UPDATED: Pulsar CORE FXQ38

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This is a brief overview of the Pulsar CORE FXQ38. This unit can be used as a handheld or as a thermal forward attachment (clip on) in front of a day scope. This is accomplished by swapping out the ocular lens for an adapter that links to a bushing that is attached to the front of a day scope. More to come on how this all works.

The unit uses the same 384X288 50hz sensor that the Apex and quantum line of thermals use. This is a very easy thermal unit to use and doesn't have all the internal options that other scopes have. It is very similar in operation to the CORE RXQ30V in that is doesn't have video out. But, it does have brightness, contrast, 3 preset scenario modes, dead pixel correction, and a way to zero the thermal with your day scope to maintain the same point of impact. The screen is a nice emerald green that is easy on the eyes during multiple hours of use. Hot items have a nice nuclear green glow to them like irradiated zombies or something. It makes it easy for things to stand out.

There is a 2X digital zoom on top of the 2X native magnification of the lens. You can swap the polarity of the color palette (white hot/black hot, but in hues of green). The viewing display is a 640X480 AMOLED.

More video through the scope will follow.

EDIT: To clarify. The FXQ38 and 50 can mount to more then a 42mm objective. There are 3 adapters. Each adapter comes with a range of bushings. Here is a chart to help clear it up. Even the chart is mos leading. The important th I'm my to inspect is the outer diameter of the housing of the objective side of the scope. Match that to the closest bushing.

Last edited:

Randy

Iowa
This is a brief overview of the Pulsar CORE FXQ38. This unit can be used as a handheld or as a thermal forward attachment (clip on) in front of a day scope. This is accomplished by swapping out the ocular lens for an adapter that links to a bushing that is attached to the front of a day scope. More to come on how this all works.

The unit uses the same 384X288 50hz sensor that the Apex and quantum line of thermals use. This is a very easy thermal unit to use and doesn't have all the internal options that other scopes have. It is very similar in operation to the CORE RXQ30V in that is doesn't have video out. But, it does have brightness, contrast, 3 preset scenario modes, dead pixel correction, and a way to zero the thermal with your day scope to maintain the same point of impact. The screen is a nice emerald green that is easy on the eyes during multiple hours of use. Hot items have a nice nuclear green glow to them like irradiated zombies or something. It makes it easy for things to stand out.

There is a 2X digital zoom on top of the 2X native magnification of the lens. You can swap the polarity of the color palette (white hot/black hot, but in hues of green). The viewing display is a 640X480 AMOLED.

Thank you for taking the time to educate us on this model. Great video. Your effort is very appreciated. Best regards.

Sidelight

LSB Member

Thanks for your insight. You mentioned in the video that the bottom of the housing accepted the weaver mount used on the rest of Pulsars scopes, is it a possibility that Pulsar are considering a future firmware upgrade to include some reticles?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks for your insight. You mentioned in the video that the bottom of the housing accepted the weaver mount used on the rest of Pulsars scopes, is it a possibility that Pulsar are considering a future firmware upgrade to include some reticles?

I don't have knowledge of any firmware updates in the near future. This scope is barely out in the wild right now. The point of the threaded bushings is to use them with a picatinny rail mount and place the thermal in front of a day optic.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Here is a little through the scope video and description of the menu/adjustment. Keep in mind this is recorded with a camera behind the scope. The image in the scope is better then what is shown in this video.

Drift

LSB Member
Thanks! That was the best review I have seen. My question would be "What is the smallest/shortest/lightest day scope you would recommend with the clip on?" It is the combination package after all, kinda like you need a boat+motor.

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I would think 3x and 4x acogs. I want one of these in front of a ta33 I have.

So no rail interface? Attaches to the scope with the adapter? Hmm.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The manual recommends a scope on the 3-6x range. However, you have to be aware of the lens diameter. The reason is because of the scope mount/bushings that attach the FXQ38. Please see the links below for the currently available mounts.

42mm
Forward (DFA) 42 mm Scope Adapter Pulsar Optics | Image. Qaulity.

56mm
Forward (DFA) 56 mm Scope Adapter Pulsar Optics | Image. Qaulity.

50mm
Forward (DFA) 50 mm Metal Scope Adapter Pulsar Optics | Image. Qaulity.

I'm not aware of a picatinny rail interface at the moment. The weaver rail from the digisight might work, but I haven't tried it and don't have one to try.

Sightmark sent me this scope Triple Duty 3-9x42 Riflescope DX to use with the FXQ38. It is a larger scope with turrets and a lighted reticle. The main issue is finding a day scope you like with the correct size objective lens to fit the adapters.

I should have all the pieces next week to complete the puzzle and mount the FXQ to a day scope.

Last edited:

Drift

LSB Member
With respect, that Sightmark which you describe as a "larger scope" is just about the shortest/lightest day optic I can find that would be compatible with the adapters. Hopefully Pulsar will come out with an adapter that will fit something like a 2x7x32 day optic bell.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I think they will if the customers let them know what they want. The majority of 3x day optics have a 40mm lens. I will find out what optics I have that the 42mm adapter will fit on.

A machine shop could always make some aluminum bushings to make it fit on whatever scope you want. It's not hard with some aluminum and a lathe. Make sure the shop splits the bushings so they squeeze as you tighten the scope mount. But, it would be preferred for pulsar to create a variety of sizes.

Last edited:

Drift

LSB Member
I have a Konus 1.5x6x42 in a drawer somewhere. It probably would fit. Quick review of that scope. It weighed 24 oz, the magnification ring was gritty and the red dot was not at center of crosshairs. I'll look into like your idea of having a machine shop work on my Minox 1.8x8x32 all around scope. I would never have thought of that on my own. Thanks!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Pulsar CORE FXQ38 and the devices required to attach it to a day optic.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
is it Collimated? sucks not to fit on a 40,or will it? If you have a 3-9 scope and leave it on 3? it that ok

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
is it Collimated? sucks not to fit on a 40,or will it? If you have a 3-9 scope and leave it on 3? it that ok

The adapter comes with several bushings. The measurement you need is the outside diameter of the scope, not the lens size. The 3-9x42 scope sightmark sent me uses the 50mm bushing. I used the 46mm bushing to mount it to my Nikon pro staff 3-9x40.

I'm not sure if it is collimated or not. I don't see it written in the manual. However, it does have an adjustment in the thermal to zero it with your day optic. The mounting system has very close tolerances and no play at all. I will report on repeatability when removing and installing the scope as soon as I get it all to the range.

Yes, if you have a 3-9 scope, you can leave it on 3 and be just fine. That's what I'm doing.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for being direct there!

Drift

LSB Member
I've not yet seen one, but here's a thought. While thermal spotters that can double as a clip on sound good, all that weight and length out front can be a problem..
So why not use a red dot like the Tru Glo 2x42 as your rifle day optic. It's about 5.5 inches long and 6.5 oz heavy. That should shift the center of gravity on your rifle 6-7 inches rearward.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've not yet seen one, but here's a thought. While thermal spotters that can double as a clip on sound good, all that weight and length out front can be a problem..
So why not use a red dot like the Tru Glo 2x42 as your rifle day optic. It's about 5.5 inches long and 6.5 oz heavy. That should shift the center of gravity on your rifle 6-7 inches rearward.

That's a good idea. I'm using the scope from Sightmark because they sent it to me as a package. Sellmark owns Sightmark and Pulsar.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
To help clarify things a little. The FXQ38 and 50 will attach to more then just a 42mm objective lens. The adapters come in 3 main sizes and have multiple bushing sizes. Here is a chart to clear things up. The important thing to know is the OUTER DIAMETER OF THE HOUSING on the objective side. Take this dimension and match it to the bushings that is closest. The 42, 50, and 56 on the left refers to the adapter model. Each model have different sized bushings they ship with.

Last edited:

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Here is some video through a day scope and into the FXQ38.