Another Alpha/Lead sow taken out

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got to bring a demo Zeus and Apollo 640's home with me after the Noctober shoot to test out. This video was from the Zeus I had it mounted on one of my 6.8's that had no optics and I mounted the Apollo on the LWRC Razorback in front of the Vortex Razor 1x6.

Somehow the brass in the rifles chamber corroded I'm not sure how since I used the same cleaners as always but after the first shot which kills the sow I was stuck with out a working rifle. After the shot I had enough time to walk he 500-600 yards back to my truck grab the LWRC Six8 return and kill four more hogs.

You can also see four coyotes in the video I was calling with the foxpro and the hogs came out between myself and the yotes so I switched targets :)

Again this is another perfect example of the hogs sticking around after killing the lead sow with a suppressed rifle.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very good lesson, one of your best videos even though we all like to see more kills.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's still a very nice hunt.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heck ya. Nice going and thanks for posting. Look forward to some more. BANG BANG!!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is why I could not fire see where the head broke off. This round was only in the chamber 48 hours top. I had fire 6 times to zero the scope this was the 7th round. I have never had one do this before. This is factory Hornady 120sst ammo the primer poped when I used a cleaning Rod to knock it out was not over pressured.image.jpg

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The only time I've had that happen was when using a foaming bore cleaner and not getting it all out of the chamber.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yikes ! I think I'll stick with Frog Lube. That's some serious ugly going on there.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
With only firing one shot and sow running and dropping the others stuck around her, firing more shots at them they might not have decided to stick around her. So the cartridge stuck in the chamber made for easy shooting after the long walk. I have not recorded from the zues 3 75mm yet, but the video noise ( the lines that look like slightly tilted Venetian blinds) hope it's not from the zues. I have seen this video noise on other videos recorded from the zeus thermals. If you set the scene mode to outdoors it gives a little more contrast, and the video to pal the screen size is a bit larger as well. You just need to set your dvr to pal recording mode as well, when converting to youtube NTSC or PAL does not make a difference as it gets converted as well.

Nice video, keep them coming !

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes Hardware I did not attempt to fire again until they gathered arround her. I've learned to wait and get many more kills that way. You just have to read them if they bolt like lightning I start shooting more. If they just kind of lope along like these did I wait.

Thanks for the dvr hints I will try them I have another dvr that records without the lines but I broke the cable.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The only time I've had that happen was when using a foaming bore cleaner and not getting it all out of the chamber.
I have a can of that I use for my 22's I'm trying to remember if I sprayed it in there or not. It is possible.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What was you option of the Zeus? That round looked 50 years old after being buried in dirt.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What was you option of the Zeus? That round looked 50 years old after being buried in dirt.

Well the zeus had nothing to do with the round lol.

Of course I liked it it was a 640 resolution unit with a fast refresh rate very clear image.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
That's the only thing I can think of is bore cleaner.

Even though some of the bore cleaners say they have rust inhibitors etc, and that you can leave a coating in the barrel, I think that's BS. I dry patch all that crap out, then take some Hoppes No. 9 and run it through the bore, then dry patches, then I take a patch with oil and then a dry patch. There is super light coating of oil, because after all, oil is oil, and even after a dry patch I believe there is a very light coating, perfect for hunting.

If I store the gun, I don't dry patch after the oil. And not all oils are the same, so if your gun may be in an area of higher humidity, the whole gun needs to be wiped down and checked periodically.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I remarked to Todd that BullFrog and products w their ingredients are a nono on an *** barrel as commented on the *** website, I think, this foaming stuff he used might have had something like that in it.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Even though some of the bore cleaners say they have rust inhibitors etc, and that you can leave a coating in the barrel, I think that's BS. I dry patch all that crap out, then take some Hoppes No. 9 and run it through the bore, then dry patches, then I take a patch with oil and then a dry patch. There is super light coating of oil, because after all, oil is oil, and even after a dry patch I believe there is a very light coating, perfect for hunting.

If I store the gun, I don't dry patch after the oil. And not all oils are the same, so if your gun may be in an area of higher humidity, the whole gun needs to be wiped down and checked periodically.

1+ barrel cleaners dissolve copper, which will do the same to brass. This will happen fast, so best to clean off with oil afterwards.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I remarked to Todd that BullFrog and products w their ingredients are a nono on an *** barrel as commented on the *** website, I think, this foaming stuff he used might have had something like that in it.

Already told him on melonite barrels that gunscrubber, brakekleen, etc are no go, bullfrog (not frog lube) is also no go, but those are just discoloring melonite.

As hard_ware said, I think it is the harsher bore cleaners, copper removers. TLM was using M-Pro7, which is used by many, but I didn't like it, I use CU+2 for copper and Hoppe's No. 9 for general cleaning. But like I said, after getting done with it, I get it out and end the process with oil and another dry patch.

Last edited:

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have some KG Gun-Kote cleaner that did the exact same thing. You don't notice it until you fire the round. The heat generated causes the corrosion. Found this our when I was first testing 458 Socom loads. No I do what Dave does, except I use shooters choice.