Weekend Boar

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Timing is everything. I went after this guy three nights in a row before finally getting him. He showed up early on Thursday and so I showed up even earlier on Friday and stayed late, but then the hog showed up a couple of hours after I left, early Saturday morning. So I showed up late on Saturday night around 2300 hrs hoping to see the hog around 0100 or 0200 hrs on Sunday morning, but unbeknownst to me, he had probably already been there and gone. Sunday afternoon found Bob and Toly at my place and we spent the afternoon sighting in one of my rifles (Toly is shooting it in the video), shooting Bob's Grendel Pistol (remind me not to ever by one of those), and then trying to beat Toly at a game of shooting quarters at 200 and 300 yards with one of Bob's Grendels (not the pistol). We came close at 300, but Toly cleaned our clocks at 200, getting more and better hits than Bob or me.

They had to head back to Dallas and so I geared up for the night. Less than an hour after they left and about 30 minutes after I got into the stand with all my gear to go the entire night again, I hear this "shoom shoom shoom shoom" as the hog crossed my clearing at a fast trot like he was late for dinner. I ducked down behind the skirt of my tree stand because I figure he could see me as well as I could see him. I got my muffs on, scope on, and and recorder on, and then slowly came up over the rail with the rifle, spying him through the scope, as he stood there eating, unaware, happy as a hog on fresh corn, which he was....

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice shot Brian !! Stop, Drop, and Curly Shuffle. Gotta love seein' all that blood pumping out the "goes-inta" like that.

Are you saying that Grendel pistola "barks" a little loud? LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Angry Bird and cookies?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are you saying that Grendel pistola "barks" a little loud? LOL

It is a bit loud, yes, but the recoil is a what I would consider much less than reasonably manageable. An SBR format would still have some stout (as compared to what I am used to shooting with a 20" hbar) recoil, but readily managed. However, without being on the shoulder, the gun goes free-ranging during recoil. I discovered that you don't want to go light on the grip with your off hand. It jumped out of my hand on the first shot, LOL. By shot #2, I had a decided flinch. By shot #4, I had things down, but the gun still went squirrely off target during recoil, as in nowhere near to being still on target.

I came away with the feeling that this is not an advantageous hunting configuration, which was why Bob built the pistol, not wanting to get a tax stamp for an SBR, but wanting a compact and very light Grendel. I told him that I thought he should just pony up the bucks and make it truly practical and do the tax stamp for the SBR. Maybe there is an art to shooting AR pistols that I don't know, but a Grendel pistol is not a gun for quick, controlled followup shots when dealing with wounded hogs or sounders.

Frank, we will have cookies for the kids when they get home from school!!

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shoot! Those quarters @ 200 had you ready. I like how you threw some of the LonePunMan's words in when talking about the exit wound! LOL.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good for you Brian, the cookie man. I have an 8.5" 6.8 works great but does have more recoil than the 16" barrel and is much louder.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You live a charmed life! I'm having difficulty locating any hogs, and you have them come out in broad daylight at 45 yards!

What brass catcher are you using?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You live a charmed life! I'm having difficulty locating any hogs, and you have them come out in broad daylight at 45 yards!

Yeah, and it only took me 3 hunts comprised of 14 hours in the stands, 6.5 hours of driving time over 300 miles, a half can of repellent, 2 thermacell pads and propane bottles, and then 1 round of ammunition.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I drove 85 miles last Tuesday to check cameras and put out corn. Repeated that this morning. Have done that at least 12 times since my last kill. To say I'm in a drought is an understatement! But at least my luck with hogs is better than DJ's luck with the ladies!

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Excellent video, as always and persistence is a great virtue!

TomH FW

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great shot, great vid, and great anatomy lesson! Lot more damage than was apparent from outside.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great shot, great vid, and great anatomy lesson! Lot more damage than was apparent from outside.

Yeah, I think I may have misjudged some of the impacts of previous shots over the years when there were minor exit holes. I am realizing that while the bullet may escape the hide, the hide is a lot tougher than the internal soft tissue (no surprise), and so a small exit may mask a lot of really bad damage. I have skinned a couple of hogs where the bullet zipped through without a lot of damage, but you don't really know from the outside unless you have a blowout.

D

djones

looks like a cool hunting spot. angry bird might not be so angry if you wouldn't put him downwind of your dead hogs... just an idea.

scram - i'll have you know ladies find me veeeery desirable!!!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nicely done

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Smoked him!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice job Brian. Really good shooting too. You just don't like to track them into the brush do you.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hey Brian it is not as much fun if you don't have to go into the thick stuff after them. Great job.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sweet video. Awesome when hard work and persistence pays off!