which tripod to use with the M-LOK Tripod Adapter

shannon

I have the M-LOK tri pod adapter and I'm looking to buy the tri pod. which one would you get and why? doesnt have to be fancy as I am not looking on dropping 500 bucks on one.

AKay

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You get what you pay for. The better units are lighter with better heads. They also have better quick disconnect systems.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
just make sure you get a good strong one. You do not want a 3K gun with a 5K thermal to colapse because you would not spend a couple hundred more.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I use Manfrotto M190 (metal) tripod for the lighter guns and M055 for the heavier ones.
Shown are 6.5G(18) on the left and .300WM(24) on the right.

e0bhTBJh.jpg

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I can actually run the .300WM (about 20 pounds fully loaded in the field) off either tripod ...

The M055 tripod on Amazon is showing about $260 ... the RC322 head is showing about 160 ... so yes the combined price is about $420 ... I've been using the m190 in the field for 1 month shy of 2 years ... I have been able to hit heat steel very consistently off these tripods with these weapons systems out to 500yds ... with thermal clipons. I have not hunted with these setups yet ... the price of stability is reduced mobility. I hunt with shorter lighter setups ... like 5.56(10.3) with Mk3 35mm 2.5x 640(60) either standing unsupported or off 1-leg primos shooting stick.

YkX5Zy8h.jpg

I can't find the M190 (the lighter tripod) on Amazon any more ... was it discontinued? But that joystick head (the RS322-2) is great for rapid panning ... so definitely recommend that head for (bullet) shooting.

I would like to try shooting at a yote at 500yds off tripod, but creating scenarios like that around here not easier than getting them closer in. All yote/bobcat kills to date have been under 100yds. But I have it on wish list to try it at 500yds (or so) one day.

In other terrain, it might be normal to shoot yotes at 500yds off tripod day or night, but I live in the flint hills (Kansas) along a creek ... lots of cricks and hills, so not a lot of 500yd+ shots.

Last edited:

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Ok finally found the lighter tripod I have, the 3 segment M190 ...

Manfrotto MT190XPRO3 Aluminum Tripod MT190XPRO3 B&H Photo Video Stated support limit is 15 pounds ... but as I said, I've used it many times for 20 lb rifle.

And here is the 322rc-2 joystick head on amazon ...

https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-322RC2-Joystick-Head-Short/dp/B000JLK5PK/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_icp_0_6

So $200 for the tripod from B&H and $170 for the head from Amazon/K&M camera ... $370 ... well at least under your $500 no-go price !

This is solid gear I've used it heavily night and day for 23 months with 13 pound 6.5G(18) and 20 pound .300WM(24) (these are the fully loaded field weights) and no issues. Just keep the tension tight on the head.

All that said, I would call magpul before ordering to make 100% sure the m-lok will mate to the 322rc-2 head. The m-lok product description says it works with manfrotto rc interface so it should ... but I would ask. I use the McRee precision interface and it is the same idea as the m-lok one you have, rail mount to the gun with manfrotto qd mount on the button and for me they work great. I still use the PIG mounts for guns that I don't want to put the hard interfaces on ... but I have three of the mcree interfaces and they all work fine with the manfrotto tripods.

WhoCares

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I love my RRS setup but it’s expensive. I personally cant imagine a better setup. You can get it with a Mlock or keymod

4D1C8ED0-8479-4B61-85B5-5E07E449CBA4.jpeg

F74B05DB-1F02-4D6E-8E56-5C46A8004E03.jpeg

WhoCares

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
^^^^^ Yes and it pans 360 degrees in total silence. I can’t imagine a situation where a ball head would be required vs the leveling base. I’ve also seen some guys using the leveling base with a different brand tripod to save money but I’m uncertain of which size & brand they are using

Here is a good video that explains all the options in good detail

Last edited: