Five yotes in five minutes

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
FOUL LANGUAGE ALERT: Sorry, did my best to edit. A couple slipped through.

Ok, so it took a little longer than five minutes to shoot five coyotes last night, but this is almost as incredible as shooting nine hogs out of one group the other night.....

Same cut corn field that I got the hogs in last Friday night: SUS VENATOR CLUB: the hard way in | Lone Star Boars

My regular hunting buddy was able to join me on an outing for hogs in the corn field. Just a few minutes after getting set up, we see a large lone boar about 300 yards away. Neither one of us were totally squared away when we set out to intercept the hog.

My buddy has a PVS-14 but we've never used it to spot and navigate with. I fact, I don't even think he's tured it on since he got his thermal clip on last year. It sure would have come in handy because this hog was on a collision coarse with us and we just didn't know it.

What we thought was half/way through the stalk to where we last saw the hog was interupted when the boar smelled or heard (or both) us from about 20 yards away. We heard something take off running away from our position and by the time we could our guns up to look the hog was now about 75 yards away from us running at a good clip.

But he found a change in the landscape and stopped just behind a bend in the grass line that separated a small tall grass field from the main corn field. Too bad for him he was not hidden at all from us and my buddy let him have it with his DPMS Gen2 - 308 (I'm jealous of how light and handy that rifle feels compared to my regular DPMS 308)

A short while later we spot something way down, all the way across the field. It's too far to positively ID
3/10 or so of a mile away, and whatever it is too far to know for sure, but based on Friday we're expecting it to be more hogs.

But between the unidentified black objects and us, we see a coyote. A coyote that is eating something. My buddy and I agree not to shoot because doing so will send a bullet and the suppressed gun shot in the direction of the hogs that we're approaching.

Ok, no problem. But if by some miracle we get past that coyote and I no longer have to point in the general direction of the hogs to shoot the coyote, I'm going to shoot. 200 steps later, I place my rifle on the tripod and have a look, while my buddy checks on the hogs. Sure enough that coyote is still there and is still preoccupied with his dinner.

Evidently we didn't both agree on the next action taken and there's some back and forth and disagreement over the consequences of shooting something else 600-700 yards away from what we're trying to stalk closer to. In my mind since we're walking into a stiff east wind, I didn't see the problem.....

Take a notice of the time stamp between the first four shots. Totally unbelievable????!!!!!

Also, I did my best to edit out excitable foul language, but I couldn't get it all since I'm very new to playing with video online.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
some good dog control, boy ya'll have a bunch there!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That was awesome! Great shooting there.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Last coyote was 170 steps away. And the "UBO's" we were stalking turned out to be deer. We only saw that one hog and about million deer.

image_zpsnn238wcq.jpg
image_zpsbmyy1o3q.jpg
image_zpshoonpwgb.jpg

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Taking advantage of the mentally deficient like that. LOL Purged you some DUMB dogs.

Fine hog too.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang,,, nice hog, and the yoteee you are holding looks like it was eating very well!!! Good goin!!! BANG BANG!!!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
great write up
nicely done

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome! Pork and pork filled pups.

Galveston340

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
....dang, that's a healthy yote! Good shooting there as well!

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very productive night of shooting.. Big hog - Aaaannd getting the yotes under control like that is awesome.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice write up. That last pup wasn't having any of the call after the first two stops. Good shooting.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Here are some more coyotes have downed in the last few days. In fact the second video clip a card and during the day at about 7 PM.

The thermal yielded this coyote that I might not have otherwise seen. I was using my E-caller and just happen to be looking into the woods and caught a glimpse of a dark shadow for one split second. The coyote then crossed the food plot and would have been completely out of sight and 8 to 10 seconds had I not been looking for him.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Your rabbit and mouse population should be headed up shortly!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Your rabbit and mouse population should be headed up shortly!
That's kind of funny. I realized last night where the phrase "having a field day" came from.

Went to a new property and discovered the corn was just cut yesterday. I'll bet I saw 1000 mice in that field. They were having quite a field day!! And so was that last coyote until he crossed my path.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some good shooting, your fawns should be safer!

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
All this time I didn't think I liked your reticles, then I finally realized it's the way your DVR is recording the horizontal line. I figured it out when you where changing zoom.

OH, BTW great video and shooting.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yes, I'm just using the first reticle which resembles the German number 1.

I haven't figured out why, but sometimes the full reticle is displayed regardless of the zoom setting and sometimes it's not??

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes, I'm just using the first reticle which resembles the German number 1.

I haven't figured out why, but sometimes the full reticle is displayed regardless of the zoom setting and sometimes it's not??
It's due to the DVR.