Drones, not just for .gov surveillance anymore

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is a spin off thread from a discussion :
http://www.lonestarboars.com/threads/hornady-100gr-gmx.2837/page-3#post-36329

For those of you who made it out to the get together RGilbert held out at his place in the La Grange area, you guys already got a taste of one of my other obsessive hobbies. I build and fly multirotor aircraft that I pilot using FPV (first person video) equipment. Basically I build aircraft that have multiple props and I fly them using equipment similar to a wireless security camera setup. This allows me to fly it as if I'm actually in the aircraft.

These kinds of aircraft come in any number of sizes and lots of options of payloads. I personally have ones that are as small as 6 inches across and weigh about 45 grams to larger ones that are 4 feet across and use 17 in propellers. Just like we have different rifles and pistols for different tasks, the same idea applies here.

Here's an example of a new frame design that a couple friends and I created. It has built in voltage regulation as well as integrated OSD (on screen display) of not only battery voltage, but control signal strength, GPS coordinates, altitude, ground speed, etc.
a7431458-154-20150103_104501.jpg

It has the capability of reaching speeds of 80+mph, several miles range and several thousand feet in elevation. However just like you could should use your local park as a place to sight your rifle in or speed through the nearest school zone in your sports cars, discretion and common sense are key to using these things.

As RGilbet, BigRedDog and a few others have discussed, these aircraft have some serious potential for helping us locate and deal with hogs.

I'm happy to help fill you guys in on some of the fun I've been having with these things and give some realistic answers to questions you might have about the REAL capabilities of these craft and dispel some of the myth and hype put out by the media. Just like every rifle with a detachable magazine must be an evil baby killing rifle, every "drone" must be spying on our neighbors.

TLDR: I build rc quadcopters that I fly like I'm riding in it. They can be a useful tool in scouting areas.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I want one now! lol
I have never played video games and I like high tech stuff...but am not a tech savvy person. What is the learning curve for newbies with a high end unit.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I thought I remember that in the meeting thread! Say, can you ship on to me, let me take it to the lease and you fly and record remotely? Would that use Cell technology? I am thinking there is a business for that!

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I want one now! lol
I have never played video games and I like high tech stuff...but am not a tech savvy person. What is the learning curve for newbies with a high end unit.

That really depends on how comfortable you are with a soldering iron. There are units out there that you can order, charge and fly virtually immediately, but with anything that flies, it WILL crash eventually. If you build it yourself (which isn't to complicated) you'll know how to fix it when it breaks.

This is a good trainer:
http://www.amazon.com/Walkera-Ladyb...=UTF8&qid=1426461247&sr=8-3&keywords=ladybird

It's controlled the same way as the larger ones, but you won't cry the first time it bounces off the wall or ceiling. Nor will it cause you to bleed like the larger ones can....

This video will give you a better idea of what goes into building them.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I thought I remember that in the meeting thread! Say, can you ship on to me, let me take it to the lease and you fly and record remotely? Would that use Cell technology? I am thinking there is a business for that!
That isn't possible with current technology. Lag in video and/or control signal is way too great to be able to do this even with LTE/4G or high speed internet connections.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Darn! LOL Thanks

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just read where they have written laws against making money flying them? I did not see the terminology but they are already regulating them. They will be outlawed for scouting game in most states that is for sure. I want to use them before that to learn what I can.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just read where they have written laws against making money flying them? I did not see the terminology but they are already regulating them. They will be outlawed for scouting game in most states that is for sure. I want to use them before that to learn what I can.

There is a lot of confusion with regard to the laws that pertain to them. The FAA has said it is not illegal to use them "commercially" and they've been defining commercially as anything that has money tied to it. However there are NO laws currently on the books that makes that illegal. Congress told the FAA about 3 years ago to work "drones" into the national airspace with new regulations. However the FAA has been dragging their feet for years now and instead of coming up with and proposing regulation they have just made blanket decrees and attempted to levy fines that have been tossed out of every court they've been looked at in. I am not a lawyer, but I've been following this stuff for a while now so take the advice for what it's worth.

Texas passed a law last session dealing with privacy in regards to "drone" use but everyone whose I've discussed it with in detail, including a number of lawyers, agree it would be a hard thing to prosecute and would require some pretty blatant violating of other privacy laws that have been around forever.

There are already laws on the books about using aircraft for game animals, but since we're not really hunting game animals here I'm betting we'll fall either on the side of being ok or being in a gray area. I'm curious to the thoughts of those who know these game laws better than I do.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I always wanted one for my gopro but the more I look at them the more I see the far better options. I need to get one to try out

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Those things are cool. Oso is not allowed to come hunt unless he brings them. I supply the hunt and he supplies the better entertainment. LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In states like Montana( I assume others) it is illegal to use a game camera during any open hunting season. They will never allow drones and will pass laws calling it animal harassment and anything else they can think of. Forgive my bluntness but they have been putting women in charge of many of these wildlife positions and many things have changed that are based upon emotion and a liberal agenda. Their is little fight from the public, we are usually busy with so many other battles at the same time.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just want it for scouting, finding trails and clearings that you cannot see, not sure FL has caught up w drones for hunting but that is not what I want it for anyway.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you use it for "land management" what difference will it make

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah I am not gonna tie a gun to it and shoot things

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Leave that to the Russian

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would like to use them to scout out an area and see what's out there just because of curiosity. See what kind of areas they are bedded in and learn more about them, there is just something about being able to get above the area to see like that, that is intriguing.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would like to use them to scout out an area and see what's out there just because of curiosity. See what kind of areas they are bedded in and learn more about them, there is just something about being able to get above the area to see like that, that is intriguing.
i've got an off the shelf quad copter with FPV that carries my go-pro that i'm wanting to use for that type of thing as well. My problem is finding a day when the wind isn't blowing 20+ mph. I'll give it a try asap and post the video.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now that I have a GoPro... I keep thinking how nice it'd be to have one of these. Urban settings... too many busy bodies though.