dj shatters world record!!

D

djones

omg!! what is this? a second zeus? in one night??? sus emperor!!

didn’t see anything in the field so i gave the old coyote call a whirl with the bay bee cottontail cry. battery pack was losing power so i pulled it off to run on internal batteries. they were drained too and lost power pretty quick, so i switched to the pvs14 with ir light. it lights up their eyes up pretty good and if i spotted one then i’d switch back to the thermal for the shot.

pig6_zpsykpk8qp6.jpg

i could see something black headed my way, but the eyes didn’t shine like they’re supposed to. i looked through the thermal and… holy crap. a giant hog was coming to the rabbit cry. i was expecting to take a shot much farther out and had to adjust the focus. then i fumbled around trying to turn down the volume so the cry wouldn’t sound unnatural. oh yea, the zoom was on too which makes the distance misleading, so i adjusted that. then the battery status indicator turned yellow. i’m sure i had plenty of time, but it added a sense of urgency to the effort. rather than let him get any closer or stop, i just took him on the hoof.

pig5_zpsmloden9z.jpg

i don’t usually weigh or measure hogs, but i was curious about this one. i put a string around his chest and cinched it up pretty tight. tied a knot in it as best i could with my finger unhinged. got home and it taped out at 51”. i don’t remember the formula but i found something online that estimated him to be 310lbs. not bad for a starvin pilgram.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yup that is a Dandy hog right there. And a GOOD ON YA for that one!!! BANG BANG!!

D

djones

so… i shot 73 hogs saturday night. i have been informed that’s an unofficial world record. unfortunately, i only have pics for 3. i’m sure there will be those who say… ‘no pic, no pig’ and that’s ok. i don’t really want all the attention this is bringing anyway. i mean who needs it… reporters camped out in my yard, phone rings off the hook, and the women… sheesh!

pig4_zpssfflkhml.jpg

i think i’ll give up hog hunting for a while and try my luck at coyotes. it wouldn’t be fair to just start shooting them, so i’ve decided to educate them first. these two should be a little more sporting the next time around. had a jam on the 3rd or 4th round. stovepipe this time. not sure if i got the other jam fixed or not since this one is different. i’ll get there.

but i don’t want to give the impression that i’m complaining all the time, so i’ll say something positive for a change. i think i already indicated my battery pack was utter crap, or maybe it was my video cable. anyway alba quirky dave has fixed them both and made them custom length. pretty impressed with the quality. now i can run my battery pack with ITS OWN cable running right to the dvr at the same time, without all the plug conversion crap.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice a big hog w nice cutters up close and personal. Stop sticking your finger in their mouths!

You sure are a jamomatic! almost got him!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
"Old 1 Shot" ....that's what they call you now huh?
Congrats on a bruiser!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Needs a nice bolt gun, maybe in 300WTF

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great hogs!! Don't like when the dogs get ejumicated though.

cletus

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
now that's a biggun unless u pulled some more trickery on the computer.lol

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
DJ I'm surprised you don't have you're own website.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
DJ waitin on the animals to come out!
deer crossing.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
DJ waitin on the animals to come out!
View attachment 3778
LOL... I like the YouTube of the woman ranting about the NEED to CHANGE where those deer crossing signs are posted. ("The deer need to cross in a better place... in her opinion")

D

djones

now that's a biggun unless u pulled some more trickery on the computer.lol
why whatever do you mean?

takko,
i had a site for a long time. after a while it just seemed to be a 'hey look at me' site. i was killing hogs regularly enough that it started requiring more upkeep than i wanted to put in.

da man,
you wouldn't believe how much work it was to move those burisers around, especially since one of my boob grabbers still isn't 100% functional. both hogs took finishing shots, but the black one was doing the curly shuffle so bad i put a 45 in his ear and then another in his eye. i let him calm down and got my stuff ready for a pic, then grabbed his back legs to arrange him and they started thrashing again. there's no way i was going near the business end of him if the back end was still moving, so i got the rifle and capped a couple more into his noggin. that got him under control. temps were in the low 60s just before sunup, a welcome relief, but yea, getting him positioned was a chore.

dman62

LSB Member
why whatever do you mean?

takko,
i had a site for a long time. after a while it just seemed to be a 'hey look at me' site. i was killing hogs regularly enough that it started requiring more upkeep than i wanted to put in.

da man,
you wouldn't believe how much work it was to move those burisers around, especially since one of my boob grabbers still isn't 100% functional. both hogs took finishing shots, but the black one was doing the curly shuffle so bad i put a 45 in his ear and then another in his eye. i let him calm down and got my stuff ready for a pic, then grabbed his back legs to arrange him and they started thrashing again. there's no way i was going near the business end of him if the back end was still moving, so i got the rifle and capped a couple more into his noggin. that got him under control. temps were in the low 60s just before sunup, a welcome relief, but yea, getting him positioned was a chore.
Reminds me of a buddy of mine out elk hunting with his muzzleloader. Shot a big cow. She was still mobile so he chased her down and put a few more shots in her. She was down in a creek and he was out of charges. No problem, I'll just clock her between the eyes with my hatchet says he. He gets down in the creek and straddles her and is about to deliver the coup de gras and she hauls off and kicks him so hard in the family jewels he's thrown 15 feet back up on the creek bank. As he hovered between what he thought was life and death the cow finally succommed to her wounds. The important take away is to stay away from hoof, horn, and teeth until you're sure they're dead, then shoot them again.