AR Pistol

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sleepless night has me researching AR Pistol since 3am. So much so Google Chronies and ATF probably are tracking me.

Anyway, any of you guys play with these? I'm pretty addicted to the 300 AAC. How do they do accuracy wise 30-50 yards? I've got a 9mm carbine. It's fun in all but looking a different route.

Gimme your thoughts on likes/no likes about them!

Thanks in advance.

May even have y'all help me build.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A 300WTF pistol? why not. Close up squirrel shooter. lol Seriously though, at 30-50 yards is a short throw if you keep the weight down (that is if you have a strong throwing arm). So if you miss your target with the bullet ..there's always the gun for backup..lol
Sorry, In reality It could be a lot of fun. It seems the faster powders used in that round would not need much barrel length to achieve max velocity, might work out nicely.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mine is a 6.8, I have it sighted in at 50 and is good to go from there to 125 without more than a .4 change..I love it, carry all the time.

PICT0499.JPG

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
a buttstock makes it a SBR

Specs:
Lower Receiver

Stripped Lower PSA Stripped Lower
Stock
Pistol Grip Ergo Ergo
Trigger Guard Magpul MAGPUL ALUM ENHANCED TRIGGER GRD
Lower Parts Kit CMMG CMMG LOWER PARTS KIT
Buffer Tube Phase 5 Tactica Pistol Buffer Tube
Buffer Spikes Spikes STT2
Buffer Spring DPMS DPMS
Buffer end cap Butt Head

Manufacturer Description
Upper Receiver

Stripped Upper JD Tool Complete Upper
Barrel Bison Armory 8.5" 6.8 Biison Pisol Barrel
Bolt *** *** 6.8 Super Bolt
Bolt Carrier BOLT CARRIER
Gas Block Midwest Ind. MIDWEST LOW PROFILE GAS BLOCK .750
Forearm Midwest Ind. MIDWEST SS-SERIES 10" RAIL BLK
Charging Handle BCM BCM CHARGING HNDL MOD4 BK
Upper Parts Kit
Gas Tube Bison Armory Pistol length gas tube
**Muzzle Device**

Noveske

Noveske Flaming Pig

Bison Armory 4140 Chromoly 8.5" 6.8 SPC Barrel with Pistol Length Gas
  • Unifinished barrels require phosphate or other finish before assembly as chromoly barrels will corrode
  • Black Cerakote finish available
  • Spec-II chamber
  • 4-groove 1:11" twist rifling
  • 5/8-24 muzzle thread
  • Pistol length gas system
  • Barrel extension includes M4 feed ramps
  • Bore is not chrome lined

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes Sir, they don't make them any more, the new ones are a bit larger. Called the hammer head

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's so cool, my lynx pelt keeps trying to steal it.
IMG_0134.jpg

BisonChipAPC001_zps371969f1.jpg

1. No "Mother May I" to own one
2. No wait process for the "Mother May I"
3. No $200 to "Mother" to bribe for permission to own one.
4. No "Mother May I" to take one with me if I choose to go somewhere across the State line.
5. 6.8 Shines in a short barrel anyhow.
6. Still light enough recoil that it matters NOT that a buffer tube is into my shoulder.
7. Fits in the saddle bag of my bike
8. Fits in my back pack (with only a buffer tube sticking out) if I so choose to carry that way.

Dislikes:

1. It's not an SBR (So, the "Likes" outweigh the "Dislikes")

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Firing them seems strange do you stick the rod under your arm pit or just put the rid against your shoulder. I really don't wanna have to look for new pies bullets and mags. And have close to 1000 rounds of different .308 bullets.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Got some thoughts(only) on these AR "pistols". If a "pistol" is OBVIOUSLY configured by the owner/shooter to be placed on the shoulder during firing,is it still a pistol ?? BATFE man ----> What is this for ?? Did it come originally configured like this ?? NO...?....then how did it come to be on the weapon ?? OH...you added it ?? WHY ?? Show me how you intend to use this weapon. Like that ?? Then why did you add this ??

The INTENT of a pistol is to be used as a pistol.....right ?? Then ..........................?

For me...the "pucker factor" would be there. I surely would not post pics of a AR "pistol" that was OBVIOUSLY configured to be shot as a rifle,that was not listed as a SBR...on the internet. I have not researched this(the rules and regs)however,seems to me that just because the weapon does not have a "stock" per say, if it were configured to OBVIOUSLY be shot while placing the big,round end of a fishing rod up against your shoulder then........................? The large,round fishing rod "softner" is made/designed for what ?? To be placed up against your body so that the rod does not dig into you,right.

As stated above,I do not profess to know the laws re. this AR "pistol" vs SBR thing. I would however guess(only) that if the weapon was shown to a federal prosecuter by the BATFE this could be bad for the owner. --- pruhdlr

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You can put it on your shoulder, no problem. The law/code/rules are for the pistol not the idiot behind it. IF you put a gun part on it sold anywhere as a buttstock you have a SBR. A pad a cup a cane tip have already been called NOT a buttstock by the authorities...I doubt seriously that my fishing rod butt cushion ever sold anywhere as a buttstock. The issue is never how you actually use the weapon, you can shoulder a Glock if that is the way you want to fire it and it is OK. The law is very clear.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had a friend that was so small it looked like he was shooting his pistol from the shoulder. You could actually see his shoes on his driver's license picture.That's pretty small, so everything to him was a rifle kind of...ish.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mine is a 6.8, I have it sighted in at 50 and is good to go from there to 125 without more than a .4 change..I love it, carry all the time.

View attachment 541

Is it just me or is franks 6.8 a ringer for a storm troopers blaster?

PICT0499.JPG

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You found me out!!

Bill Winfrey

LoneStarBoars Supporter
Zen Buddy....There are some really cheap deals on some .300 You Know What pistol length barrels on the market right now, and with a 10.5" barrel, you won't be giving up much in velocity.
You could put an upper together for a really cheap amount, and take one of your lowers and convert with a pistol buffer, for even less...a ready made pistola you'd have built even before your barrel would arrive!
If you decide to go that route, let me know if you need help sourcing parts, or with any assembly issues...
I'm looking at doing one myself in .300, and some of the rounds I've got loaded would work better in a shorter barrel anyhoo!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Be careful converting a rifle lower into a pistol lower. Don't quote me, but I think you can go rifle to pistol, but you can't convert the lower back to a rifle once it is in pistol form.

I'm going off what I have read about Thompson Center Contender pistols/rifles. I would do some research about it before I spent my money.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Two more "thoughts" and I will leave this alone. 1. I keep hearing the term "butt stock" mentioned. What is BATFE's definition of "butt stock" ?? 2. If a AR "pistol" is configured with a short eye relief scope(intended for rifles) could it be determined that the users/owners INTENT was to shoulder it. Rifle scopes usually have a 3.5-5 inch eye relief. Intermediate eye relief scopes(scout scopes) usually have between 9-13 inches of eye relief. Pistol scopes have a considerably longer eye relief.(18 inches +) Add the two(or possibly more)together,rifle eye relief scope,a scope that is marketed for use on rifles,where it is positioned on the pic rail(s),and the possible shoulder softener,and can a case for intent be made ??

You AR "pistol" owners out there.........show some pics of how you would typically fire your "pistol". How about how you would fire your Glock,Sig,or Colt.

Remember that INTENT means quite a bit with the law. What did you intend to do ?? How did you intend to use that AR ??

I believe that with the T/C's, the final ruleing was that you can convert back and forth without any problems. --- pruhdlr

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Didn't realize this was a controversial weapon. It just looks really fun to shoot.
Back to my main Question. "How accurate is the .300 out to 50 yds using a shorter 10-7.5" barrel!

From what I have researched
1. Dedicated pistol lower. I plan on having mine engraved as such. (It can "never" have been purchased/registeted as a regular AR lower with rifle length upper.)
2. AR Pistol Buffer Tube Assembly. Since this is required to make the gun operational it is necessary BUT it can in no way be "easily convertible" into adding a regular "butt stock." Phase5tactical makes a dedicated pistol buffer tube that has engraved marking. Its short and foamed. (As pruhdlr has pointed out the buffer tube can be "subjectible." My research says anything you do to modify the buffer tube after market such as putting on para-chord, foam, or crutch foot pad is a gray area and is highly advisable to get something in writing from ATF making it permissible for YOU. Not because you saw some other person do it.)
3. Everything else such as type of sights, fore grips, slings, etc is regulated by each state. From what I've gathered where in Texas and not California. Heh, heh, heh...

I'm not going to get into the "intent" or "how it's fired" conversation. Accept to say this looks really fun to shoot. Lookout raccoons I'm a coming.

On a side note I went to Cabelas in Allen last night and they had an AR Pistols fully decked out. The only thing it was missing (minus the fact it was a .556) was a can. Then it dawned on me, "how do I register or turn in paperwork on this rifle or any rifle I own." For example I was given a rifle last fall as a gift. The guy who gave it to me asked me to sign paperwork that I am owner and release of liability for rifle. But I never submitted paperwork to ATF. I mean I know govt knows I have them since they're under my insurance. Any answers people?

Last edited:

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Didn't realize this was a controversial weapon. It just looks really fun to shoot.
Back to my main Question. "How accurate is the .300 out to 50 yds using a shorter 10-7.5" barrel!

From what I have researched
1. Dedicated pistol lower. I plan on having mine engraved as such. (It can "never" have been purchased/registeted as a regular AR lower with rifle length upper.)
2. AR Pistol Buffer Tube Assembly. Since this is required to make the gun operational it is necessary BUT it can in no way be "easily convertible" into adding a regular "butt stock." Phase5tactical makes a dedicated pistol buffer tube that has engraved marking. Its short and foamed. (As pruhdlr has pointed out the buffer tube can be "subjectible." My research says anything you do to modify the buffer tube after market such as putting on para-chord, foam, or crutch foot pad is a gray area and is highly advisable to get something in writing from ATF making it permissible for YOU. Not because you saw some other person do it.)
3. Everything else such as type of sights, fore grips, slings, etc is regulated by each state. From what I've gathered where in Texas and not California. Heh, heh, heh...

I'm not going to get into the "intent" or "how it's fired" conversation. Accept to say this looks really fun to shoot. Lookout raccoons I'm a coming.

On a side note I went to Cabelas in Allen last night and they had an AR Pistols fully decked out. The only thing it was missing (minus the fact it was a .556) was a can. Then it dawned on me, "how do I register or turn in paperwork on this rifle or any rifle I own." For example I was given a rifle last fall as a gift. The guy who gave it to me asked me to sign paperwork that I am owner and release of liability for rifle. But I never submitted paperwork to ATF. I mean I know govt knows I have them since they're under my insurance. Any answers people?
Why would you want to let them know you bought it. As you said, you are in Texas not Kommifornia. You are not required to submit anything to ATF on a private purchase/sale in this state as of yet. To the best of my knowledge which is obviously limited in its scope or circle of influence.