Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What a great pic!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wow! I just thought I knew a little anatomy.

Hoggin

I'm about to start my 3rd hog hunting season. In my first season, I shot 22 hogs on private land with corn and game camera. Any .223 or greater shot to the ear will drop a hog instantly without spoiling the meat with adrenalin. I've personally seen a .270 ricochet off of a head-on shot (my boy shot him between the eyes and we both saw the bullet ricochet off). If the hog is looking at you, forehead shots sometimes hit their plate armor, sometimes drop them. Head-on eye socket shots are like profile ear canal shots... excellent with any caliber but you only have 1/2" margin of error. Largest hog was 500#. I learned all that my first season.

My 2nd season was on WMA land as the private land I previously hunted on was sold. It took me 6 weeks to locate the hogs in quantity, so I only took 10 hogs last season. Most WMA hunting is with .22 rimfire. I dropped a 55# hog in the head 9 times with a .17... so that was the last time I ever used a .17. You have to use HP rounds with rimfire, preferably high velocity (CCI has some good rounds). I shot many hogs in the head with .22, watched them drop, gathered my gear and made my weapon safe, went to get the hog and he was gone. Probably happened 10-15 times. I was hitting them in the head, profile view, going for ear canal and knocking them out. Their head plate armor is just too strong and margin of error too small for rimfire. Then I started with rimfire neck shots and immediately starting harvesting hogs. My 14 year old son and I walked up to a sleeping hog both carrying .22lr. My son stepped on a twig, another hog we didn't know was there started running, I dropped him with one neck shot then 5 more hogs jumped up and started runnibg. My boy shot once to the neck, dropped a hog. I acquired second target and shot once again to the neck, then the rest of the hogs were gone. 3 hogs in 2 seconds with .22lr neck shots.

The season in LA on WMA land opens this coming weekend and my boys and I are bringing .22lr to the fight, prepped to shoot for the neck. Just got my small caliber suppressor in, so we will start with my Savage .22 bolt action suppressed with subsonic ammo. Hope to quietly harvest squirrels while hogging, and also increase our chances of taking multiple hogs at once with suppressed fire. Hope this helps you.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's funny stuff, hogs running off. I use to hunt with just my Ruger 22/22mag revolver and would dump 250# hogs and have them get up and take off by the time I got there! I never tried neck shots but am ready to now!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sling shot, the only way to go, why waste the gun powder?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Amateur... THIS is my way...

Crocodile-Dundee.jpg

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The last one I shot with a 22 was a little over 500 yards. The boar weighed a good 600 lbs. but I had confidence in the round. He was downhill around the side of a mountain out of sight. I held into the wind over the top of another mountain and let it fly. I thought I heard the bullet impact and went to check it out. I woke up from my dream and did not see the outcome. Sorry no pics.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Really after all this silliness I believe you should use the caliber that is best for your success in a humane kill. I know BB guns have killed hogs but in the AR platform the 6.8/308 is best, 30-30 minimum, 44mag, 243, 270 are all good to go too. Best of luck with your alternatives but talk to me after hundreds of kills not 30-40 as a representative sampling.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The last one I shot with a 22 was a little over 500 yards. The boar weighed a good 600 lbs. but I had confidence in the round. He was downhill around the side of a mountain out of sight. I held into the wind over the top of another mountain and let it fly. I thought I heard the bullet impact and went to check it out. I woke up from my dream and did not see the outcome. Sorry no pics.
you just need to work out more

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you have big enough pipes you can just chuck stuff at them and they will die.
I saw that video where TLM was throwing batteries at that hog, I believe he killed it but wouldn't show the video because it took 2 throws. Perfectionist....

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't need a gun, I've got a Donk.

56893-4108.gif

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I saw that video where TLM was throwing batteries at that hog, I believe he killed it but wouldn't show the video because it took 2 throws. Perfectionist....
I heard he threw the first one to make it run, then the 2nd one to kill it. You know how he loves those running shots......

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Really after all this silliness I believe you should use the caliber that is best for your success in a humane kill. I know BB guns have killed hogs but in the AR platform the 6.8/308 is best, 30-30 minimum, 44mag, 243, 270 are all good to go too. Best of luck with your alternatives but talk to me after hundreds of kills not 30-40 as a representative sampling.
The 6.5 Grendel will do anything the 6.8 will do. :p