A called hog

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ever have one of those hunts where everything goes right?

A few weeks back I gave a seminar to a group of farmers. It was feral hog appreciation day of all things. Then about a week ago a guy calls me that was at the seminar and wants me to come help him call in a hog on his land. I warned him as I do everyone trying to call hogs; that it’s just like fishing. Sometimes they bite sometimes they don’t. Today we met for some hog callin’. This place looked good! There was plenty of good hog sign. We picked the first spot and called for about 6 minutes and nothing showed up. We moved a few hundred yards down the draw and set up again. This time in less than two minutes after calling I could clearly hear and hog coming hard! She was less than 20 yards from us when he took the shot. I can’t tell you how many guys would have blown this shot in the heat of the moment, he did good though. She ran 20-30 yards and dropped.

I have 3 photos I took from the video and the hero shot.

1235428_594393887265975_1640322062_n.jpg

1238135_594393950599302_1918995195_n.jpg

1235484_594394160599281_1190318923_n.jpg

1240624_594394353932595_1004493983_n.jpg

this is what the guy had to say about our hunt{PS before anyone asks, I DON'T GUIDE}

Elbert wrote: "I gotta say, this was one of the most memorable hunts in my life. When I heard Glenn give his speech at the Hog Appreciation Day Seminar I told myself I had to find out more. I knew that hogs were intelligent enough to communicate with other hogs and therefore should respond to calling. I told Glenn I had to see it for myself and he did not disappoint! We met this evening at 5:30 and we had this hog less than an hour later. Glenn knows his stuff and proved it to me. He has tons of hunting experience and makes an excellent guide. And the greatest part is that he catches it all on video for you! This sow came in to the call like a, like a, like a wild hog of course! She almost had me toss the rifle and reach for a big stick, she looked so close in the scope."

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some of these hogs lately... some LONG snouts on 'em !!!

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
she had a heck of a hackle also. I would have sworn she was a boar!

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
no no no those guys aint for real. I'm the HOG ZOMBIE

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The stars where in line that day, love it when that happens.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great pic/story. Congratz on the call and kill. I have given the hog calling thing a try more than once. I am pretty good at calling coyotes so I figured it would be "damn near" the same. W R O N G !!

But like calling yotes fishing,or rattling up a buck.......nothing shows sooooooo....are you doing something wrong or are the target animals within hearing range ????????? I have "experimented" with the two basic types of calls for hogs......squeal and grunt...and all variations and volumes of these.

Calling yotes or rattling deer on the snow you can do some scouting after the calling setup and tell if they "came close". I have seen fresh yote and deer tracks in the snow less than 50yds from where I was calling. No such luck with hogs. Of course the wind is a huge factor in your calling. Sometimes it changes very briefly or swirls and the hunter does not detect it. I ALWAYS carry a "puffer" with me in one of the very most handy pockets. When I feel a wind change is possible I sample the air as needed. Usually quite often.

Hunters also must remember that as the temp drops so does the air. It moves towards the ground and disperses. Sun comes up,the ground starts heating up,the air(and scent) rises and somewhat disperses.

Calling all critters is extremely satisfying if you can get it to work. Most people quit trying because it is generally so hard. In my experiences......moose are fairly easy,bear are harder,deer and yotes even harder,hogs and snakes are about at the same difficulty level. --- pruhdlr

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
if you can stand to watch an hour long seminar watch my seminar on youtube and see if it will helps. my channel is HogZombies As of right now I think it is the 2nd video. In the middle of the seminar I show several clips of hogs coming to the call.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Just finished the vid. Extremely informative. I absolutely love learning stuff.

Couple of comments and questions: 1. At the 36:00 minute part of the vid,you demonstrate the hog call that is around your neck. Seems to me that the TONE you use is quite a bit higher than what I produce with my call. I now feel that my prior problems with calling hogs is the tone that I have been using. Quite a bit deeper than the one you demonstrated. Will switch and see if I can become better.

2. THERMAL ---> I have a ATN/ThOR on top of a 6.8SPC AR. You are absolutely right with the extremely positive comments you made re. thermal. BUT.......I have found that my thermal works best during the times of darkness. No moon,no bright stars,no city lights. IOW...as black of night as possible. The difference could just be that you are looking over vast expanses of fields while I am looking down a road or over a 1A food plot.

