Feral Hog Poison

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Of course someone is making money. That is way our society works. Both sides stand to make money if their position is met. Not allowing this poison to go forward means money for all the professional hunters, money for the sporting goods manufacturers, money and gear to sponsored hunters, hunting ranches, etc. It could very well be argued that the drive to fight warfarin is also money based. So casting this dispersion is rather reflective and not effective.

So when you follow the money trail, you have to understand where it will lead and that it does not always lead where you think it should.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian, yeah but in politics I am talking under the table or crooked deal money, don't be naive that this does not happen...but then you knew what I was talking about!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Of course someone is making money. That is way our society works. Both sides stand to make money if their position is met. Not allowing this poison to go forward means money for all the professional hunters, money for the sporting goods manufacturers, money and gear to sponsored hunters, hunting ranches, etc. It could very well be argued that the drive to fight warfarin is also money based. So casting this dispersion is rather reflective and not effective.

So when you follow the money trail, you have to understand where it will lead and that it does not always lead where you think it should.
Yea it's all about money. But there is a difference between legal and illegal. TherE are many shady things about this deal.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Right, so unless there are some actual facts to work with, it might as well be argued that the hunting industry has been doing the same thing for years to stop this from ever happening until they finally ran into Miller who is with the other side. So if it wasn't for the "under-the-table money" from our side, then we would not have been going this long without poisoning becoming legal, huh? Follow the money, right? Same logic, equally unjustified.

So casting dispersions about what is going on as being illegal is a very reflective slippery slope and is not constructive...unless you have some actual facts about this case. If not, then it is pointless to make such claims and is not helpful to our cause.

Just because we don't like a decision that has been reached does not mean that it is illegal.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
sid is a politician and is corrupt by definition, how much is the only question...why else would you poison the environment?

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Don't these people realize how far a hog can travel in four days. I would be pissed if I found a bunch of dead ones on my property due to a bait site over a mile away. My dogs love to chew on dead animals. Is this going to kill them. I see the need for a lawsuit here.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I don't see how they can even go by the rules unless it's a high fenced ranch. If they have to bury or burn the dead ones how are they going to find them if they get off of property. There is way to much civil liability to even try this stuff.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't these people realize how far a hog can travel in four days. I would be pissed if I found a bunch of dead ones on my property due to a bait site over a mile away. My dogs love to chew on dead animals. Is this going to kill them. I see the need for a lawsuit here.
RG....there will be lawsuits, justified or unjustified. People who lose a cow or horse or dog to something even unrelated will start blaming this bait and start lawsuits not to mention any justified claims. I was just out setting traps and to be honest just the thought of this stuff being used somewhere near me makes me extra cautious and it isn't being used yet.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Issue is damage to farmers and ranchers and a solution to the hog population causing it. The hog hunting community has had years to deal with it and problem still exists. As long as a problem exists solutions will be sought. That I know of none of the farmers I know will be spending a penny on this as they do not have a hog problem. For those that have a hog problem, seems like the hog hunting community that opposes the use of the poison has not stepped up and solved the problem or has skin in the game so to speak, but is willing to step up to stop it's implementation. When a farmer has a large group of hogs 100's of them, that needs several shooters to shoot the entire group I have never seen any posts looking for shooters to help out or get together to help a farmer/rancher that has 1000's of hogs causing 1000's and 1000's of $$$$$ in damage . Other then a couple of shooters which has not solved the problem keeping after it over and over educating the hogs. Now shooting the hogs looks like it may come to an end if the poison works out. Each side has what is to their benefit in mind. If the poison does not pan out, another solution will be sought. Heli shooting by day will force the hogs to night activity, thermal will make shooting them at night no problem, trapping gets some and dogs will run them out. Solutions exists they just have not been coordinated to produce results for all with hog problems, the right tool for the job needs to be used. Problem seems to be who gets the $$$$ vs helping out the guy with a problem. I like shooting hogs and the meat, but I do not like anyone losing $$$$ that feeds their family. Time will tell and the big $$$$ will win short term, but results will dictate the outcome which has not been decided yet. I have no skin in the game so I hope it works out well for all involved. I will still help out farmers and ranchers when needed. If given a choice between free hog eradication and removal vs paying for poison and dealing with the carcasses again the $$$$ will dictate. I don't know a businessman that is willing to pay for something that they can get for free, unless what they are getting is not working.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hardwired, you make a good point about ranchers not reaching out to hunters to eliminate the hog issue. This poison will make the hog population worse and I will tell you why. All but the most die hard hunters will just quit hog hunting in these areas as well as ranchers not allowing hunting who have this poison on their ranches. Hogs will learn that this poison is bad. Any infected hog will smell like this stuff to another hog and they will avoid this poison like the plague after some time. Well, those areas will already have less hunters than before and now more hogs due to the lack of pressure. Even after the stuff is no longer used it will take time for hunters to feel comfortable shooting hogs in these areas again. Population will increase.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hard-ware.As I see it the farmers are their own worst enemy by complaining about all the damage but not allowing pros(not hunters) on their land to solve the problem. I have little sympathy for people not helping themselves. The money and time it will take to do the poison properly will cost them quite a bit, I see the disposal not being done properly, the feeders not maintained or enough of them and the search for dead or dying animals not done in a timely manner...Just a mess if you ask me. I cannot see any livestock folks using this, too dangerous.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
I would like to see the Agri Life web site host a page for farmers and ranchers to post if they need help and any requirements that need to be met to get access. This would at least offer an alternative to using poison plus not have any cost out of pocket to them. Feedback could be left on how many hogs shot and if rules were followed so those causing problems would be eliminated and those that worked out well to keep helping. As well as passing along information about what is working and what is not for next group of shooters. It would be nice to be able to get together and shoot a few hundred hogs over the weekend, hell of a BBQ that I can tell you.
No cost to farmer or rancher and they get free BBQ to boot :D
Table would be turned as they would be the ones doing the eating :p

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Right, so unless there are some actual facts to work with, it might as well be argued that the hunting industry has been doing the same thing for years to stop this from ever happening until they finally ran into Miller who is with the other side. So if it wasn't for the "under-the-table money" from our side, then we would not have been going this long without poisoning becoming legal, huh? Follow the money, right? Same logic, equally unjustified.

So casting dispersions about what is going on as being illegal is a very reflective slippery slope and is not constructive...unless you have some actual facts about this case. If not, then it is pointless to make such claims and is not helpful to our cause.

Just because we don't like a decision that has been reached does not mean that it is illegal.

Look I've worked for the government for almost 25 years now, nothing works this fast. And you trying to tie the hunting industry into all this is nothing more than a strawman argument.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
that should cost you at least three banners. actually four since you started all this by shooting your neighbors pet pig that you tried to pass off as wearing a gps collar
LMFAO