Windows 10 Upgrade

Galveston340

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
....had anyone of you that had a previous version of Windows had any issues with this free upgrade? I dropped it this afternoon, and have to say that even though I am one of those that stuck with XP for the longest before I went Win7 it seems to be a pretty good improvement. Seems to load a lot faster on my home built gaming/vid editing box and has some features I can use. Of course, some I don't need!
Only issue I have come up with thus far is sound card issues, but think it might be a driver issue. Will have to check on that when I get back home. BUT HECK, when had Microshaft ever given out a new OP system for free in the past?!!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My Win7 laptop took a dump. Guess my new one will be a Win10 version.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yes the upgrade is free if you have a legal win product now, For 500 I am just going to buy a new notebook with it on and keep my old one w win7 as backup

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Windows 10 still has some bugs to be worked out. Like audio issues, that dreaded blue screen and icons disappearing. Also using Chrome can be a daunting task to change they want you using Bing and changing it is difficult. From windows 7 I don't see a big reason to upgrade personally.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
IE is reportedly replaced in Win10 with a new browser called "Edge". And the Start Button makes a return for those who don't like NOT having it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
win 7 and firefox, I just don't have any issues since I stopped using IE 3 years ago.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My laptop with XP is dying and my desktop with Vista took a dump. I had to buy two new units with 8.1. I've never been so frustrated in my entire life......I'm nursing XP along, and my new laptop has been on loan to our associate pastor, his has a virus.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When they quit supporting XP last year I got rid of those laptops. I put win 7 on the ones I have now and works good for me. I always download Avast virus blocker, it's free and works well. Also download ccleaner from Cnet and run it once a week. Have kept viruses at bay for quite a long time doing that.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My long dead desktop with XP is but a faded memory, LOL.

My Vista equipped Toshiba laptop served me well for 7yrs. before the power supply died. This thing was a tank... Vista? Not so much.

I bought an ASUS laptop next with Win7, less than three yrs. later, it won't boot up w/o a boot disc (don't have one)... suspect the motherboard has issues. Win7 served me well, kept up with my housekeeping/antivirus protection. The hardware has disappointed me, although 7 wasn't bad.

My Surface 2 uses Windows RT 8.1. Not bad, but isn't compatible with Quicken since it's not a full version OS. I miss the real keyboard and mouse.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The ones we are on now are old Vista machines upgraded to Win 7 and never have a problem. Hey for 500 or less you can get a modern 17" notebook, all I am waiting on is for them to come preloaded with 10 before buying.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a Surface Pro 3 which I like except for Windows 8 so looking forward to see if 10 is better. Now my hand built war wagon gaming machine is still running 7 been bullet proof. Will try out 10 on Surface Pro first before I change over the War Wagon

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I'm afraid to upgrade. I'm going to backup everything more than I have it backing up now before I throw it in any of my computers.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My wife's Surface Pro 3 we upgraded today went quick. Everything seems to operate I.e. Loaded programs. Looks like 7 with a twist. Still in line for my Surface Pro 3 will advise.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I did mine today. With exception of loosing my favorites it works very well.

Galveston340

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fixed my sound related issue I had since the upgrade to Win10. Noticed that it was showing that I had my speakers connected to the digital output with no analog option. Downloaded the Realtek 64 bit HD Codecs and it resolved the issue.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OK, my computer guy says wait, 3 mos or so then I will buy a computer preloaded w win 10.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My Surface Pro 3 upgraded today no,issues looks lots better than 8