Getting older sucks...

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Today, tore out some aging/rotting stairs at an apartment building. New ones have 14' long 4x12 pressure treated stringers, with bolt on expanded metal aluminum treads. Turned out really nice, rock solid. Tomorrow we're going to install hog-panel between the stringers and the rail.

Also for tomorrow is some concrete repair around a drain at the car port. So, this afternoon, busting up the old section in preparation. My buddy's on the wrecking bar to pry, and I was swinging my sledge to crack it into smaller bites. Trying to maintain proper form... starting with it up over my head, generate as much speed as possible with the down stroke, and bending my knees as my arms are straight out in front of me. A couple dozen blows into it, I was at max force driving it down when the head separated. The sudden lack of weight didn't set well with my lower back and neck. It's a three ibuprofen evening. LOL

The weird part of it is... no visible cracks in the handle (before I started, and I did look it over), the wedges into the handle at the top of the head were secure, all the previous hits felt rock solid (through the handle)... what happened is, the hickory sheared in two halfway inside the sledge's head. No cracks along the grain, completely across the grain... halfway inside the sledge ! Thankfully, when the sledge came off, it's travel was downward, and impacted near where I was going to strike... but in mid-swing. It could've been ugly. Odd, that I never felt anything through the handle with any of the previous strikes. The remaining section that stayed with the head... is still securely affixed, wedge still tight. I've never seen a handle do that. No buggered spots along the handle, consistent with a missed strike either. I've seen them break once OUTSIDE the head, never halfway inside it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You are working too hard, still in ALaska too?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've never seen that either. I had a head come off a splitting maul during a full swing, but it was from a bad previous hit that dented the handle just below the head. Its a bad feeling when you no longer have control of a projectile with that kind of destructive power.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Maybe it was your ex wife. Check your brake lines before leaving tomorrow.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank... post #11 in this thread.

Chopper... That's why it's so weird, nothing "typical" previously with this tool.

Dan... naw, not her style, she's a cheater, not vindictive. I spoiled her too much. Besides, haven't seen her in about 25 yrs. Last I heard, she's on hubby #4. LOL.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes, that's one of those, Oh crap, I hope this ends well moments. Hope the back is better soon.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes, that's one of those, Oh crap, I hope this ends well moments. Hope the back is better soon.
LOL... 'Zackly... I KNEW the separation happened immediately... and, yes, waited for the hammer to fall. It missed us both, didn't fling off to damage the building, a parked car... MAJOR sigh of relief when it went THUD right near where I was striking.

I think it's all good, nothing but a little stiffness. I think my attention to form saved my butt. Thanks though.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Damn missed that, very sorry RD! Damn market and oil prices!

100lbs is a lot of weight to loose, Congrats, you have to feel better!

Last edited:

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang man you are awesome. What you did is great 100# is a big deal. Getting old my 84 year old Dad says getting older is not for sissies I turned 62 2 weeks ago. Old car wreck kicking my back. Bone on bone in lumbar not fun. I need to lose some weight and I bet I would feel a little better 50# for we me would work GREAT. So what did you do to change your life. 100# is life changing event?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Damn missed that, very sorry RD! Damn market and oil prices!

100lbs is a lot of weight to loose, Congrats, you have to feel better!

Dang man you are awesome. What you did is great 100# is a big deal. Getting old my 84 year old Dad says getting older is not for sissies I turned 62 2 weeks ago. Old car wreck kicking my back. Bone on bone in lumbar not fun. I need to lose some weight and I bet I would feel a little better 50# for we me would work GREAT. So what did you do to change your life. 100# is life changing event?
Thanks guys, I'm feeling a LOT better.

A couple of things come to mind Rob. First, I've been taking (daily) a multivitamin for 50+, and krill oil supplement. I also started using a Nutri-Ninja blender to juice. My trips to the grocery store is more things on the perimeter (produce, dairy, meats) and less things from the middle of the store (processed/boxed/canned foods). I use butter (no margarine), whole milk, olive oil for the fats. I try to sweeten with more honey (raw), not as much processed (table) sugar. I drink a lot more water (rarely a soda). I also started to drink a quart a day of water and a tablespoon of raw cider vinegar (Braggs). That has all helped to kick start my metabolism. Once the weight started coming off, I made it a point to get up and do more things (pretty rough going at first with all that extra weight on). The more I do, the more it's working to help.

