Ya GOTTA Pay Attention!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One of my co-workers (last Tuesday) learned a lesson. He generally uses cordless power tools, his cordless saw has an electric brake feature when the trigger is released. Well... he broke out a new corded "sidewinder" DeWalt he's had for a couple of years (but, hasn't used it yet) and was making a cut with his left hand. The boy don't even know HOW he did it, but after releasing the trigger (and he THINKS it was after removing the saw from the work), he managed to SOMEHOW sweep his right hand (as he was turning) right into the spinning-down blade... beneath the foot, above the closed/properly functioning blade guard. Yep, that NEW blade took his booger-hook off his middle finger, right at he cuticle, in front of the first joint.

I find the same principles of trigger discipline for firearms apply to use of power tools as well. Booger-hook OFF the noise switch until ready to make noise. Be deliberate with your movement. So many bad things can happen very quickly with a power saw!

Yeah... and then there's ROUTERS !!! Got me a new trim router the other day. Used it the first time yesterday, and was being VERY mindful of the mechanics of using it !!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
power tools are as dangerous as guns and people get hurt...

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If not more dangerous because people generally don't recognize the dangers.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ouch!!! My dad took off his thumb and index finger on his left hand about 10 years ago. He was using a battery powered circular saw to cut hardwood flooring. He had a small piece to cut and decided to just hold it in his hand and cut. The battery power was low, the saw bound up, kicked back at him, he unintentionally pushed it forward again and right into his thumb.

He was on a job site and the other guys wouldn't take him to the hospital. They were worthless scum. He drove himself to the ER with a rag wrapped around it all. The doc was able to stitch it all together and save the digits. He almost has full use of them now, but his left hand was weak for about 3 years. Now it hurts really bad when is cold outside.

Be careful with power tools. They cut through people like butter. Flesh is pretty squishy stuff compared to building materials.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A guy who worked for me once said you should never trust a carpenter with all his fingers...not enough experience.

I don't run a chain saw for fear of what I might lop off. I do everything with a pole saw where the chain can't reach me...so only people around me are in danger. ;)

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When I was young and hungover trying to beat a big Wisconsin winter storm, cutting wood for the house I put my chainsaw into my foot, cut the knuckle on my second toe pretty bad. Wrapped it up with a greasy rag and went back to work, put the saw into the same foot... big toe, blood was squirting up to my waist. Had to call it a day. My bad.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another guy on staff had a close call that was TOO close a couple of weeks ago. Worm drive saw, poor technique for making a hand-held cut and had the guard tied back. He cut through his jeans/skivvies and nicked his skin... almost lost his stick/stones in the process. I told him to have his jeans mended as a reminder every time he put 'em on after that.

D

djones

i've been thinking about adding a battery powered chainsaw to my arsenal for tracking wounded hogs, but i guess i'll pass now.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Suggestion: New sticky for all chainsaw / tool injury cautionary tales.

"Bits and Pieces"

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Suggestion: New sticky for all chainsaw / tool injury cautionary tales.

"Bits and Pieces"
You know...if they would just make it a law to put a sticker on the chainsaw depicting a man cutting his foot off with an X across it.... a guy would probably never get injured by one.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are you certain?

Seems like just today I heard about some guy in Wisconsin who saw a live first person POV video feed of a chainsaw going into his own foot.

And then did it again.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Goodness yuck that had to hurt.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Clearly his sticker was missing.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
DJ,

A battery powered chainsaw? Are you crazy? You'll kill yourself! You almost emasculated yourself with your zipper last week! Did you forget already? Did you buy the sweatpants like you said you were going to?

image.jpeg

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
DJ,

A battery powered chainsaw? Are you crazy? You'll kill yourself! You almost emasculated yourself with your zipper last week! Did you forget already? Did you buy the sweatpants like you said you were going to?

View attachment 3445

Ack !! I rode nearly 100K miles with a core bunch of guys (murdersickle). One of them did just that, in a really BAD way (years ago) he once told. Says he's got a forked stick. I declined his offer to show the gang during the telling of that tale. I can't even imagine going to the ER with a tale like that (no pun intended) and having to endure the "fix".

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is going to leave a mark..........

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I am going to share this. Was using NV a couple of weeks ago and tripped on something I did not see. Messed up the left hand going down on a tree worst was the poison oak that broke out two days later. Was not good.
2688dfdbbcd45351fa2007e04c386bbd_zpsm0plkhjn.jpg

3a8bdbf8bf4d6469c062e4298a487b84_zpshomp10az.jpg

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter