Veterans Xtreme Adventures

sneedb82

LoneStarBoars Supporter
In March, I had the pleasure of being invited to the Annual Hog Roundup in Halletsville, Texas for the Texas Dog Hunter's Association. While there, I was introduced to two gentlemen that run and oversee the Non-profit under the name Veterans Xtreme Adventures. They are a 501(c)3 organization whose mission is "provide [a] professional adventure guiding for our nation's wounded combat veteran's". In our conversations about what they do, and how they do it, the conversation turned to ARs. We had a few present to show off at the show, and they liked what they saw. Well, long story short, they were intrigued and interested in a .458 SOCOM.

We happened to have a barrel/bolt combo on order for some time, and thankfully one showed up this summer in our down time. We received multiple donations after making the announcement that we'd be putting it together, and at no cost to the organization. I donated the time and the majority of the parts to build the rifle, with additional parts and funds coming from Facebook friends.

I plan to get the guys to South Texas soon; and with the help of some benefactor land owners, that can happen sooner than later. The program that VXA promotes is they get everyone hand's on. From the ranchers/land owners, helpers/handlers, the veteran(s) that they bring out to hunt has as much camaraderie as possible in the field for a truly remarkable experience. The guys at VXA, Matt and Paul, both have their own set of hog dogs, and they truly have a passion for running hogs with dogs and sticking them knives; but at the same time, enjoy rifle hunting as well.

All veteran's are screened to make sure that utilizing a rifle is not a detriment to their PTSD or care treatments, as well as being able to physically be in the field. Matt, one of the co-founders, is an engineer and works diligently to make certain all accoutrements are available for everyone to hunt: be it motorized chairs, assisted vehicles for the riders safety, etc. All hunts are filmed in 1080p HD footage, and provided to the hunters for a lifelong token of thanks and remembrance of the hunt. These hunts end up being a "make-a-wish style hunt for our Warriors and Soldiers". Truly a remarkable team.

Since embarking on the build of this rifle, Matt and Paul have become close friends of mine, and I truly thank them for allowing us to build them this rifle. I was truly blessed by the amount of folks that reached out to us to help with the build!

Here's the finished product:

VXA_458Rifle_1_zps547bf5c6.jpg

VXA_458_Rifle2_zpse66499c8.jpg

VXA_458_Rifle3_zpsf8a3c6cd.jpg

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice!! Thank you for your effort!!
I have done several Wounded Warrior builds to give to individuals who would never be able to build one, a 6.8 rifle and the a 6.8 pistol and a 556 rifle. Very self satisfying to me and all the donations from my local forum and the 6.8 forum just made them a huge group effort.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Every once in a while I see a small glimmer of hope for our country.

You Sir, have given me some today.

Thank you

sneedb82

LoneStarBoars Supporter
Every once in a while I see a small glimmer of hope for our country.

You Sir, have given me some today.

Thank you

Thank you; If it weren't for guys like Paul and Matt, I wouldn't have had much to go off of.... this rifle is ultimately for Paul, as Matt has mentioned he has his favorite rifle to shoot; Paul on the other hand did not. Paul's a retired weapons sergeant, and former ODA group member.... so he's played with the .458 before and is ready to scratch the itch again I'm sure.

I certainly hope that the folks that see this will jump on board for the next build we do, if it happens, so they know that we're not joking around when we say we're putting them in the right hands! Thanks again guys.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great work Sneed. The rifle looks great and the cause is even better.

sneedb82

LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome deal 2Mag!! Where can I get one of those wood grained mag's?
hahaha... I wish they were for sale. However, that is actually a portion of the wonderful walnut displays that my dad made me for taking photos or displaying at the shop.

He made me two, but for some reason, identical mag dimensions... me thinks it's time for a .308 mag block now :D

sneedb82

LoneStarBoars Supporter
Where you in the 82nd by chance?

Negative. Unfortunately for me, and I suppose the military, they chose to not allow me to continue the last week of basic training for on an EPTS (asthma) and I wasn't able to continue training.

82 is the year I was born.

sneedb82

LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ah, I gotcha. Sorry to hear that. Thanks for serving in another way though, that means more to us vets than anything else!

I appreciate that. I may not share 100% of the brotherhood, but I'm very thankful to the friends and relatives that have welcomed me regardless. And now that I own and operate STA, my goal is to operate it to facilitate as much to give back as I possibly can!