I don't deny myself the treats when I want them. If I want a slice of pie and ice cream, I have it. If I want one (or two), I have a cold beer, or a glass of wine, or a drink. The "treats" are a little here/there. I'm learning to like beans, and am eating more of things like chili, navy bean soup, lentil soup... but I make it from scratch, not from a can. I'm using more fresh garlic, onions, mushrooms...

Sometimes, dinner is a whole head of cauliflower (steamed, with a little butter, salt/pepper), or a head of broccoli (same), or a half of a spaghetti squash... or, it might be smoked/grilled meat and potatoes, or a big salad. I mix it up.

Too much of the boxed, canned, processed foods are loaded down with sugar. A can of soda is what (?) 10-12 Tablespoons of sugar? I try to choose when I have added sugar (dessert) in my food intake. I eat bread, potatoes, rice, pancakes, pasta... I use 1/2-n-1/2 in my coffee... I eat cheese... I just try to eat less of the quick/easy stuff found in the middle of the store. I rarely eat in restaurants. Going out is a treat for me.

Overall, no health issues. My last blood work was good. Other than my good cholesterol being just a hair low, it was all good. Fasting blood sugar was 92. My blood pressure is at the higher end of normal, but still in the normal range (probably even better now). Trying to keep it that way. I don't look to a doctor's Rx on a regular basis for things.

My system went out of whack when I turned 50, and as a result, I ballooned up. I figured it had to be diet related, and that's what I've tried to adjust. But, trying to do it more old school, like what our grandparents ate, not the new "diet" stuff. So far... it's working.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well you are the man! So cool you have done this. I want to be you and do,the same. I like to eat fresh just need to,eat less half a steak to half a fresh sandwich. Wish me luck.

PS: wish you best of luck on new job search. Oil,has become a Geo Political tool against the Russian and the Iranians and frankly America. It is about market share as well.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Took a while, digging through this/that... but when things made sense, filed it away into the "plan of attack" bin. Good luck with your own journey.

Thanks for the well wishes, gone be needing it.

Drift

LSB Member
I commend Ratdog68 on the weight loss. Just about everyone knows what to do to loose weight and get in shape. The hard part is the doing of it. Life just seems to get in the way. When I met my wife I was vegetarian , made my own tofu and was running 60 miles a week. But she wasn't so I caved. That was what ? 55 pounds ago?
25 years later I dont regret the time I spent with my family eating fun and fast food, nor do I regret the millions of hours watching TV from the couch... But getting old sucks. When I turned 55 I started to notice the difference. We do martial arts, and right around my 55th birthday, I noticed that broken bones were taking longer to heal and the 18y/o black belts were really kicking my butt more often then they used to. Getting old is essence of suckage.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I commend Ratdog68 on the weight loss. Just about everyone knows what to do to loose weight and get in shape. The hard part is the doing of it. Life just seems to get in the way. When I met my wife I was vegetarian , made my own tofu and was running 60 miles a week. But she wasn't so I caved. That was what ? 55 pounds ago?
25 years later I dont regret the time I spent with my family eating fun and fast food, nor do I regret the millions of hours watching TV from the couch... But getting old sucks. When I turned 55 I started to notice the difference. We do martial arts, and right around my 55th birthday, I noticed that broken bones were taking longer to heal and the 18y/o black belts were really kicking my butt more often then they used to. Getting old is essence of suckage.
Well,you are right on a lot of levels. No one can take our life experience away from us We deal with lots of stuff that the younger crowd has to,learn so lots of mind things we get and they do not. That is my take. Now,to,be 20 and know what we know would be amazing sadly life does not work that way.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL... yep, recovery definitely takes longer than it used to after an injury. These days, feeling better after a couple of aspirin and a good night's sleep is cause for celebration, and all manner of garbage for the belly.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heck I thought I would be dead by now or I would have taken better care of myself!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Histo, did you buy that property and move in?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hope things go well for you Ratdog. I have been finishing a basement myself (1600sq/ft) and can hardly move each morning or evening. Getting old is not for sissy's.
Hey! Look what the cat dragged in ! Good to hear from you my friend. I see great minds (basement trolls) think alike.