make a 4x4 with a 4cyl. Its actually a ford ranger, but the price is MUCH lower. I can find the 2wd ones here for 1500-1800 all day, the 4x4s are harder to find, but they are out there for 2000-2500
There cheap cuz there like setting in an airliner now, I have to buy two seats to fly, one for each cheek. I cant even get in a toy truck anymore.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
RD, not a thing wrong with a 2wd with a limited slip! My "nice" truck is a 2010 GMC 1500 2wd with a limited slip and I have taken it all over the ranches a few times, usually to drag my broke Toyota or Jeep back to the house to work on it!