Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's some cool flying there

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is true and while this type of flying won't heap stalk pigs, you can get creative about where you fly to avoid those busy bodies....

You need to have a course and have drone races!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Otay... I'll make a motion. Oso Grande needs to do a thread with the list of things needed, where to shop for, how much you can expect to spend, the pitfalls to avoid (usually part of that buy once/cry once saga).... essentials.

Will someone second the motion?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just want one that is unbreakable, not confident of my learning curve.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So what is OSO Grande? Oso is either bear or mudslide, either way you may need that roll of T.P.?!

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So what is OSO Grande? Oso is either bear or mudslide, either way you may need that roll of T.P.?!
Big Bear, I picked up Oso Grande as a nickname on a vacation to Cabo San Lucas a few years back. The memory of the trip is a little fuzzy, but the name has stuck over the years. I'm 6'4" and 290 so it's not an inaccurate description.

If you want something to get you off the ground and hold up well when you return to the ground often and hard, start with one of the roughly 220mm quads from that build list. If you're willing to spend $1000-1500, I can walk you through a pretty great setup.

They're pretty damn durable:

I broke two arms and a bunch of nylon screws in all those crashes. Other than the arms, it was nothing I couldn't fix on the spot and get back in the air with in a few minutes. Of course that doesn't count props, those I go through like we go through bullets. Just part of the cost of getting in the air, buy in bulk.....

The learning curve isn't too bad, but like anything that requires hand eye coordination, it takes practice.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm happy to help, but there are entire forums based on what you're describing be done in a thread.......

http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-electric-multirotors-790/

Here's a good break down on some options for the smaller quads that we do the racing with.
http://blog.oscarliang.net/250-mini-quad-part-list-fpv/
Good links, especially Oscar's. But, ya need to help us old farts out some. I wouldn't know an FPV from an IUD, or an IED. But, I am teachable. We need your perspective on the very basics though.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good links, especially Oscar's. But, ya need to help us old farts out some. I wouldn't know an FPV from an IUD, or an IED. But, I am teachable. We need your perspective on the very basics though.
RD, at your age don't worry about IUD'S , not really an issue. haha

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
RD, at your age don't worry about IUD'S , not really an issue. haha
My grandfather was 66 when he fathered his last of 11. This kid has managed 55 yrs. without one... I'm not betting against "needing one" for at LEAST another 11 years. LOL I do NOT intend to start NOW. LOL

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No problem. I'll give you a rough diagram as to how these things layout and wire up.

The way these things fly is they have fixed pitch propellors attached to motors that speed up and slow down as needed to keep the craft level. They spin at roughly 30,000 rpm so you'll want to watch your fingers, they bite!

The frame is just a fancy way of holding all 4 motors at a fixed position from each other and keep it all together when you crash.

The motors are mounted to the four corners of the frame and each motor is attached to an ESC (electronic speed controller). The ESC's work as a switch to send the battery power to the motor. The ESC gets its control signal from the Flight Controller which acts as the brain to the whole system. It was gyro's, accelerometers, barometers and the like built into the FC (flight controller). As the FC notices that the quad is tilting to one side more than it should, it sends signals to the ESC's to speed up the motors on the low side and slow down the motors on the high side until the craft levels out.

The Flight Controller gets its instructions that you're sending from your hand held radio from the Receiver attached to the FC. The controls you have are Roll (left right tilt)/Pitch (forward back tilt)/Yaw (rotation CW/CCW)/Throttle (increase decrease thrust).

The video system is comprised of a camera, video transmitter, OSD (on screen display), and transmitting antenna. On the ground you have a video receiver with antenna, and either a pair of goggles or a display screen. You also have a control transmitter that talks with the control receiver that is passing the instructions to the Flight Controller on the quad.

wiring%20diagram%204.png

Hopefully that helps break down the components for you guys a bit. I'm sure it looks like a big ball of wires to many of you. It sure did you me until I understood it.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Otay, my digging has me learning some of that (also, that FPV is First Person Video). These little 250s (250mm diagonal measurement/motor-motor) are built for speed and compactness... and, fly for 5-8 mins. per charge on the batteries. I like the idea of the carbon fiber frame/arms for strength, and nylon screws/nuts used as shear points during a crash (saving the integrity of the frame/arms). The numbers for the rotors (ie. 5/3) are 5" with a 3 degree pitch. For more lift/power a 6" or more pitch (4.5)... but then, the need for more battery strength... which adds more weight... it becomes a tuning thing.

Angled mounts (struts?) for the motors allow more forward momentum without needing to pitch the craft forward...

If a guy's not looking for a Corvette, but a diesel pick-up... what should he be looking at for dimensions/associated hardware?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well knowing I am not gonna build one what is the affordable price for a ready to go one that has FPV and can record? Then will it be too complicated for a first timer to fly and use? I think I need a guy that has one to come out and do it for me.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am going to order one on line for under 100.00 and play with it. If I don't get the hang of it or don't really like it much I can give it to the neighbor and move on to something else. If I decide it is something I want to do more I will buy a better one for a GoPro when I have the control issues down pretty good. That's my thoughts on it for now.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's kind of a hobby where you either spend <$100 or you spend >$1000 pretty quick. I'd highly recommend that ladybird micro quad for anyone wanting to try to get the hang of the controls.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good idea Dan, me too

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Mike, great advice and help