3. Bright nights and hogs ---> I have also found that over my way(NW Fla) the hog activity is greater during periods of the darkest nights. Especially the moon phase <50% and/or 100% cloud cover. The brightest nights I have the less hog movement. The same applies to calling yotes. The same held true calling yotes in Maine. Full bright moon amounted to very little movement. The above,given we do not have the concentration of hogs where I hunt vs where you hunt. Also a difference in terrain. My hunting club has no fields of any size. The woods are super thick. I either have to hunt the smallish food plots or the roadways.

I will be hunting tonight...will give some of your tips a try. Thanks for the most informative vid. I am never too old to learn. --- pruhdlr

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
the tone is deceiving recorded. I like deeper tones, but at this point I can't tell if tone matters a whole lot. after all hogs come in all sizes.

The CNVD-T works fine light or not. In fact I use it a lot during the day to see hogs in dense brush. Of course I can't see the whole hog just pieces. if it's solid I can't see jack! What I have discovered is that hogs in our area move better in open areas on bright nights. There are always some exceptions.

If you stop learning your either dead or not paying attention. I will tell you now. I know a lot about hogs and I'm far from knowing enough! I learn new things every year, month and sometime week.

Glad you watched it and enjoyed it. I also am willing to listen and learn. Sometimes even newbies notice obvious things I've overlooked.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Inktristink video. In watching many of Randy Anderson's 'yote calling vids, it's obviously apparent that there's a difference between making 'yote noises and speaking to them in their lingo. It would only make sense to "Habla Hogspaniol", rather than to just make random pig noises. Sort of like a fishing lure, any lure can catch a fish... but, WHEN is the proper time to use that lure? What is it bout the fish's perspective that triggers the strike? Any given vocalization "can" trigger a desired response.... so long as it's consistent with what's interesting a given hog at a given moment in a given location.

In watching kids (4H competitions at State Fairs) show their pigs... (I call it "pig-whacking"), they use a stick to herd the animal to get it to follow them by tapping 'em on one side or the other. I'm wondering if a particular vocalization could be used with a call to do most of the intended work? Have their pig tuned in to the vocalization of their handler, and follow 'em around like they would their mother?

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Re. thermal.......it's expensive...YEP...however I feel that it is worth the price to the DEDICATED hog,yote, and the general predator hunter. When guiding in Maine,if I would have had thermal,I would have been been on the top of the world. I spent many nights on the edge of a frozen lake or stream,looking out during a full moon,to see anything moving. Thermal would have been great.

I actually ended up selling guns and optics to buy my thermal. It took me 3 months to gather enough to order the ATN/ThOR. It is super difficult to explain thermal to the Gen III NV user. Most do not believe that thermal can me "that much better". All that have looked thru mine have changed their tune.

My thermal is a stand alone unit. Small,light,easy to balance on a weapon,easy to use. No red dot sight,no magnifier,no scope,no IR illuminator,no laser. NOTHING sits on top my gun but the 8" long 30oz thermal.

Absolutely nothing hides from thermal. In the brush,chest high grass,behind a bush,in the rain,in the swamp fog. In the smoke from land burns. If 1/2" of the animal is viewable...I see it. If the animal is completely hidden,just as soon as it moves...I see it.

I was extremely lucky in that I was able to try out thermal before I bought one. I was about a week away from ordering Gen III NV. Here's hoping all of you will be that lucky. --- pruhdlr

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I hear ya EOTech furnishes my thermal.

Ratdog, mind if I use that? Hogspaniol! LOVE IT!

yes hogs can be trained to vocal commands. I promise you if todays kids would do this they would win every showmanship competition.

as far as vocalization, the most productive sound I have at this time is Sow Protection. Mainly because it bring hogs of all sizes ages and sex. However I have a huge library of sounds I haven't edited for use yet.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Go ahead... but, ya heard it here first. LOL

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
think I'll use it in my sig line. Don't know why I never thought of it?o_O

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I love thermal also but it can't see through glass and it still does not have the resolution of my pvs-14. That said I can't wait to get a w1000!

erForman

Greenwood, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I need to say thanks again to Glenn for a great hunt. Also glad that he pointed me to this forum, y'all seems like my kind of folks!
Elbert Forman - first called hog kill 9/25/2013.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome and Congrats Elbert!

erForman

Greenwood, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just wanted everyone to know I was still out hunting without Glenn. Shot the black one just after 7pm coming into a feeder pipe filled with diesel soaked corn.
I shot the second one about 3:30 in the afternoon at a mud hole. I've never caught them out in the open at that time of day before.
hog2.jpg hog2a.jpg