Who has a Gopro and uses it in the field on the hogs?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Inquiring minds and all that.

What experiences do we have with the things?

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just got one along w my MDVR for use at the lease, daytime.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have 2 -Gopro 3 plus's. I use one on my rifle and one on either my helmet or on a tripod with remote control trying to get shot from "other" side of the critter.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have the hero black I would use it more but I have had several problems. Main problem is battery life it seems short to me. If you leave the unit off then it's fine but then you have to make sure it's on more often than not it fails to turn on and record in real hunting situations where you only have a short time to react.

Saying that it takes great quality video for close up action if I had two more of them I think it would get used more for B roll stuff. If you want it for action kills you better get close like 20-30 yards close.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have an original gopro Hero, a gopro 3+ black, and a 4 black. For my purposes, the 3+ gives just about as good a picture as the 4 black does, but the battery lasts much longer.

Also Sam's Club has the 3+ black for $299 through the end of the month. I may pick up another....

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have the Hero3 White. Just got it a few months ago, still trying to learn how to use it... as well as have been gathering some of the clutter one needs to use 'em in varied ways.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have 2 -Gopro 3 plus's. I use one on my rifle and one on either my helmet or on a tripod with remote control trying to get shot from "other" side of the critter.

can you show how yours is mounted on the helmet??

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OK I have one of those but also have a replacement for the front of the helmet to use and adjust.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
gopro mount on helmet 003.JPG Frank, I used a Harley helmet I had and did a quick spray can camo job. Mounbt is just stuck on there. The tripod, I took off the sticky rubber pad, removed the screw for cameras etc... and stuck the pad back down and then the gopro sticky pad on that. Works great. The helmet sucks when it is hot, which is almost always here.

Galveston340

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
...only place I use a GoPro is on my boats. Their low light capabilities aren't for crap unless you modify them. But, they take pretty good videos . Change the settings from the "wide angle" to get a better image/video.

There are better compact cameras out there if you look that are more suited to hunting applications.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
...only place I use a GoPro is on my boats. Their low light capabilities aren't for crap unless you modify them. But, they take pretty good videos . Change the settings from the "wide angle" to get a better image/video.

There are better compact cameras out there if you look that are more suited to hunting applications.
Agreed. They are great for mountain biking to see the trail in front of you but 50 yds away looks like 100.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ok change to what setting?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ok change to what setting?
I think he is talking about the Gopro 3 plus. The plus stands for the "wide angle" view which can be changed to normal. My videos are all on wide angle. I will try the normal size next time.

Galveston340

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
..Frank, take it off of "wide view" but keep the resolution cranked up. You can take your videos (DAYTIME) and then use the GoPro editing program to crop the video you want to use without having that fish eye effect.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks, will get on it, the clone has a 170* lens will see if I can get that off.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have the hero 3 black but I mostly use it on my motorcycle or my VW. I have a few mounts that will mount it on a rifle but I haven't tried to shoot with it on there yet. I doubt you would see a lot.